• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I have had both. I like them both. If I have to bug out Im takin the AK

But if you have plenty of money to spend and you dont plan on getting dirty and you believe you will be able to clean your rifle every time you shoot it. Buy the AR. Good luck.

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    seems I remember hearing of some professional army from eastern Europe and Asia that used AK's...:rolleyes:

I'm not talking about other countries, I'm talking about ours. Americans are usually trained by Americans. We teach best what we know best. Look at Gunsite, EAG, MagPul Dynamics, US Training (Formerly Blackwater,) and even NRA courses. Some offer AK training, but the majority of the training provided by these agencies are based upon the AR platform.

Weapon lights, magazines, aftermarket triggers, and other match grade parts are designed by the best companies in the world for the AR platform. The AR can be upgraded from a plinker to a match grade tack driver capable of putting rounds on target at 1000 yards with the correct load, twist rate, and barrel length. After slapping some junk stock and hand guard from ATI or Tapco on your AK you're pretty much done. You can only improve it so much, and after that you've just got an AK you've wasted money on. I have an AK, and it looks the same today as it did when I pulled it out of the box. My AR improves every time I have the money.

Reliability they say... Those who would profess the dangerously unreliable nature of the AR have read too many AK threads and are just reciting Vietnam Era stories. We've come a long way in 50 years. Piston AR's and even DI guns are just as reliable as the AK. There are people who run LWRC's and BCM's that have never been cleaned in 10,000 rounds. Even if these cases weren't true a trained shooter should maintain his weapon. The reliability the AK supposedly holds is due in part to it's use by untrained militants and children. If you're looking for something you can just hand off to anyone save a little money, arm a neighborhood instead of a couple friends, and start buying up Mosins.

If you want something to fight with, find out what the pros use. Get what they get, and then train with them. It will be worth the money and you'll feel better about your abilities in the end.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Last edited:

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I can't speak for everyone, but I asked a lot of the same questions when considering which platform to invest in. For me, I chose the AK (in 7.62) for the round size/effects, looks, history, reputation (in spite of its lower level of accuracy). FWIW, even if I could, I don't want to drive tacks at 1000 feet. Were that my primary aim (pardon the pun), I wouldn't have purchased either rifle.

I enjoy shooting a variety of firearms ....if I could afford it, I wouldn't have to choose between the two! :D

papakevin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    AK. The AR's are nice, but you can stock up on AK ammo and buy more for less cash. If you're concerned about the $hit hitting the fan, you want plenty of ammo and a dependable gun. Buy the AK, some extra clips, ammo and a good bug out bag if you're worried about the Zombie attack.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I can throw a 150 dollar 22lr conversion into my AR, and shoot steel matches at MCFG on friday nights, switch back to 5.56 and hang it in the closet for HD, break it in two and toss it in a backpack on the cycle for discreet carry, then when I get to the huntin field smoke some coyotes.

It is..... the perfect rifle... for a state that doesnt allow rifles for deer.

If we could use rifles for deer, I would sway further towards the heavier calibers, but 5.56 is "enough" for self defense, 22lr is great for pistol only ranges and plinking, the sights are better than the AK, and the reports of unreliability are GREATLY exaggerated.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Get both, or either, or none. *They are both proven, rugged, accurate platforms that will do what ever you set them up for. * And there is the key, *you have to buy quality. *A cheap Century build of either will be a piece of crap. *And a top of the line of either will be awesome. * Neither platform is cheap when you are looking for a good gun. *

If you want a real fighting AR then start looking at BCM, LMT, Novesky, and COLT. *Expect to spend some cash, and then get ready to spend more when you start changing parts to get the gun to where you want it. *And then buy a bunch of mags and ammo. *It will be more accurate than you and will function when you need it pretty much no matter what.*

If you want a real AK then start pricing an Arsenal or a Krebs. Those will also out shoot you, and will function when you can't. *Now buy a bunch of mags and ammo, and then start looking at changing the set up so it fits you. *

If you want a serious service rifle expect to spend cash, and expect to modify it for your style.

Both guns take optics well, the AR has more options. *For AK you have 3 choices, UltiMAK, LaRue Iron Dot, or a beryl rail. *

There are more Stock choices with the AK, because it doesn't have a buffer tube. *If a folding stock is important than the AK is your baby. *If you like collapsible then you can go with either gun.

The grip sucks on both guns out of the box, so that doesn't matter. *

The AR wins when it comes to mags. *Aftermarket AR mags are nice and work really well. *With the AK you want Mill Surp. *

Flash hiders are available for both, but the AR has more options. *

The AR wins in versatility because you can swap uppers in a matter of seconds.

So the final conclusion, get the one that has the better ergos FOR YOU. *Don't listen to idiots on the interwebs, because they are busy posting instead of shooting. *Get the one YOU think is cool, and then but stroke every one else. *

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Get both eventually

I got an AR first because it's like an adult erector set! you can do a lot of stuff with them plus even If SHTF I want Accuracy. But since the AK is accurate enough at close range in rapid fire i'll get one eventually. And in a situation where you might have to go through mud and muck the AK will work! I remember a Tales of the gun episode where I guy left his AK in a locker It rusted shut. He squirted some break free on it and kicked the bolt open went out to the range and fired it with no problems. I've seen pictures of AFghans during the Soviet occupation beat the barrel back into shape and run a knotted boot lace through it coated with motor oil and that was good enough. You do have to give an AR a little more TLC.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Unless you are running a precision upper, the AK is just as accurate. *And I clean both with carb cleaner, a bore snake, a rag, and lube with ATF.*

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    you will get a lot of opinions on this one. this debate goes back to the stone ages. they both will work depending on what you want to do. if this is your first purchase i would recomend an ak. you cant stop them from running.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have both and like both! The AR is a lot nice to look at and I like the feel and operation better. The AK is just fun to shoot, and cheaper usually. On a funny note, I clean my AR on a weekly basis while my AK goes for a month or so at a time. I don't know why, it just goes that way!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I have both, an would choose the AR over the AK...AK fun to bump fire an thats about the only time I like shooting it. AR has been with me forever an just feels perfect. But my weapon of choice these days seems to be the Garand. I would recommend finding someone that will let you shoot both, then you can see which one feels the best, an you like the most...get up around Wabash Co. PM me an I'll let you fire some rounds off from both.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    1+ on the AR - But I like to punch paper accurately.
    Can't remember where I saw the test, but the AR generally outshot the AK in accuracy at 100 yards, much smaller groups. YMMV

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    I have each. The AK has never failed. I have had a one time issue with the AR using Wolf ammo. During basic training our drill instructor pulled an AK out of the muck/water and fired off a 30 round magazine without delay. His comment was now you know what you will be up against in Nam. Friends have described being hit by an AK round as like being hit with a baseball bat Food for thought.

Top Bottom