• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JOLLYKART

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mooresville
    While I appreciate this young man exercising his and our rights, however I fail to see the reason to test the water if you already know how its going to taste. Just seems like an opportunity to have something go terribly wrong, and then gives the "guns kill people" folks something to campaign on.

Just my two cents worth.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    did anyone else find it funny when cool shades aka fat cop makes a comment of why are you walking???? that made me laugh hard..... i think he handled it great cause i would have told him he should try it

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    While I appreciate this young man exercising his and our rights, however I fail to see the reason to test the water if you already know how its going to taste. Just seems like an opportunity to have something go terribly wrong, and then gives the "guns kill people" folks something to campaign on.

Just my two cents worth.

This just kills me! How was he testing the waters?

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    i also dont understand how he is testing the waters................ since he is not breaking the law. i dont understand how seeing someone walking with a holstered weapon is alarming to he "general public" as they say? what should be alarming is the power the police have to do whatever they want when there is clearly no laws being broken

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    What negative connotations are you guys reading into "testing the waters"? Sometimes I don't understand why particular phrases get panties in a bunch. Is that a politically incorrect or insensitive phrase?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    What negative connotations are you guys reading into "testing the waters"? Sometimes I don't understand why particular phrases get panties in a bunch. Is that a politically incorrect or insensitive phrase?

I have always heard it as a negative. In other words "not willing to leave well enough alone."

IMO someone would be testing the waters if they did something technically legal or a possibility of not being legal specifically to garner a reaction from authorities or to make a point (civil disobediance) or to change/augment a preexisting law.

None of these are what OCing is where it is legal, especially if it has ALWAYS been legal.

Case in point: Purposefully carrying a handgun openly WITHOUT a license to challenge the current law would be 'testing the waters' IMO.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    i cannot believe i didnt see favre........ funny stuff stuff like this makes me want

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    to me testing the waters is pushing the limit...... testing the waters implies the person testing is in the wrong and seeing if they can get away with it..

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    OK, fair enough. I don't think that at all when *I* hear that phrase. Perceptions. In *my* vocabulary (and I'm not the one who used the phrase), it's not negative at all. Doing something, even if it's completely legal and acceptable, to see what will happen, how it will be received, or how hot/cold the water is, to me, could be described as "testing the water/s".

Help me with this one: What's the difference between "going for a walk" and going for an "open carry walk" (the phrase Vincent uses at the start of his video)?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    to me testing the waters is pushing the limit...... testing the waters implies the person testing is in the wrong and seeing if they can get away with it..

Again, fair enough, but that is inferred more than implied. The phrase comes from the practice of sticking your fingers or toes in water before jumping in or chugging that cup of coffee to see whether you'll regret your decision. There was originally no implication of "pushing the limits" or doing something wrong.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The cops in this video are undereducated. The guy dong the OC was better than the police but not really up to the task at hand. I was hoping his dad would button up and leave and the young man would continue on his walk and see what happened.

The thing about the OC debate that gets me everytime is the gun people who are against OC use the same type of arguments that the anti-gun people use against us all.

I don't go out OCing looking for a confrontation but I am not going to throw those who do under the bus. You are for freedom and liberty or you are not. You cannot be for it only in a form you agree with.

On another note; A cop shot and it not be in the media... BS

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The cops in this video are undereducated. The guy dong the OC was better than the police but not really up to the task at hand. I was hoping his dad would button up and leave and the young man would continue on his walk and see what happened.

The thing about the OC debate that gets me everytime is the gun people who are against OC use the same type of arguments that the anti-gun people use against us all.

I don't go out OCing looking for a confrontation but I am not going to throw those who do under the bus. You are for freedom and liberty or you are not. You cannot be for it only in a form you agree with.

On another note; A cop shot and it not be in the media... BS

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

:+1:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Again, fair enough, but that is inferred more than implied. The phrase comes from the practice of sticking your fingers or toes in water before jumping in or chugging that cup of coffee to see whether you'll regret your decision. There was originally no implication of "pushing the limits" or doing something wrong.

So in reality 'testing the waters' is a good thing.

I always associated it with jumping into the ocean to see if anything will eat you like a shark.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    So in reality 'testing the waters' is a good thing.

I always associated it with jumping into the ocean to see if anything will eat you like a shark.

I wouldn't call it "good" or "bad", but I'd call it "wise", for sure. Just jumping in is NOT in keeping with the practice of "testing the water", whether it's to see if it's just one degree above frozen chestnuts or to see if you can, in fact, swim all the way across turtle creek without losing your ding-a-ling.

And I definitely agree with Coach on the dad thing. Having dad there screwed it up, and is part of the reason I was wondering how he came to be there. The kid would have had a much better shot without dad.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I wouldn't call it "good" or "bad", but I'd call it "wise", for sure. Just jumping in is NOT in keeping with the practice of "testing the water", whether it's to see if it's just one degree above frozen chestnuts or to see if you can, in fact, swim all the way across turtle creek without losing your ding-a-ling.

And I definitely agree with Coach on the dad thing. Having dad there screwed it up, and is part of the reason I was wondering how he came to be there. The kid would have had a much better shot without dad.
    Maybe Dad was testing the waters too.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    Pure speculation on my part but I am thinking the guy called his Dad during the period when the recorder was off to save batteries. Maybe something like :
    "Hey Dad, if this thing goes sideways are you going to be available to bail me out of jail after bit? More cops are showing up then I figured were going to."
    :dunno:

Top Bottom