• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Meh. You put things in social media, you should expect social commentary.

I wouldn't shoot a giraffe, but I'm also not funding a significant chunk of the economy of sub-Saharan Africa like big game hunters are. A good friend of mine went on a hunt in Africa and, among other things, killed a zebra. To me that's like shooting a jauntily painted horse. It made a nice rug, though. I see both sides.

So do you think of people who hunt deer and turkey and most who have mounts made as bad people too?

I think most folks have a scale. I suspect most here would react differently to canned hunting for dogs or horses then they would to turkeys or squirrels. Personally, the more intelligent an animal is the more I'd be against trophy hunting. Wanna bass fish? Cool. Dolphin fishing? Less cool.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've always enjoyed hunting, though places like Africa are more than I want to spend. Deer and turkeys are plentiful right here on my own ground, but I would like to hunt out west someday.

And you actually hunt the beast. I think safari hunting, is more akin to 19th Century English fox hunting, where it is more about status than sport or need.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In his hunts it came down to a pretty even fight when all said and done. As he explained, starting with my question regarding magazine capacity, with a charging lion, you have time for two, maybe three shots if you are both agile and lucky, making the difference between returning home with a trophy or staying in Africa as lion crap.

Yeah, I don't believe that. There are hundreds and hundreds of lions killed each year, and the hunters are very very seldom killed. Even then they are shot by another hunter, ran over, or fell off something tall.

You get two, maybe three shots and that's the difference between returning home with a trophy or having your guides/professional hunter shoot it for you instead.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah, I don't believe that. There are hundreds and hundreds of lions killed each year, and the hunters are very very seldom killed. Even then they are shot by another hunter, ran over, or fell off something tall.

You get two, maybe three shots and that's the difference between returning home with a trophy or having your guides/professional hunter shoot it for you instead.

Again, it depends on the people involved and why they hunt.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Again, it depends on the people involved and why they hunt.

Unless he's a poacher he's got a professional hunter, as it's a legal requirement. They are good at making it seem dangerous, that's part of the thrill and fun. But if you really think it approaches an even fight, how many lion hunter end up as poo?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I like how we complain about a legal activity on the other side of the world, when we have so many issues here to focus on. Let the population of S. Africa support their economy however they want...

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'm with you. Killing an animals like this solely for sport? You're not feeding, clothing, or protecting yourself.... so I never quite understood it. And a giraffe? I guess I get killing things that could potentially kill and you, like lions (formerly) tigers, hippos, etc but docile creatures. I'm just not impressed. Seems like little better than a canned hunt, just WAY more expensive.

Did you read the article? Her original Facebook post said she was blessed to get 2,000 lbs of meat from him. So it wasn’t just for sport.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Did you read the article? Her original Facebook post said she was blessed to get 2,000 lbs of meat from him. So it wasn’t just for sport.

That's meat that will be used to feed the poor. Let's not pretend that this was some humanitarian hunt, rather than a "hunting" trip for enjoyment, with the meat being a byproduct. But hey, it's her money. She can spend it how she deems, but that doesn't mean that if she posts her experience publicly, it can't be criticized for people who think killing such a majestic animal, during essentially a point and shoot expedition, is dumb.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Do you actually know anyone that hunts in this manner. I do. They have trophys. They pay the freight. It is an industry in an area with no industry. It is controlled with fees and permits much more stringent than you would think. When the animal being hunted is brought down the guides field strip the meat. It is dolled out locally. It does feed people so please....The rest is packaged up to be shipped and there are fees for that as well. Once again an industry where no real industry exists. Then the taxidermists fees. Some are done local. Then shipped to the owners in the states. All of this is legal and above board.
    I have no opinion pro or con on this. It is your money and time. It supports a local revenue stream that feeds many.

Also the terrorists love to go and pet the big kitty's.

zY8qvRg.jpg

xbiOfVJ.jpg
    To add to the fees these sport hunters pay, part of those fees go to protect endangered species from poachers as well. A decent guided African Safari can run upwards of $30K, the bunny hugging picture Safaris don’t produce a fraction of the good a trophy hunt does! Years back, when my father and I looked into a Safari, on the cheap, we were going to pay near $15K in just fees, and conservation taxes, etc. per hunter.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    To add to the fees these sport hunters pay, part of those fees go to protect endangered species from poachers as well. A decent guided African Safari can run upwards of $30K, the bunny hugging picture Safaris don’t produce a fraction of the good a trophy hunt does! Years back, when my father and I looked into a Safari, on the cheap, we were going to pay near $15K in just fees, and conservation taxes, etc. per hunter.

Yeah but non of that matters..... cause feelings

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    That's meat that will be used to feed the poor. Let's not pretend that this was some humanitarian hunt, rather than a "hunting" trip for enjoyment, with the meat being a byproduct. But hey, it's her money. She can spend it how she deems, but that doesn't mean that if she posts her experience publicly, it can't be criticized for people who think killing such a majestic animal, during essentially a point and shoot expedition, is dumb.

I don’t internet very well but a moonwalking Michael Jackson GIF seems appropriate for that kind of backtracking.

Kut: Killing an animal like this solely for sport?

Truth: It wasn’t solely for sport. It was appropriate herd management and a literal ton of meat was harvested and not discarded.

Kut: Well yeah, but...

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I don’t internet very well but a moonwalking Michael Jackson GIF seems appropriate for that kind of backtracking.

Truth: It wasn’t solely for sport. It was appropriate herd management and a literal ton of meat was harvested and not discarded.

:welcome:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

:bs: A person comes from Kentucky, to help the people of South Africa with herd management and to feed locals, by killing giraffe, that she stalked, (and apparently not seeing any other edible animal during that time) "for quite a while"? Riiiiight... and that's the story you want to go with? Dispense with the moonwalker gif, and find me a "whatchutalkinboutwillis" one.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    :bs: A person comes from Kentucky, to help the people of South Africa with herd management and to feed locals, by killing giraffe, that she stalked, (and apparently not seeing any other edible animal during that time) "for quite a while"? Riiiiight... and that's the story you want to go with? Dispense with the moonwalker gif, and find me a "whatchutalkinboutwillis" one.

You said it was solely for sport. Not me. So you either deliberately misrepresented the truth because you don’t like hunting for sport, or you were speaking on the subject while being ignorant of the facts. Neither is a great look IMO. Unless of course facts aren’t a big deal to you, then in that case, have at it!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If I had a choice between driving to the grocery store, picking out a steak, standing in line, paying for it then driving back home -or- some dude/chick bringing me a steak for free and putting $20 in my pocket for the privilege, I'm just not sure which I'd pick.

Top Bottom