• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Does anyone here own & shoot both the LCR 357 & the SP101 357? I am now intrigued by the LCR and wonder how they compare. Does the LCR have the same long trigger pull as the SP101? I have an SP101 357 and love the gun. I wear it OWB with a sturdy belt so the hefty 28oz plus ammo weight isn't an issue.

Personally I like having all the ammo options a 357 allows. Due to the ammo shortage I buy whatever grain and caliber I can find reasonably priced. Whether it is 38 or 357, 158 gr ammo has a mild hand jerk to it. Lower grains are definitely more pleasant to shoot.

I wouldn't want to shoot a a couple hundred rounds of 158 gr in the SP101 but it's not bad if just shooting a box of ammo or so. I have shot the lightweight Taurus in 38 special and hated shooting even a chamber in it. I like the weight and stability of a sturdier gun.

The advantage of starting with a 357 or a Ruger is that once you get used to it minor things others complain about on other guns seem like nothing because you're used to shooting a 357. My SP101 has a long trigger pull. So when I bought my LCP the long trigger pull others complained about seemed normal to me.

My first gun was a Taurus model 669 357. Too big to carry but loads of fun to shoot. I've always been drawn to the 357's. I would look at various revolvers at the gun shows and was always surprised when I turned them over to identify that they were a 357. I like the feel of solid built 357. I have bought other guns with the intent to carry them but I always seem to find my back to my SP101.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I don't have both, but I have fired both. The trigger pull on the LCR is not as long or as hard. The SP101 definitely shoots like a heavier gun. It was going to be my first choice, but when I compared the two, the LCR fit my hand better than the SP101.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Does anyone here own & shoot both the LCR 357 & the SP101 357? I am now intrigued by the LCR and wonder how they compare. Does the LCR have the same long trigger pull as the SP101? I have an SP101 357 and love the gun. I wear it OWB with a sturdy belt so the hefty 28oz plus ammo weight isn't an issue.

It's been too long since I've fired an SP101 to remember what the felt recoil is like compared to an LCR.

I do know that the LCR has a much, much better trigger pull than any SP101, even an SP101 that has had a trigger job done on it. The overall length is probably comparable, but the mechanism is different and the LCR has a lighter and smoother trigger pull.

And ... the Mog is wise!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe I can convince Snapdragon and Gunbunnies to go shooting. I'm pretty sure gunbunnies has a sp101. I could always throw my model 60 into the comparison.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I've probably said this earlier in the thread, but since it's my thread, I'll say it again.:p I purchased my first gun about a month ago. Rather than going into it with the mindset of "I want something easy to shoot, and then I'll see if it meets my needs", I went in with the mindset "This gun meets my needs, and I will learn how to shoot it." My .357 LCR is the first gun I ever fired, and I did pretty damned well for my first time. I didn't know if the recoil was strong because I had nothing to compare it to. It was just my gun and I started putting bullets through paper. Hit chest and torso on the silhouette 34 out of 35 of my first rounds at 21 feet.

+1. For learning to use the necessary tools.

Top Bottom