• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Hadn't heard of Sidewalk, thanks for the info. Funny how in the past you had to choose to participate, nowadays you have to chose to not participate. I guess society at large is ok with giving up all responsibility.

The creepy Joe's of the world must be rolling around in an orgy of controlling joy. :faint:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hadn't heard of Sidewalk, thanks for the info. Funny how in the past you had to choose to participate, nowadays you have to chose to not participate. I guess society at large is ok with giving up all responsibility.

The creepy Joe's of the world must be rolling around in an orgy of controlling joy. :faint:
    In theory, I don't have a problem with sharing a bit of bandwidth in exchange for using a bit when mine is wonky. But if there is any possibility that info could be shared, I'm out.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In theory, I don't have a problem with sharing a bit of bandwidth in exchange for using a bit when mine is wonky. But if there is any possibility that info could be shared, I'm out.
    If I understand this correctly (always possible I don't), then the level of security on the locally shared data will be the LOWEST common denominator. I could envision this as another tangent to probe data from people who have it locked down fairly tight, except that anyone serious about privacy would never stand for this anyway

Your phone is the weak link in the whole program as it has the fewest and least effective security options available

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If I understand this correctly (always possible I don't), then the level of security on the locally shared data will be the LOWEST common denominator. I could envision this as another tangent to probe data from people who have it locked down fairly tight, except that anyone serious about privacy would never stand for this anyway

Your phone is the weak link in the whole program as it has the fewest and least effective security options available
    I hardly use my cell phone except to check Facebook and INGO when I'm away from home, so not an issue for me.

Sent from my Z3351S using Tapatalk

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    a) Unless Amazon or these other anonymous users are going to pay for this "minimal" network usage, no thanks. Even my employer pays a stipend, due to requiring a certain amount of available bandwidth above what some households may typically have.
    b) Anonymous? Secure? My trust level is hovering around the zero mark.

Of course, the tech geek in my finds this kind of pseudo-mesh networking pretty slick.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

That's how it goes when dealing with largely "free" services. You buy the echo but generally for a pretty low price and Amazon is betting on other returns from the device.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    a) Unless Amazon or these other anonymous users are going to pay for this "minimal" network usage, no thanks. Even my employer pays a stipend, due to requiring a certain amount of available bandwidth above what some households may typically have.
    b) Anonymous? Secure? My trust level is hovering around the zero mark.

Of course, the tech geek in my finds this kind of pseudo-mesh networking pretty slick.
    Agreed on the geek side. I have some Z-wave stuff and it does similar forming it's own mesh network where the devices all talk to one another to make their reach better. Pretty cool stuff from that angle.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One could also put all this type of stuff on another network or guest network and separate it from your standard network used for your computers, etc. At least then it would be somewhat air gapped from your more prized resource network.

That said, you should still take precautions with your identities. Network isn't really the security boundary any more.

Top Bottom