• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Can someone help me ID these pins. I am putting together a polish underfolder together and trying to figure out where each of these pins go. I think the far left one is for the muzzle break and the far right one is for the rear site. I'm thinking the 3 second to longest are the folder pins and the 4 shorter ones are for the gas block and front site. Will the bent one need to be replaced? or will it straighten out when I push it in?

pins_zps08410163.jpg

ottoclicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Can someone help me ID these pins. I am putting together a polish underfolder together and trying to figure out where each of these pins go. I think the far left one is for the muzzle break and the far right one is for the rear site. I'm thinking the 3 second to longest are the folder pins and the 4 shorter ones are for the gas block and front site. Will the bent one need to be replaced? or will it straighten out when I push it in?

pins_zps08410163.jpg
    You are correct.

From left to right:
    First pin is the one that insert's into the front sight block and holds the muzzle brake. Should have a spring that goes in first.
    The next 4 pins are for the gas block and front sight.
    The next 3 longer ones are the pins for the underfolder.
    The far right pin is for the rear sight

Personally I would try using the pin that is bent a little.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You are correct.

From left to right:
    First pin is the one that insert's into the front sight block and holds the muzzle brake. Should have a spring that goes in first.
    The next 4 pins are for the gas block and front sight.
    The next 3 longer ones are the pins for the underfolder.
    The far right pin is for the rear sight

Personally I would try using the pin that is bent a little.

Thanks for the quick reply. How do you know how far the sights and gas block have to go towards the rear? Any tips on lining things up before I drill the rest of the barrel components?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    First, where is your 4mm rear sight pin? - Duh, I see it now.

Once you get the 7mm barrel pin in, rear sight block goes in. Line it up straight and push it back so it lines up with the front trunnion 'ears'. Just look at a finished AK and you should be able to see it. I can take a pic tomorrow to show you if you need it.

After you you get the rear block in, pop in the gas tube. That will help you guide your gas block. If you have a gas port already drilled in your barrel, just push the block until it is covered by the hole in the block. If you need to drill the hole, use the gas tube as the measuring stick. When the gas block appears to support the gas tube correctly, you can drill the barrel gas port using the hole in the gas port as your guide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PRrYnPMKTE

The front sight needs to clear the threads. The plunger needs to be positioned to slide in the muzzle brake notch with a little pressure when the brake is threaded all the way in.

Last edited:

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think its the far right one. I am pressing the rear site towards the trunion using a vise. So the bottom of the rear site shoud be flat with the ears of the trunnion?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Keep coming back to cover up this area?

trunnion_zps74c08228.jpg

Yes. Use your receiver cover, spring, and rear trunnion as your guides here to get it perfect. The cover will fit snugly between the rear sight block and the lip catch on the rear trunnion with the carrier spring providing pressure to keep it on.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Ok funniest part of the day:

The 2 guys with the rubber sledghammer whacking away at the mak 90.

amiright?

Seriously though, that mak90 was a mother****er. Gorgeous gun though.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Its lined up but looks like I need to keep going. Should I base it on the receiver cover fit at this point?

You shouldn't have to move it much more back. Are you sure the back of the receiver cover is in the correct place? Did you put in the bolt carrier and spring to test fit with it?

But yes, at this point, use the receiver cover to get the final fit.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    If you need to drill the hole, use the gas tube as the measuring stick. When the gas block appears to support the gas tube correctly, you can drill the barrel gas port using the hole in the gas port as your guide.

be careful though. this method only works with a 45 degree gas block, not the newer style 90 degree blocks. Your going to have to do a bit more measureing to drill the hole for the 90 degree block because you can't use the GB as a guide.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Its lined up but looks like I need to keep going. Should I base it on the receiver cover fit at this point?

Shove the RSB back as far as you can. There is typically a small, maybe 1/16" gap, between the RSB and the front trunnion. You should always set the front trunnion and RSB first, THEN install your rear trunnion based on the position of the dust cover. Trust me, if you just put them in so they are flush with the ends of the receiver, you will eventually end up with a dust cover that wont fit right and will pop off because its too loose. Don't ask me how I know.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Picture time:

"be careful though. this method only works with a 45 degree gas block, not the newer style 90 degree blocks."

Just so happens I have an example of both styles of gas blocks. Notice only the 45 degree AK47 gas block will allow the drill bit in like this.

ak_gas_block_drill.jpg

"Shove the RSB back as far as you can. There is typically a small, maybe 1/16" gap, between the RSB and the front trunnion."

ak_rsb_cover.jpg

"Are you sure the back of the receiver cover is in the correct place?"

This is how the cover should fit in the rear trunnion. Although the pic doesn't have it in, make sure your carrier and spring are in place because they will push the cover for a tighter fit.

ak_rear_trunnion_cover.jpg

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Good information here, probably some of it sticky material at some point. I wonder what the goberment thinks of all this. My guess is "they" don't care for it at all. hehe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Told some buddies at work about the build party and showed them my progress and now they all want to build a rifle and want me to let them know when the next build party will be! I'm sure they are all dilligently scouring the net for parts kits even as I type this! I tried to give them some pointers as far as pre treated rec's and the 80% rec's and kits in general but they (about 6) are all pumped up about it! Who knows maybe we will have over 50 people next time!!! Again, had a great time and learned a bunch!!! Kudos for the main players getting this up and running!!! :D

Last edited:

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have the dust cover or receiver cover in the position like you show. Can I keep pushing the rear site block back without messing up the bolt and other internal parts? SO that it holds the cover in the correct position?

Picture time:

"be careful though. this method only works with a 45 degree gas block, not the newer style 90 degree blocks."

Just so happens I have an example of both styles of gas blocks. Notice only the 45 degree AK47 gas block will allow the drill bit in like this.

ak_gas_block_drill.jpg

"Shove the RSB back as far as you can. There is typically a small, maybe 1/16" gap, between the RSB and the front trunnion."

ak_rsb_cover.jpg

"Are you sure the back of the receiver cover is in the correct place?"

This is how the cover should fit in the rear trunnion. Although the pic doesn't have it in, make sure your carrier and spring are in place because they will push the cover for a tighter fit.

ak_rear_trunnion_cover.jpg

ottoclicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011

sideview_zpsbef5b42b.jpg

Don't push it back any further yet.
    The rear sight block looks to be in a pretty good position by this picture. If the top cover is still that far from snapping in place, I think something else is going on.
    Can you snap a pic of the entire area and the rear trunion area with the cover in place.

Top Bottom