All hell breaking loose on the Northwest side...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes to the bolded and highlighted portion. If the person fleeing poses a danger to the public.

From IMPD General orders:
    It is the policy of this department to resort to the use of a firearm when it reasonably appears necessary in the performance of an officer’s lawful duty. An officer is approved to use a department authorized firearm in the following circumstances.

A. An officer may use deadly force when he or she has probable cause to believe that deadly force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony or reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the officer or a third person (refer to Indiana Code (IC) 35-41-3-2 and IC 35-41-3-3).

B. An officer may use deadly force to affect an arrest of a person who the officer has probable cause to believe poses a threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or a third person (refer to IC 35-41-3-2 and IC 35-41-3-3).

C. An officer may use deadly force if the officer has probable cause to believe that deadly force is necessary to prevent the escape from custody of a person who the officer has probable cause to believe poses a threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or third person, and has given a warning, if feasible, to the person against whom the deadly force is to be used (refer to IC 35-1-3-2 and IC 35-41-3-3).

Ok I'm a little confused! I remember way back in the late 70's or early 80's after a Police Action Shooting of a "Fleeing Felon" some community group like the concerned clergy (may have not been them just using them for and example) and forced a change in that type of deadly force. It would seem to me the above policy allows the use of deadly force would include a "Fleeing Felon". I may still have some cobwebs in my 1959 model brain from lack of sleep and coffee so would someone please explain the difference in the old "Fleeing Felon" and the current policy?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The GO allows deadly force against a fleeing person who poses a serious risk of serious bodily injury or death to other people. There are many things that could make a person a "fleeing felon" that do not warrant deadly force.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What would happen if the lead car, not PIT trained, spun out the fleeing vehicle? Have there been any instances, that you know of, where that's happened? Any idea of the repercussions?
    Several years ago (wow - maybe about 10 years now), a non-PIT trained Carmel officer used the maneuver. I mean, c'mon, it isn't rocket surgery.

I can't remember the specifics, but he asked to do the maneuver, I believe he got permission from his immediate supervisor, it basically worked, although there was some damage, and... he ended up disciplined. I believe the supervisor involved was, too.

Part of the reason it was an issue was that the maneuver wasn't covered by any GO or SOP. I believe CPD does address it now.

Top Bottom