• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Modifying Que's idea, I would ask for a meeting between you, the coach, and the principal about some concerns you have with bullies on the team. Then drop it in their (mainly the principal's) lap. Remind them that schools take bullying very seriously, and you look forward to a quick resolution.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    As others have stated, their superiors need to be informed. However, there's no way I would not personally confront anyone treating my kid like this. The first thing would do is offer him the opportunity to have his picture taken holding the same doll while being referred to by some non-flattering nickname. After that, no child of mine would be playing on that team until the problem was dealt with to my satisfaction. No one messes with my kids, period.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I would not put up with this. This dickweed might single handedly make these kids never want to play sports again. :xmad:

I wouldn't say a thing to him, but go over his head to whoever his "supervisor" is.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Go to the school board, they are elected officials, and have something to lose if it were to hit the media and they didn't do anything about it. :twocents:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'd be climbing that coaches frame like a spider monkey.

No, don't let this go.. it's makes my blood boil just reading about it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Do not let it go. The coaches need to be talked to or let go and the kids derserve the chance to play basketball and not deal with douchebags.

Sports DO build character.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'll tell you this... When I was in 8th grade (back in the 70's) I decided I was going to play basketball. I was clearly the worst player on the team. I was the subject of endless bullying, especially by the coach. You see, this was before they had "middle school" so 8th Grade made us the oldest students. 8th Graders, by rule, had to be on the "A" team. There were only so many spots available on the team. I was taking up a spot on the team that could have been filled by a better player in the 7th grade.

The coach made sure that I didn't get any play time too. I was the bench warmer. He told me one night after a game--in front of the rest of the team--that I was the reason they lost the game because he would have had another more skilled player he could have put in the game. He also told me--and I quote--"I don't know why you even try out for sports. You will never be good and any sport you attempt to play."

That stuck with me. So, in High School I didn't try out for any sports. I used to wrestle the guys from the wrestling team in my front yard after school and I would waste them too. But still, I never tried out for any sports because I "would never be any good anyway."

Don't let this "man" get away with doing this to your kid. I never told my father what Coach Harris told me that day, at least I didn't until I was in my 40's. You have the benefit that my father did not. You know about it and can do something.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    I think the coach is not confident on his job that is not able to motivate the kids and create confidence and courage using other ways beside Humiliation, team work is al together each with their different avilities with the same goal, is true that coaches are hard but this is ridiculous, specially with kids 13 to 15 where they still forming their caracter and this can be more depriment at the team members and bring down the moral.

in my opinion that couch is not doing it right and need to change the way.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    You are absolutely NOT making too much of this.

I would first go to the athletic director or the principal and if they didn't deal with it, then I would.

The nicknames at practice doesn't really bother me, but the post-practice antics are completely ridiculous. Humiliation doesn't build character. It makes those with very impressionable minds feel small.

Be sure to mention those douche bags were taking pictures of kids with their cell-phones.

Pork chop and the other nicknames...not really a huge deal. I agree that the post-practice crap is over the line. I had coaches that would pull that sort of stuff knowing that they'd receive some kind of teasing back so nobody ever made an issue of it. Being able to go back and forth with the coaches built a relationship and it wasn't just certain players singled out. I've seen several of them around town and when I went to watch a family friend's kid play an away football game. The nicknames were something we joked about and so were the teasing/pranks/torture and since it was a 2 way street, it was funny.

Being a douche to kids for the sake of being a douche isn't cool.

wallotcorydon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corydon
    UPDATE

Spoke with Principal, who in turn spoke with superintendant. I was given 2 options to handle this. File a formal complaint with superintendant, in which case they would also have to "punish" me for having words with the coach at school and telling him ( which I confessed to to the principal) that his actions were bull****, and he was a piece of **** for humiliating the kids. I cursed at school, (not in presence of kids mind you) so I would probably be banned from attending a couple of games or something.

Second option was informal handling, principal tell me I couldn't curse at the school and speak my mind to the coach. He would also talk to him and explain his actions are unacceptable, and pics need to be deleted.

I choose the second option, if, the coach would admit his wrong doing and apologize to the kids. Spoke briefly to my son this evening, and there was no apology. Looks like we may end up having to take the first option. Ex spoke to coach this evening, his comment to her was he made them hold the dolls and such, to let them know he isn't their babysitter. I will speak with principal again tomorrow, see what coach said to him.

At this point though, after talking with son, and ex, looks like I may now have to make the decision if it is worth missing some of his games to teach this guy a lesson, and future coaches for that matter.

What makes it more difficult, he has the "name" and I don't. It will turn political. Decisions, Decisions............I am now debating, if he doesn't think what done is humilating, turning it in to a spectacle, and getting the media involved. Make all the administration, along with him look like fools........

I have other ideas how I would like to handle it, but better keep those to myself!!!!!!!

Top Bottom