• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Simple enough to disable. I noticed it was an option and opted out when setting up devices initially as it just sounded like a bad idea.
    I would just mention that eight years ago, Snowden said the only way he would have confidence that a camera or microphone, on a laptop or cell phone or desktop, could not be surreptitiously activated was if he took a soldering iron and physically disabled the devices

Given big tech's history in the area of privacy, I would not be willing to believe that disabled actually means disabled. I would not have a 'smart spy device' in my house

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you do not believe the phone is a dead link to the all hearing ears you are not reading the posts. Key words. I was doing the experiment with the SIL and we laid our phones on the bench and started discussing generators. We never googled them just had a semi-in-depth discussion on what we might want to buy. That night we both had adds related to generators on out FB pages. WTAF peoples.
    I did the same demonstration for my wife about gmail. I sent her one email discussing electric trolling motors, which would never ordinarily come up - we don't have a boat. Sure enough, we begin receiving targeted ads about trolling motors

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm pretty firmly entrenched in the belief that if they're advertising it and offering an "opt out" it's likely already been happening and they'll be able to remotely enable it whenever they'd like.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not exactly. At least for me they can watch what is triggered by my motion capture in a space that is available for anyone on my street to see. And in my case, unless somebody steps onto my porch, they arent seeing ANYTHING.

As to the smart speakers, just remember that anything that can respond to you by name, by nature MUST listen to everything so it can catch you addressing it by name so it can respond. So on my iphone I have "hey siri" disabled, but I can still call her up by holding the home button when I want to get that nosey b***'s attention.

And I'll continue to do my best to buy non IOT, "dumb" TVs as long as I can. Hell, I even choose my Roku models based on whether I can speak into the remote to make it do things.

But alas, I fear that even by disabling these devices, they are really still listening in at least sometimes; the odds that search suggestions "coincidentally" appear shortly after having conversations about a topic is just too coincidental. Hell, several years ago the wife and I were discussing something COMPLETELY outside of anything I have ever looked for online. No google searches, nothing. She brought it up, I shot it down and that was the end of it. The next day I'm seeing FB ads for it. dafu....?
    Yep, Facebook is listening.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Same here. I was in a shoe store with my wife and I made the comment:" wow, skechers has some cool looking shoes." I have never owned them, never shopped for them, always thought of them as a shoe for the geriatric crowd.
    Wow, I didn't know that was the perception, but apparently with me it fits. :lmfao:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Like I said, they have come out with some cooler styles. But even with that, I just never knew anyone under 80 that wore them. Apparently I now know two!

Maybe I'll have to try on a pair. After all, I'm getting old, lol.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Like I said, they have come out with some cooler styles. But even with that, I just never knew anyone under 80 that wore them. Apparently I now know two!

Well 3 if you include Tony Romo...

SKX36582_SP19M_USA_TonyRomoLandingPageBanner_Mobile_704x740_d2ca3598f44d.jpg

Time to graduate from the Dad shoe of choice New Balance to Skechers and join us in the oldster crew ;)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Simple enough to disable. I noticed it was an option and opted out when setting up devices initially as it just sounded like a bad idea.

Need to be careful with any IOT type of device. They aren't known for being the most secure by default.

So.....when it says it's off you know it's off?

Mauser Fanatic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 11, 2020
    Fishers
    I read that Amazon bought MGM. MGM owns the rights to the James Bond movies. I saw someone comment that "Now a real life James Bond villain owns James Bond"... What a world we live in.....

Mauser Fanatic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 11, 2020
    Fishers
    I read that Amazon bought MGM. MGM owns the rights to the James Bond movies. I saw someone comment that "Now a real life James Bond villain owns James Bond"... What a world we live in.....
    After posting this, I have gotten notification that my Amazon services are canceled. I'm no longer allowed to shop at Whole Foods.

I want to offer my sincere apology. Jeff Bezos is a humanitarian who cares about each and every one of us. I have dishonored myself and the Amazon family. All hail hydra... I mean Bezos!

Mauser Fanatic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 11, 2020
    Fishers
    After posting this, I have gotten notification that my Amazon services are canceled. I'm no longer allowed to shop at Whole Foods.

I want to offer my sincere apology. Jeff Bezos is a humanitarian who cares about each and every one of us. I have dishonored myself and the Amazon family. All hail hydra... I mean Bezos!
    In all seriousness, after I posted this, Amazon Echo has started blasting music in my house like I'm Noriega in Panama.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    If you do not believe the phone is a dead link to the all hearing ears you are not reading the posts. Key words. I was doing the experiment with the SIL and we laid our phones on the bench and started discussing generators. We never googled them just had a semi-in-depth discussion on what we might want to buy. That night we both had adds related to generators on out FB pages. WTAF peoples.

True.

I was talking about Joe Biden being a pedophile....

Before long, up pops a video where he is talking about how he thinks a grade school girl looks like she is 19.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

I have a pair of these. Comfy and not bad looking. If your pants hang over the top of the shoe, you can't tell that they don't tie.

1622685299569.png

1622685577805.png

Top Bottom