• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Thats your problem. Go to the home page and don't click on anything. Just scroll down. There website is one long page of all there modern guns. You will find AK's and other guns all down the page. Good luck.

By clicking on the c&r button you look at only there old guns that are C&R.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Thats your problem. Go to the home page and don't click on anything. Just scroll down. There website is one long page of all there modern guns. You will find AK's and other guns all down the page. Good luck.

Figures. I'm used to sites being designed such that when there's a menu, you don't get anything unless you click on a menu choice... Heh. Ok.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I was faced with the same question a year ago. Because of the hilly, rugged, muddy conditions of the area in which I live I went with the Ak system. I agree that the AR is a more accurate platform. In Northern Indiana I think I would have gone with that one for that reason alone. In my area a sightline of over 200 yards in the summer and 300 yards in the winter is the exception. The available cover also means that over those distances one need not engage any threats, but can simply avoid.

I have been very pleased with my AK system rifles. Failures of any kind have been non-existant. Cleaning is simple. Everything is simple. As I am the only one in my family that regularly shoots, it is nice to have the confidence that they could be instructed in their operation in a very short time. There's my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Best zombie kille they sell. :D

ROMANIAN AES10-B HEAVY BARREL AK SNIPER
    AES10B.jpg

AES10B2.jpg
    -
    AES10B3.jpg

IT HAS BEEN ALMOST 2 YEARS SINCE WE HAVE HAD ANY OF THESE FINE HEAVY BARRELED LONG DISTANCE TARGET RIFLES. BUT THE QUALITY ON THESE WAS WORTH THE WAIT. BASED ON THE FAMOUS MILITARY RPK RIFLE THESE ARE KNOWN AS THE WORLDS MOST ACCURATE AK RIFLES. BI-POD FEATURES ADJUSTABLE LEGS AND FOLDS UP AND LOCKS TIGHT AGAINST THE WEAPON WHEN NOT IN USE. MICROMETER ADJUSTMENT ON REAR SITE ADJUST FOR WINDAGE WITHOUT DRIFTING THE FRONT POST. SIDE RAIL FOR EASY SCOPE
    MOUNTING. STOCK IS A PUSH BUTTON SIDE FOLDER FOR MORE COMPACT STORAGE AND CARRY. CARRY HANDLE FLIPS UP FOR EASY CARRY. FEATURES A 45 DEGREE COMPENSATOR AND G-2 NO SLAP TRIGGER. BEST OF ALL RIFLE COMES WITH 4- 40 ROUND MAGS AND A 4 POCKET 40 ROUND MAG POUCH. IF YOU WISH TO SUBSTITUTE 30 ROUND MAGS FOR ANY OF THESE JUST LET US KNOW. THIS RIFLE IS ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS. LIMITED QUANTITY...HURRY
    ITEM # AES-10 AK........$699.95

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    AR NO DOUBT

Ammo much lighter,if the S truly HTF,you may need to be moving, More accurate,American made,and VERY reliable.These modern ARs are not the middle 70s,newly designed M-16 from Viet. era,THEY WORK!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well there is a lot to consider.

1. The standard weight of a 5.56/.223 is 55 grain/the standard weight of the 7.62x39 is 122 grain. So the 7.62 is going to have more punch. However the 5.56 does win in max affective range, and accuracy. Also the 7.62 will have more felt recoil. You can buy bulk 7.62, for quit a bit cheaper then brass cased factory 5.56/.223. Some say shooting steel cased ammo out of an AR is ok, so it's a personal choice.

2. Not saying AR's are not reliable, because they are. However they require more maintenance, and are more complex in design. The AR's have tighter tolerances in their mechanical parts. This does make a more accurate rifle. This however makes them less tolerant to dirt, mud, snow, etc. Where the AK can be abused, not cleaned and survive in any environment. Yet you give up some accuracy.

3. There are AK's that have stamped receivers, and some have milled receivers. Your milled receiver AK's are going to be more accurate, but will cost you more.

4. In terms of accessories the AR wins. Anything you can think of they probably make.

So do you want a more modern, and accurate rifle? With accessories to feed about anyones taste. Or do you want a take anything, and ask for more tough? Yet less accurate rifle. I think it all comes down to personal preference, and the intended use of the rifle.

Personally my AK is about as ugly as a five legged deer. However it would be one of the first guns I would grab if I had to bug out. I know that I can take it anywhere, in any condition and it will go bang. It's cheaper to stock up on ammo. It may be less accurate, but personally I would not engage any targets past 100 yards.

That's my honest opinion on the two rifles.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    The best place I have found to buy AK's. link Classic Arms Inc.

thats where i got mine from.

i should note that i finally took it out and had an issue with almost every single round. the first round would seat, fire and eject. the bolt would go back into position but would not seat the next round. if i pulled the charging handle again, it would seat. this happened on about 35 of the 40 rounds i fired.

i'm not sure if the gun is short-stroking or it is a mag issue. i ordered some mags and ammo from AIM, so we'll see. i also have been working the action over and over again. hopefully this will fix the issue as the gun is broken-in. i also have been scrubbing every part of the gun with Hoppes in case its a cosmoline issue.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I had an AK and own a few on the AR platform. Both are great rifles. The best accuracy i could get out of my AK was about 3-4 inch groups in the 75-100 yard range. I would consider the groups small enough to be of use if SHTF. I actually tried lubing my AK once and it really didnt like it. My AK ran better the less I did to it and I ran some of the crappiest ammo I could find through it.
    My other AR's require maintenance and are finicky with ammo and modifications. I do consider my AR(s) to be roughly a pound lighter than my AK. I dont care much for the 5.56 round (although that is purely personal) because the 7.62 x 39 is more than capable at the ranges available most places in Indiana.
    I had to make a choice, I got rid of my AK!!! I went with an AR platform and a 7.62 x 39 upper. I get the accuracy I wanted, cheap ammo, and a little extra power at ranges I would be shooting at if SHTF.
    I do have to admit, I am just an average marksman. I know I am not as good as some people on the forum. So, I figured I would go with something that would be more accurate to begin with. It would allow me to make up for areas where I am not as skilled as others.
    OH YEAH!!!! and did I mention 1260 rounds for $199.....LOL

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    The AR vs. AK debate has been going on for years, and people keep supplying subjective and opinionated answers. It really comes down to what you're doing with it. SHTF means war... And what do professionals carry to war? AR's. Sure, if you're a third world peasant with no knowledge of tactics, necessity of speed, accuracy, or firearms in general, then yeah... Go with an AK and "pray & spray." An AK is, out of the box, as good as it's going to get. You can get some crap Tapco gear, but you'll just be wasting your money. The rifle itself is nearly un-upgradable, due to design, media and government demonizing of it, and just a general move toward the AR platform.

You want something for SHTF? Spare no expense. You're saying "I accept the possibility that the world as we know it may crumble at any minute. I may need to defend myself." Don't sell yourself short, buy something you can hold and feel wholesome with it in your hand. If you're going to war you want a maintained sword rather than a stick you found in the woods, right? Pick up the AR, and realize that any AR is not going to cut it. Buy a good rifle, good mounts, good optics, good mags, good ammo, and good peripherals. Once you buy/build your rifle the nest step in breaking in the barrel and getting training. Train as much as you can. A real target will not stand still at 25, 50, or 100 yards. You'll not be disappointed.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The AR vs. AK debate has been going on for years, and people keep supplying subjective and opinionated answers. It really comes down to what you're doing with it. SHTF means war... And what do professionals carry to war? AR's. Sure, if you're a third world peasant with no knowledge of tactics, necessity of speed, accuracy, or firearms in general, then yeah... Go with an AK and "pray & spray." An AK is, out of the box, as good as it's going to get. You can get some crap Tapco gear, but you'll just be wasting your money. The rifle itself is nearly un-upgradable, due to design, media and government demonizing of it, and just a general move toward the AR platform.

You want something for SHTF? Spare no expense. You're saying "I accept the possibility that the world as we know it may crumble at any minute. I may need to defend myself." Don't sell yourself short, buy something you can hold and feel wholesome with it in your hand. If you're going to war you want a maintained sword rather than a stick you found in the woods, right? Pick up the AR, and realize that any AR is not going to cut it. Buy a good rifle, good mounts, good optics, good mags, good ammo, and good peripherals. Once you buy/build your rifle the nest step in breaking in the barrel and getting training. Train as much as you can. A real target will not stand still at 25, 50, or 100 yards. You'll not be disappointed.
    seems I remember hearing of some professional army from eastern Europe and Asia that used AK's...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom