• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'm sure there are tons of threads like this, but I couldn't find one looking back a couple weeks.

I just sold my SKS and motorcycle and I'm looking to get into an AR or an AK, I do have 750 rounds of 7.62 and the AK is cheaper. But I like the versatility of the AR and the availability of parts.

Thoughts?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Both are fun but you already have AK ammo , plus it's hard to make one quit . You're not going to snipe anything at 400 yds but it can do just about anything else .

If for no other reason , reliability .

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I'm not even gonna go there. Each system has its strengths and weaknesses, and I own several examples of both.

+1

I personally don't care too much for the AKs but they do have their pros and cons and both fill a void where the other doesn't.

And a side note, what does it hurt to have both?:dunno: My problem is always deciding what to get first.

If it were me, I'd go back to another good SKS, but that is just me.

Last edited:

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thanks LPMan59, I've looked at your AK actually (on the site). It is one to consider, I'm trying to get a pro's/con's list.
    Specifically:
    Reliability
    Functionality
    Longevity
    Availability of parts

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Man everyone already knows im going to tell you to go with the AK.
    But if you like to be diffrent.... I know I do..lol
    Try either a VZ-58 in 7.62x39 Mine is AWSOME. Ill let you try it if ya like
    Or an AR in 7.62x39

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm trying to get a pro's/con's list.
    Specifically:
    Reliability
    Functionality
    Longevity
    Availability of parts

Pat Rogers once said that "The AK is more accurate than most think, and the AR is more reliable," and "AKs are reliable, but they're not infallible." Both are certainly true, IME.

Not quite sure what you have in mind when you ask about "functionality" and "longevity" (obviously, both will function and will provide a lifetime of service). Both platforms will also be reliable and will have a buttload (or a metric buttload in the case of the AK) of parts available.

Honestly, it's going to come down to 1) what kind of shooting you plan on doing, 2) which platform feels better to you, and 3) what your budget is.

The AK in 7.62x39 isn't the "cheap alternative" to the AR/5.56 it once was; the price gap in both guns and ammo has closed considerably in the past year or two.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    List your goals for the build or buy. What are your expectations? What is your budget? Maybe you will get another broad spectrum of opinions if you do that. Although when it comes down to it, you should have a fine rifle either way. I will through out the warning though...and some of the seasoned AKer's can expand on this. I believe there are a few AK manufacturers out there that ship there rifles top down in crates vs top up. Which in the past has bent the front site post. I believe Romanian are the ones to stay away from...might need further advising though.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I believe there are a few AK manufacturers out there that ship there rifles top down in crates vs top up. Which in the past has bent the front site post.

Has nothing to do with how they're shipped, but everything to do with the monkeys who put 'em together. It can happen with AKs of any pedigree; I've even seen Arsenal guns with canted front sight posts.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've got a fairly big budget, $1500 or so. So price is not an issue. I want something that I can rely on in just about any situation.

+1 for OneBadV8 for the video....very helpful

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    AK74 w/sidefolding stock. I have an AR and have owned many AR's in the past and I always seem to grab the AK74 to take to the range.

0725091224a.jpg

Some pics from wiki:

AKS-74.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom