• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife went with the 38 Spl LCR when she decided that she needed a little revolver. Her reasoning was the trigger was better than any of the others that she had tried. I had only shot the 357 LCR prior to that, and if I recall, my impressions were along the lines of playing catch with a MLB pitcher without a mitt.

Her 38 I think has the smaller of the two grips offered for the LCR, and as such, recoil isnt that different than the J frame with boot grips on it (as far as either of us have noticed), but the trigger is much smoother than any other little revolver that I have tried.

If anyone is in the market for a little 5 shooter for SD duty, the LCR is one that I would put on the short list to check out.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Some things:

I only have limited time behind an LCR. Like one cylinder's worth.

It was a .38 special model with the tamer grips.

I like shooting it better than my 642 + walnut boot grips.

I attempted to put the LCR in the same holster that I pocket my 642 in (a Mika) - and it was a definite no-go. I also tried it in the High Noon Split Decision that I use when I want to belt carry the 642. Again - a no go.

A less-molded / more generic holster may very well cross over. Guess the Nemesis does as Rhino has mentioned...

That said, from a SIZE standpoint, I'd rather carry the 642 + boot grips. I have a few pair of pants that have slightly shallower pockets than the rest. In those pants, I feel the 642 is just "barely" completely hidden. A larger / longer grip would protrude more than I'd want for it to - even if it isn't visible.

Also, and this is the same for any pocket-able gun, the more slick the grip the easier the draw. S&W's OEM hard rubber grips are a bit sticky. The tamer grip on the LCR, likewise, seemed rather sticky, too. If you're carrying it in a pocket, you don't want anything hindering your draw. It's already a relatively disadvantageous location to carry a gun under many circumstances - no need to go further behind the curve, so to speak.

-J-

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for all the input. I still may fire a few guns before I decide, but since I have never fired a gun before, I don't have anything to compare it to. Nearly everything I've seen indicates that if I want a small revolver for CC, this would be one of the better choices. I'm pretty much of a mindset that rather than trying a million guns, I'll do my homework as much as I can, make a decision on one, buy it, and learn to use it well. I'm pretty adaptable and don't see myself whining about it or wanting something different.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the input. I still may fire a few guns before I decide, but since I have never fired a gun before, I don't have anything to compare it to. Nearly everything I've seen indicates that if I want a small revolver for CC, this would be one of the better choices. I'm pretty much of a mindset that rather than trying a million guns, I'll do my homework as much as I can, make a decision on one, buy it, and learn to use it well. I'm pretty adaptable and don't see myself whining about it or wanting something different.

UNSOLICITED ADVICE ALERT!

For what it's worth, I am among those who do not advocate small revolvers for inexperienced shooters. They can be a great tool for some applications, and I'm not saying a determined individual can't get good use from one as their first/only gun. What I am saying is that new shooters face a set of challenges when learning to effectively and efficiently use a handgun. Small, lightweight revolvers tend to magnify or exacerbate those challenges.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I own an LCR 357 and it is a handful to shoot with 357 loads. Currently the wife carries it and likes it a lot. She is an experienced shooter and shoots everything from 9mm to 45acp. I will suggest starting with 38 special round in it and get your grip and trigger control down before moving to 357. Some professional training to help work out any issues before they become bad habits will help with the challenges mentioned previously. I always recommend running at least 1000 rounds through a gun if you plan on carrying it for defense. That way you can determine if the gun is going to be reliable(a revolver should be more so than an auto), and you should be quite familiar with it at the end.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    Hornady Critical Defense 38 spls

IMO buy the LCR 357. It will give you less felt recoil than the lighter LCR 38. Practice with 38 specials for economy and carry with Critical Defense 38 specials. You'll get best world of accuracy, light recoil and stopping power with the Critical Defense.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I bought one today! Got some .38 spl FMJ for practice and .38 +P hollowpoints for protection. I'm planning on taking it to the range this week.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'll find out this week when I take it to the range. Right now, I have to assume that when I pull the trigger it will go boom.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yeah, and I thought it would be a damn shame to have it sitting around unloaded and then need it.

All things considered the likelihood of it not working is extremely low. The only recommendation I would have for using a snubby would be to make sure the target is within the heart of that weapon's envelope.

Top Bottom