• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think I will switch up my left and right thigh holster setup to 45 in dominant hand and 9 mm off hand to see if it improves my accuracy and shot intervals.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I’ve recently began a love affair with the Commander sized 1911 in both steel and lightweight. I’ve shot 2011’s and consider them a whole different beast. But just can’t wrap my head around 9mm in a 1911….. although I was eyeballing a DW Guardian in 38 super last week.

Attachments

• IMG_5347.jpeg
      IMG_5347.jpeg
      79.1 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited:

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I have 3 1911's. 4.25" in .380 at about 18oz. 5" in 9mm at about 40oz. And a 4" in .45 acp at about 30oz. First 2 are great range guns. Very little recoil and accurate. Started having wrist problems which is why I bought them in the first placed as the .45 would be a bit painful at the end of a range day. I did carry the .380 for about a month or so and its great for discretion, but it was always in the back of my mind its pretty small. In the end I went back to my .45 for carry because I want a heavy bullet in a defense situation. My wrist will just have to ache a bit if it comes to it. I'm a smaller guy and the 9mm 5" was like carrying a small dog. Im still looking at the Kimber pro carry in 9mm, but if I'm going to spend that money there's a better chance then not its going to be .45. Just a bit more peace of mind.

DD15CBUS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Columbus
    I love my 45 ACP handguns for various reasons (FNX 45, CZ 97). They don't get as much use as my others, but man are they fun at the range, and suppressed 45 is just so damn worth it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I agree borderline 100% , 45 is $26~ a box and 9mm is $12~ that’s very easy economics. Still can’t believe the prices on 45ACP have not gone down especially considering the number of guns sold and on the shelves chambered in it.

It does suppress very well which is a plus. There should almost be a rule that every American able bodied citizen own an M-1 Garand, AR-15 or a 1911.

There is something to the look of a government model 1911, and the recoil impulse when shooting is just fantastic as well. Plus it’s one of the best shooting handguns ever made. It’s a love / hate relationship but I won’t ever get rid of my operator

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I’ve got to be honest I have only shot 45 and 10mm out of the 1911. I have never shot 9mm out of one….. I’ve shot 9mm out of other guns but can’t honestly wrap my head around it in a single stack 1911. Maybe I’m missing something but I prefer 45 even to 10mm in a 1911…. Just feels right. What am I missing when it comes to single stack 9mm over 45??
    Nothing. Shoot 38 super if you want something with an equally storied history that performs well in a 1911 (I can recommend a Baer)

Originally designed to deliver 1300fps from a 130 gr pill. Most of the time you need to load it yourself to get that these days but the guns have no problem with it

Last edited:

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I’ve recently began a love affair with the Commander sized 1911 in both steel and lightweight. I’ve shot 2011’s and consider them a whole different beast. But just can’t wrap my head around 9mm in a 1911….. although I was eyeballing a DW Guardian in 38 super last week.
    Back in the '70's I carried a Colt Lightweight Commander in .45. Loved that thing but it was one of the guns I had to sell to make it through a divorce :xmad:

Pic taken from an old photo of the one I had.View attachment 366929
    Oh, and I guess I am kind of a JMB fan boi/snob cause I only consider Colts when it comes to the 1911.

Is that

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've had a "thing" for the .45 ACP ever since being introduced to it at GLNTC in 1965.
    Currently, I have 2 Springfield 1911's ('Loaded' model GM in SS; SS Champion); a Smith & Wesson 4586; a CZ 97B; a Springfield XD45 'Tactical'(5" bbl.) and a Smith & Wesson 625-4. Ammo is no problem as I've been a reloader for several decades and use commercial cast bullets for most tasks.
    I have several 9mm's, too, but the .45 remains my go-to regardless of platform.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Several years ago I could never comprehend what the big DEAL was about 1911's having never owned or even shot one. One friend in particular kept urging me to shoot one...you'd like it he said. Ya, whatever. It wasn't until a few years later when I finally did get to shoot one! Wow, what a smooth shooter! Well since then, I had to have one. Even though I still like my 30S, the 1911 is a fine classic pistol and one I may add to carry group when I get a commander size.

I know I know...what the hell took me SOOOO long?

I also just missed out on a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 at my LGS; it sold too fast!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Several years ago I could never comprehend what the big DEAL was about 1911's having never owned or even shot one. One friend in particular kept urging me to shoot one...you'd like it he said. Ya, whatever. It wasn't until a few years later when I finally did get to shoot one! Wow, what a smooth shooter! Well since then, I had to have one. Even though I still like my 30S, the 1911 is a fine classic pistol and one I may add to carry group when I get a commander size.

I know I know...what the hell took me SOOOO long?

I also just missed out on a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 at my LGS; it sold too fast!
    You don’t know what you don’t know sometimes.

JayCo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2024
    Marion County
    .45 is the round of our forefathers. If it was good enough for them and to win two World Wars, it's good enough to protect me and my loved ones.

I think for me a lot of the love for .45 and 1911s is the nostalgia. I grew up shooting revolvers and 1911s, are either of them the absolute best all around EDC? No, but I still love them and carry them from time to time, and they feel way more familiar than any striker fired handgun. Also with the .45 I worry less about over penetration, but I still carry a 9mm most of the time.

Top Bottom