• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Gentlemen, you intrigue me. I'm feeling obligated to try one.

My first five rounds were with the same Federal load that the old Indy PD used to issue for their Amish guns. After five rounds in the LCR, I was sold.

And, they have the best (stock) triggers you can find on a Ruger revolver. It's better than a lot of new S&W guns I've tried.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My first five rounds were with the same Federal load that the old Indy PD used to issue for their Amish guns. After five rounds in the LCR, I was sold.

And, they have the best (stock) triggers you can find on a Ruger revolver. It's better than a lot of new S&W guns I've tried.

I need to try one of these out.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Pfft. Amateur. 9lb10oz VBAC. And I can tell you that the two have nothing to do with each other. :)
    9lb10oz!:bowdown:but has far as one not having anything to do with the other , well ya see with the gun ,you hurt your hand, with the other you, , , ohhhhhhh, I stand corrected!!:yesway:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I don't have experience with the .357 version, but the .38 spl LCR has a polymer frame. There is also some aluminum alloy, and the steel parts are only inside the barrel and some of the moving parts.

What I meant was that the LCR 357 has a steel frame around the cylinder and holding the barrel on. The others use aluminum. There's about a ?3? oz weight difference because of it.

Polymer on the grip frame like all LCRs

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't have experience with the .357 version, but the .38 spl LCR has a polymer frame. There is also some aluminum alloy, and the steel parts are only inside the barrel and some of the moving parts.
    So for size, it could arguably qualify as a lightweight/airweight pistol? I don't have one. Don't recall handling (if I did, you can see how much of an impression it made on me :):) I know what small, light-weight revolvers are like to shoot and I'm just not interested in those. If it shoots like my Taurus lightweight, I am surprised it is as popular with the females as it seems to be. Any guesses why it's such a hit with the female buyers? And perhaps how many of those are looking to replace it with something else shortly after the first range trip?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So for size, it could arguably qualify as a lightweight/airweight pistol? I don't have one. Don't recall handling (if I did, you can see how much of an impression it made on me :):) I know what small, light-weight revolvers are like to shoot and I'm just not interested in those. If it shoots like my Taurus lightweight, I am surprised it is as popular with the females as it seems to be. Any guesses why it's such a hit with the female buyers? And perhaps how many of those are looking to replace it with something else shortly after the first range trip?

It's about the same size as the j-frames and their Taurus copies. In fact, I use the same DeSantis Nemesis holster for my LCR that I did for my S&W 442.

It really is a different beast that than the airweights in terms of felt recoil, and the weight is about the same.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's about the same size as the j-frames and their Taurus copies. In fact, I use the same DeSantis Nemesis holster for my LCR that I did for my S&W 442.

It really is a different beast that than the airweights in terms of felt recoil, and the weight is about the same.

Does it have the same ridiculously short grip? I'd probably like mine better if I didn't feel like it was going to squirt out of my hand.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Does it have the same ridiculously short grip? I'd probably like mine better if I didn't feel like it was going to squirt out of my hand.

You'd have to handle one to know the answer.

It is on the short side, but that's the nature of the beast. On the other hand, even though it may feel weird, there are some benefit. For some people who have trouble with "milking the grip," having the little finger below the grip where it can't torque your muzzle as you are pressing the trigger is actually a good thing. I sometimes remove my little finger from the grips of full-sized guns when I am shooting one-handed for that reasons. You can see this sometimes when you meet someone who has trouble shooting a Glock 17 accurately, but then they can shoot tiny groups with a Glock 26.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN

There are two grips available. There's Hogue "Tamer" grip, and then the boot grip. Mine came with the Tamer grip, and although comfy, not good for me for a pocket gun. Too big. Replaced it with the boot grip, and the feel takes some getting used to. Gotta keep the hand up high on that one. Shoots swell, though.

Google "lcr tamer grip boot grip" for pics and you'll see.

Love my LCR, by the way.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There are two grips available. There's Hogue "Tamer" grip, and then the boot grip. Mine came with the Tamer grip, and although comfy, not good for me for a pocket gun. Too big. Replaced it with the boot grip, and the feel takes some getting used to. Gotta keep the hand up high on that one. Shoots swell, though.

Google "lcr tamer grip boot grip" for pics and you'll see.

Love my LCR, by the way.

I don't like rubber grips. I had to replace my Taurus's factory grips with aftermarkets because it wore a blister on my thumb near the webbing of the hand. But my bigger issue is with what ultimately is the length of the grip. I need another half inch or so to have a more confident grip. I think I want/need what they don't make: an N/K frame grip on a J-frame frame. (And that was awkward.). I don't know why manufacturers have to skimp on grip length.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Because these are meant as deep concealment/pocket guns. Typically the grip is the hardest part to conceal. This is one of the trade offs with a snubby.
    Like a half inch is really going to make or break the ability to hide the damn thing. The question was a bit rhetorical as I understand completely the role they are meant to fill. I carry one of them, remember?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think the LCR in .38 spl is the best pocket revolver on the market. The difference in perceived recoil with an LCR and a S&W j-frame airweight or its equivalent is dramatic. That's not hyperbole, it's dramatic. It hurt my hand to shoot my S&W 440. My LCR is almost pleasurable to shoot. Part is that the polymer frame absorbs some of the vibration, but I think the wider backstrap and overall a better grip makes the biggest difference.

That surprises me. When I was looking at the LCR a year ago, one of the salesman at Bradis told me the recoil is much worse on the LCR vs a S&W. That's why I didn't buy the LCR. Well, that and haven't been able to find any .38 ammo.

You'd have to handle one to know the answer.

It is on the short side, but that's the nature of the beast. On the other hand, even though it may feel weird, there are some benefit. For some people who have trouble with "milking the grip," having the little finger below the grip where it can't torque your muzzle as you are pressing the trigger is actually a good thing. I sometimes remove my little finger from the grips of full-sized guns when I am shooting one-handed for that reasons. You can see this sometimes when you meet someone who has trouble shooting a Glock 17 accurately, but then they can shoot tiny groups with a Glock 26.

This. I can shoot my Glock 26 MUCH MUCH better than my Glock 19. I really have no use for my pinkies anymore.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Like a half inch is really going to make or break the ability to hide the damn thing. The question was a bit rhetorical as I understand completely the role they are meant to fill. I carry one of them, remember?

Since someone brought up Steve Martin in another thread, excuuuuse me. :) Didn't mean to seem condescending, my wife would tell you it just comes naturally.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    That surprises me. When I was looking at the LCR a year ago, one of the salesman at Bradis told me the recoil is much worse on the LCR vs a S&W. That's why I didn't buy the LCR. Well, that and haven't been able to find any .38 ammo.

That is why I mentioned I would like to try one. IIRC it was Tom Givens who mentioned the LCR was a very poorly designed pistol from a recoil/grip standpoint (VERT or Craig correct me if I am wrong on that), so Rhino really got my attention he he mentioned that as I value his opinion.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That is why I mentioned I would like to try one. IIRC it was Tom Givens who mentioned the LCR was a very poorly designed pistol from a recoil/grip standpoint (VERT or Craig correct me if I am wrong on that), so Rhino really got my attention he he mentioned that as I value his opinion.

Yea, the guy at Bradis told me it was because of the light weight and the polymer.

rhino would know though. I've learned a lot from him.

Glocksmith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Lafayette
    [

MUCH less felt recoil than the Airweight Smiths firing +P 38...[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I'm an airweight fan. Wanted to up the ante to a .357, but everyone propogates scare tactics about the recoil. 38+p in an airweight is mild IMHO, so I'll look forward to grabbing a .357 and giving it a shot! ~pun

In fact, I was one of those (with her input, mind you) who bought one for the wife. It was her favorite gun to shoot, but she felt it too bulky to carry with her preferred method, so she's running a G26 now.

Top Bottom