• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Any advice on whether I should buy an Ak, or go ahead and spend the extra money on an Ar-15? I've never owned either, so I have NO idea which one would work out for me. Any help?

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    What are you looking for in this rifle. Tack driver to punch holes with= ar. To hell and back gun that isn't normally as accurate but reliable as they come = ak. Each rifle has there neat little add ons, but the ar can have any thing from a eotec to a weed eatter attached to it. Aks are beautiful in their own way

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Why not both? Both are proven rifles of several decades. You can buy parts and with some help build yourself an AR very reasonably as far as cost yet get the know how of doing it yourself. Several versions of the AK are available very reasonable also. Either way you won't go wrong.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    if it's a sh!t hit the fan rifle get the ak.

Digging up and firing an old rusty AK-47 | The Firearm Blog

fast forward to 1:50

Ammo is currently really cheap and now that hornady has some defensive tap ammo that is off the charts when it comes to destruction, you just can't go wrong. Should you chose to buy an ak my personal preference is the arsenal sgl 21. It has all the military features to make it function flawlessly and it's cheaper than buying a saiga and converting it yourself (which is really all it is.. plus a bullet guide and other features). As far as magazines go for your ak steer clear of tapco or promag. (in order) Bulgarian circle tens, steel combloc and the new uspalm mags (still being tested) are the most reliable so far.

If you're looking for an sbr. You can purchase a draco pistol (classic arms/j&g) do the tax stamp paperwork and you have an mp5 sized 7.62 powerhouse with no barrel shortening or porting work.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Spend the extra money and buy the AR. They hold their value and they are...well...American. AK's work but they are for the most part crude, over gassed inaccurate rifles made for third world country uneducated sheep herders and such. Both are fun to shoot. Both work. The AR is a precision made weapon made by CNC machining at its best. Mil Spec AR's are a brilliant design throughout and can be made into infinite configurations.

The AK is made in dark crude work shops (Caves) with hammers,chisels and jack presses. Sure you can buy a nicer AK. But it will cost you more than the average AR. The AK is a good example of how if you put a big enough gas system on something it will chew up any ammo. You might not be able to hit anything,but you can sure make some noise.

IMO buy the AR.:twocents:

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Spend the extra money and buy the AR. They hold their value and they are...well...American. AK's work but they are for the most part crude, over gassed inaccurate rifles made for third world country uneducated sheep herders and such. Both are fun to shoot. Both work. The AR is a precision made weapon made by CNC machining at its best. Mil Spec AR's are a brilliant design throughout and can be made into infinite configurations.

The AK is made in dark crude work shops (Caves) with hammers,chisels and jack presses. Sure you can buy a nicer AK. But it will cost you more than the average AR. The AK is a good example of how if you put a big enough gas system on something it will chew up any ammo. You might not be able to hit anything,but you can sure make some noise.

IMO buy the AR.:twocents:

*Retracted* Momma says if you don't have anything nice to say...

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have both, and I like both. I shoot the AK (actually a Draco pistol) more as ammo is cheaper and it's easier to clean. My AR is far more accurate and, having carried one in the military, I'm way more familiar/confident/faster with it. I wouldn't sell either.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    agree with vette and others. if you want a SHTF/zombie defense rifle, then get the AK.you'll need it's rugged reliability and the ammo is much cheaper.

i will say that ARs are hella fun though. ;)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Dunhams had the FEG receivered, TGI-built AMD-65s for $429 a couple of weeks ago. They were originally selling them for $699. :rolleyes:

You can find them wholesale for $399 but still pay transfer fee and maybe shipping. If you go direct to Dunhams, you can look over the rifles to pick the one you want.

IMG00027-20100516-1611.jpg

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I go to the range shoot the AR ..bring it home and clean it . detail it .
    treat it like a safe queen ...

I go to the range shoot the AK bring it in the house , spit on it throw it in the gun room as I call it a dirty SL@T .....lol

But love them both The same :D

Top Bottom