• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    We are already throwing around ideas for the next party.

I definitely want to write down the entire process of a typical build (from flat to finish) so a new builder can jump in at any point and continue their build and know what to do with each stage.

If we have stations at the party, the builder can start at that point and we will limit the amount of configurations necessary from builder to builder. We eventually did that today. My press in the corner was used primarily for barrel pins and barrel removal/pressing. The presses near the door were used simultaneously for riveting.

We'll have it down to clockwork next time.

Jsmrussell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Great people

The building event was a very good time my Bulgarian kit from sportsmanship guide took 5 hrs start to finish thanks to a very steady handed Clay that seemed to make it look very easy thank you to the host and everyone there that brought tools and knowledge. Im already thinking about building a 74 if anyone has a place to get kits let me know thanks again:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The building event was a very good time my Bulgarian kit from sportsmanship guide took 5 hrs start to finish thanks to a very steady handed Clay that seemed to make it look very easy thank you to the host and everyone there that brought tools and knowledge. Im already thinking about building a 74 if anyone has a place to get kits let me know thanks again:

If you get one, better do it quickly. His kits are the easiest to put together and go fast.

Bulgarian AK74 5.45 x 39 Parts Kit New USA Barrel - 19 left as of this post

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Well I had a good time today! It was my pleasure to work on everyone's "junk" today ;)

My only regret is I didn't get around to meet many of the others who were there, but there were definitely a LOT of new commie guns coming to life from what I could see!!

I only had one mishap all day. When reloading my press in the jeep, the plug for the cylinder got knock out and puked the oil out. Thank God for Husky Liners!!!!!!

All in all I think things went fairly smoothly. I would like to try setting up stations next time. I think we could get even more done. The only other thing that would be nice, but isn't a requirement is if there was some where to have it where we could test fire the rifles, but again, not a requirement.

Lastly, who ever left the lower handguard retainer at the event, I have it. My guess is its a Bulgarian one, that maybe someone had for a conversion? Anyway, if its yours, and you want it back, let me know and Ill ship it. If you don't want it back Ill happily keep it and even pay you for it if you want. ;)

See everyone next time!

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    I also had alot of fun today and learned quite a bit too. Nothing can beat hands on experience from people who have done it before. Thanks to everyone who helped make this event happen and for all who helped with the builds! Cant wait for the next one

imasmokin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    I didn't get to attend, but excited about my build. My son says that I have to do it myself without his help. TOUGH LOVE!!! Good photos, maybe I will be there next time!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It was definitely a great day! While I wasn't ready to do much other than weld the rails into my receiver, I am very thankful for the help with this operation, the method of which was one of my top unanswered questions.

I enjoyed the occasion to meet and talk to people, and to see a group come together helping each other. We don't often think about it, but there was a time in which this was common. In generations past, this was how everything from houses and barns were built, as well as assorted more mundane tasks. The people and the human element were definitely greater than the work done, although plenty of that was accomplished as well.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Also, special thanks to everyone for putting this together.

Mr. Wabbit, Sir, thank you for keeping on top of this and doing the leg work.

Nick, chezuki, and MCF&G, thanks for getting us the location, and babysitting us all day! Nick, sorry you couldn't attend the see the madness ;)

Thanks to everyone who brought tools out. I loaned out a bunch, and got them all back, but I also borrowed quite a few, and hope they all got back.

Thanks to everyone who brought knowledge. I learned a bunch just being around other like minded individuals. If we are all ever out of work at the same time, watch out Century!!!!! ;)

Thanks to everyone who brought things to work on. Giving birth to new AKs is a great thing!

Extra special thanks to DoggyDaddy and Dsgnr_81. If it weren't for you guys I would have eaten my arms off. The only food I had all day was Long's donuts and those awesome cookies!

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Sgtonery and I had a great time at this event and enjoyed meeting all you like minded AK fans. Learned alot from watching and assisting others and we eventually got a Romy AK together just before Wabbit had to jump down his hole. Thanks for all the help Jeff!

256x256abcde.jpg

1024x768_bestfit.jpg

1024x768_bestfita.jpg

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    oh, and one last thing.

To the guy with the milled MAK90, I dont know if you got your rifle taken care of or not. I hope that you did, but I know you were fighting a lot on the rifle.

I've got some pushing plates in the works to help get things off of a rifle that wont come off normally. If you need help, I would be happy to give it a whirl once I get these finished.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Clay, you don't use a steel wrench to slip barrel components off? I know some people even use the AR15 wrench for this. At least that tool finally has a good use.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I use all manner of contraptions for this, but they don't always work. The only thing I had an issue with was the FSB on the MAK90. In my experience with a few different Chinese rifles, the fit on the barrel components is TIGHT. Much tighter than any other AK variant Ive worked on by far. Things have to be very square to the barrel, and well supported. Unfortunately I didn't have all my normal pieces of steel/brass laying around, so I couldn't fashion much of a way to get it to work.

I've just decided since the party that I need to have the ultimate solution that will do 99% of what I need for taking barrel components on and off. Because of the barrel ban, building kits with virgin barrels will be the new normal.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    For the AK padawans, this is what Clay and I are talking about. Here is a simple way of getting components off the barrel. This is a 5/8" wrench on a AK74 gas block. Unless you have a MAK90 like we saw yesterday that REFUSED to come off. That will take some extra work.

ak_gas_block_remove.jpg

This is my biggest regret at the party. I didn't get a chance to work on receivers. Next time hopefully.

ak_bent_receivers.jpg

zerocool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Indy Northside
    Guys, I wanted to thank everyone at the build party. As a first time builder, I learned alot and got my build started. I still have alot to go to finish the project but this helped me get it out of the box and off to a good start.

Thanks again.
    Zero

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    So jealous of all the pics, and everyone getting all the work in!

damn drill schedule... Now I weep every time when I see my flats just laying there... all flat and sad looking :D

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Nice thing is we now have one build party to learn from and being the very first one and my first ingo event i was impressed it turned out as well as it did... and those of us that went know now what tools we need in the future like vises, clamps, more drill presses, the use of stations, ect... where only gonna better from this one... but the biggest pro i saw is we gained alot of interest and first time builders and thats the best part i think

Top Bottom