• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • urustyone

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've got a fairly big budget, $1500 or so. So price is not an issue. I want something that I can rely on in just about any situation.

+2 for OneBadV8 for the video....very helpful

All things aside. With the AR it just seems to be never ending. You will always want to purchase and do this or that. Which is cool!

With the AK it is what it is and the only thing else to buy is ammo.:ar15:

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    Look at the new Ruger ar-15's

Gas operated like an AK without the jacked up price of the sig 552 which is also gas operated. Then go buy a sweet ak like an arsenal and have both.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Having owned all three, I'd do my damnedest to find a D or M model Norinco SKS as they are far more accurate than the AK, use the same mags and ammo as the AK, and are damned near as realible as one. Throw a Tapco stock on it and you have a NICE battle rifle.

Coming from a guy who already owns an AR currently and have owned all three.

As has been said MANY times, personal pref.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'm still trying to like the AR platform.

The AK with lengthened synthetic stock seems to be about right to me.

Josh <><

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If the AK was a watch.
    It would be a Timex, just the time would never be right.

I will say an AK will take a lot more abuse than an AR. For example During a conflict that you sent me to. I was running low on 5.56, so I grabbed an AK from a pile without further inspection. I had to use my Kevlar to seat the mag in the well, and "kick start it" to get it to cycle the first round. However it fired like a champ.

That being said I would not stake my life on the accuracy of a stock AK. Done it once, will not do it again... Luck only lasts for so long. I will take any AR out of the box and smoke silhouettes out at 3-400 yards with out question, reliably. For me if it is AK vs AR. Then AR every time.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    AK's are a alot of fun to shoot, right up to the point where accuracy and group size are important to the owner. If you can live with the groups an AK will give you they are just fine, if you take marksmanship seriously they will likely bug you to no end compared to an AR. Handloading is another issue FWIW if you choose to go that route, .311 projectiles and boxer primed cases are much harder to come by than 5.56/.223 cases and the wide variety of bullet designs for the AR platform. There is something to be said for not relying on foreign surplus ammo and components to feed your rifle if and or when those supplies go south or the prices increase to the point where they no longer represent a significant savings. Definately spend some time with both if you can before you buy. There is good reason why the AR platform is used almost universally in competition shooting.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Reliability: The AK wins, but at the expense of accuracy.
    Functionality: They both function fine when taken care of.
    Longevity: They will both last with proper care.
    Availability of parts: Tons of each out there.

My choice would be the AR. The first bullet to hit wins in a fight. An AK may be more reliable, but also reliably inaccurate. When I got home from overseas I bought a cheapo AK and ran nothing but cheapo Wolf type ammo through it and the accuracy was bad. Maybe 3" at 100 yards and that's fine for 100 yards, but go to 200, then 300 and you're SOL.

I shot a friends SKS side by side with my AK and the SKS groups were half of the AK groups. I'd give the edge to the SKS if you want a 7.62x39.

With the AR you're going to be firing a rifle that needs oil, but pretty much hits what you aim at out to 300 yards. Bullet technology can make up for the lighter weight of the 223 for what you'll likely need it for.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    In a funny bit of serendipity, I got this in my Email box just now:

Dan Agakian - Suarez International Staff Instructor

I get asked alot of questions on the AR15/M16 series weapons quite regularly and I wanted to take a minute to post some answers to common questions.

Q. Is the AR an unreliable POS that will sooner jam that fire a round.

A. No, but it requires a minimal level of routine maintenance to ensure that it functions as intended.
    In the field or during classes I make sure my M4 works simply by wiping off the working parts with a rag, ensuring there are no big chunks of carbon/dirt/sand in the chamber and locking lugs and keeping the gun lubricated. This takes me a maximum of 5 minutes per day, sometimes less if I see there is no debris in the gun. then it just gets lubed. This process does not describe a detailed cleaning and inspection but merely what I do as preventitive maintenance to make sure the gun goes bang.

Most all guns, the AR included, are not real good at tolerating large amounts of sand in the working parts. The way the AK gets away with it sometimes is that it has a violent action and large areas for debris to accumulate. This comes at the price of reduced accuracy compared to some other systems.

Most all of the AR's so called weaknesses are best fixed preventitively and by "Watching" the gun. Also, AR's do not like to be completely dry. They just dont like it so keep the gun lubed.
    If your AR takes a sandbath which results in a bunch of stuff inside the weapon, you are gonna want to clean it out.

Do not confuse this with simple carbon fouling which the AR will tolerate well as long as it is properly lubricated. (By that I mean it has some)

Q. Is the AR more accurate than the AK?
    A. Yes, on average a rack grade M4 (14.5 inch )will group about 2-4 inches @ 100 yards with ball ammo. The AK (Not custom ones) will group an average of 4-8 inches @ 100 yards with surplus ball ammo.
    How much this accuracy matters is open to debate and left up to the user to decide whether it matters.

Q. Why cant I neglect my AR and treat it like a lawnmower?
    A. Because it has tight tolerances (compared to an AK) and a different operating system (compared to an AK) and if you neglect basic preventitive maintenance for a long time, you gun will stop working. How long this is can also be debated but I take the position that a bare minimum (a few minutes per day of operations) of maintenance is a better thing than gambling to find out just how dirty/dry can I make my AR before it decides not to cycle any more. Again notice I mentioned the word dry in reference to the AR and how much it does not like being dry.

Q. What does an AR do better than an AK

A. Quite a bit but whether this is relevant to you is personal preference:
    The AR is more mechanicially accurate
    The AR offers easier optic mounting solutions
    The AR offers more and higher quality compatable optics. (We can debate the servicibility of Russian vs Western optics but I dont think anyone can say that our quality is not better in the west. Get out the Eye Charts @ 100 yds at dusk then tell me the Russian optics are better)
    The AR offers far easier methods of customization to suit user preference/body types/and shooting styles. The AR is sold in more configurations and Calibers than the AK and is likely to continue that trend. In the US the AR is supported by a GIGANTIC manufacturing base making guns/parts/accessories. (This is also the cause of some problems as certain folks make junk for a quick buck and these types of products can give a weapons system a bad name)

Last, the AR makes it easy to change your mind. By simply popping two pins you can have a whole new gun!

Q. Who makes the "Best" AR

A. What does "Best" mean - If you define best as Milspec(has some kind of contract to manufacture complete guns for the military ) then you only have a few choices:
    Colt
    FN
    Sabre Defense
    (Maybe a few more)

If you expand this to companies who make Uppers and parts then you have quite a few others like:
    LMT
    Daniel Defense
    Knights Armament
    (This is not a complete list)

As far as I can see, right now we are living in a golden age for the AR. LOTS of good stuff from quite a few manufacturers. Some of the high end custom shops like Noveske and Rifle and factory customs from Daniel Defense and Larue can consistently turn out very reliable sub MOA guns in barrel lengths from 10.5 inches to 20 inches in a few different calibers.

This is a good thing for shooters.

If you are the kind of person who needs monkey simple explanations and likes to be told what to do and then forget about stuff, then get a Box stock Colt 6920 or LMT Defender 2000 or Daniel Defense XV, a bunch of P mags, some good ammo and the optic of your choice (Or not) and get to shooting.

If you care to delve more deeply into the custom end of things then there are a TON of makers who will make you an accurate and reliable gun to your specs.

Q.Why does the AR cost so much more than the AK

A. It doesnt anymore. When the AK was "Cheap" it was beacuse you were buying parts and services produced by what is essentially slave labor for several decades.Now it costs what it costs to make a decent reliable weapon and a basic AR and a Basic AK are similarly priced.
    Keep in mind also that in mass production, tighter tolerances mean increased cost. The AR is a more accurate system with more places to check during the manufacturing (Not just assembly) process.

To get a reliable off the shelf AR that is close to "Milspec" you will spend around 1100$
    To get a reliable factory AK that is produced today and not made with thirty year old surplus parts you will spend 9-1100$ They are not that far apart from each other.
    Q. Why can I feed my AK crappy ammo and it still runs but not My AR?

A. Accuracy has a price. So does the effeciency of the basic AR operating system. The AR has a tighter chamber and in 556 uses a non tapered cartridge. This means it is more sensitive to out of spec and or dirty ammo. AK's can malfunction with crappy ammo too, we have all seen it. Also the Stoner operating system is more pressure sensitive than the AK's operating system. In the Stoner system it relies on a relatively (Compared to the AK piston) specific operating pressure. Normally this is never a problem but if using crappy/weak ammo then the Stoner system just isnt getting enough gas pressure to work reliably. Lesson: Use good ammo in AR's

Q. Why dont my 20 year old GI magazines for my AR work well any longer.

A. Because they were designed to be disposable. (They weigh a bunch less too) All magazines wear out eventually, AR mags have a short service life compared to some other systems. Get over it. Buy good quality Magpul Pmags and if they ever give you trouble, swap them out for new ones. I dont have exact specs on service life of the Pmag but I have one set of pre-production mags from a few years ago that are still working. Plus a whole bunch of replacements for when they stop!

Q. Can I save a few bucks and assemble my own AR into a servicable and reliable weapon.

A. Maybe. If you do your reasearch and are willing to scour forum websites for bargains on high quality parts. Some things I can say with 100% certainty, cheap is not good with the AR 15. Good is not cheap. If you know what you are doing and what to look for you can assemble a perfectly reliable "Frankengun" out of high quality parts. If you dont know what you are doing or dont want to do research on parts/specs and assembly methods, stick to off the shelf.

Q. Why is my Short AR (Less than 14.5) or Suppressed AR more finickey than my longer barrel/non suppressed AR.

A. The AR system (Direct Impingement) is more sensitive to gas pressure differences (Increase or decrease) than some others. When you cut the barrel down so that you have less of of it in front of the gas port, you must then increase gas port size. The increase in gas port size means increases in pressure and bolt velocity. What you have essentially done is decrease the 'Window" of acceptable pressures your gun will operate under. Normally not an issue unless you are using ammo that will not give the required pressure in your gun.

Shorties and Suppressed Direct Gas AR's can be reliable but sometimes they take more tweaking to figure out good Ammo/Buffer weight combos for a particular gun. If you want the Absolute Most reliable Direct Gas Impngement AR then get yourself the 20 inch barrel model or a 16 inch Midlength Gas system model. Carbine models work fine as well but they have (Theoreticially for all but the most demanding users) a decreased service life due to increased pressures and operating speeds. Not a big deal outside the geeky *** world of the internet.

Q. Are Piston Operated AR's better

A. Sometimes.

If you have to run an AR with a barrel shorter than 14.5inches or run a suppressed AR , this is where there may be bigger real world advantages to a piston system. Piston systems run cooler, require less lubrication (due to not blowing it out of the gun with a DI AR) and generally require less frequent maintenance. They are also generally more "Violent" in operation which may be an aid in very extreme operating conditions like arctic cold.

As a guy who has both types I can say that from my personal perspective at this point I cannot see huge advantages to a piston system on an AR with a 16 inch or longer barrel unless for whatever reason it is unfeasable to lubricate my weapon more frequently. Also, some of the piston retrofit kits are poorly designed. If you decide to go piston, get a quality factory gun from LWRC or HK or get a "Factory Custom Conversion" by PWS.

Nothing wrong with the piston guns if you decide you need one. Just make sure it is a good one.

Q. Why cant I run my AR in a more "Non Diagnostic" fashion as it relates to clearing malfunctions and checking its status.

A. Becase it is a unique system with different controls. Deal with it and dont try to run it like an AK. Again, I really believe that most malfunctions with the AR are best solved preventitively.
    Buy a good gun
    Buy good ammo
    Buy good mags
    Keep it lubed
    Maintain it a little bit when it needs it
    Replace parts before they break not after.

Q. What is the service life of my AR?
    A. It depends. The following things kill AR's; Heat,Wear on surfaces,Erosion of barrels and gas ports.In civillian use (Non suppressed/non full auto) I have know very few people to have worn out an AR. Mostly what I have seen has been stuff like small springs that needed replacing, occasionally a bolt or barrel. Most civillians do not "Shoot Out" guns as it is cost prohibitive.

Q. Should I have spare parts for my AR.
    A. It depends. To my mind the fact that all of the big problems that you can quickly fix with an AR (without armorer tools) can be fixed with a few small parts means yes.
    Spare Bolt Assembly
    Spare Firing Pin
    Spare Firing pin retainer
    Spare Charging handle.
    Spare Buffer spring
    Spare Bolt Carrier (Maybe)
    Spare Fire control group pins (Maybe)

Any other problems you wil need tools to fix and you wont be doing it quickly under field conditions.If you know you are going to have to run an AR for a long time without Armorer support the above parts can be had for around 160$ or so. It is pretty cheap piece of mind as far as I am concerned.

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    In a funny bit of serendipity, I got this in my Email box just now:

Dan Agakian - Suarez International Staff Instructor

I get asked alot of questions on the AR15/M16 series weapons quite regularly and I wanted to take a minute to post some answers to common questions.

Shooter521,

Serendipitous indeed! I'm working my way through the 'which first, AK or AR' consideration right now and this article felt like a very helpful assessment. Thanks for passing it along.

With appreciation,

Troy

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I have a variety of AKs, mostly 5.45x39, for my family. I plan on getting a S&W AR in 5.45x39 for myself. I figure I am the one who practices and who maintains the rifles, so I should get the most accurate setup I can. That said, I would have no qualms whatsoever on relying upon any of my AKs personally. If I ever needed to make a 300-400 yard shot, I would probably be better off not taking it in the first place. In fact, there are very few shots over 200 yards where I live.

In terms of real world accuracy, I don't see any issues with an AK up to 150 yards or so. Practice and a good zero on the iron sights would easily extend that to 200 yards.

AK-47.net: How to Sight in an AK

I plan to get some improved front sight posts and tech sights for all of mine, starting with the Tantal.

Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

I think there is accuracy there that is lost in the clunky stock sights.

Having had extensive play time on a Daniel Defense AR, I can safely say that the AK is a far more stupid friendly platform. However, I clean my AKs very well and that's not always easy. The inside of an AK reciever has alot of nooks and crannies that are hard to get at. For ease of cleaning I would highly suggest (mandatory really) a shephards hook replacement to make it simple to remove the trigger group.

AK-47 Shepherd's Crook Replacement [316 SCR Lever AK47] : BlackJack Buffers LLC

I would also hightly recommend making sure the muzzle brake is removable so it can be cleaned.

All in all, I'm sure the AR is the superior platform for a trained, skilled, and motivated individual. The AK is perfect for everybody else. My arthritic Mom shot one without any issues at all. Enough said.

-Calvin

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Like said by previous posters, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Right now the cheapest Wolf 7.62x39 I have seen is $7.50 a box. The cheapest 5.56x45 I have seen $9.95 a box. The AK will take more then you can throw at it, and laugh. It's accuracy though falls short of an AR. Also the other downside in my eyes is the bolt does not stay open, after the last round is fired. The AR is more accurate, and out to farher distances. There are a ton of aftermarket parts. There are a number of different uppers, if you want different calibers. IMHO for up close reliable fire I choose the AK. If I wanted something for shooting 100 plus yards, I would choose the AR.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Lots of good advice here with very little squabling :yesway:

My :twocents:...

I've owned 6 AKs, Still own 4
    I've only owned 4 ARs, still own 3

I'd buy the AR :yesway:

(1.)I might reconsider if we were talking full auto but we're not
    (2.)Although it's cool to have the AK at the range, the AR out shoots it with 1 hand tied behind it's back 100% of the time(and that's really what it's about isn't it?)
    (3.)I might also reconsider if I did alot of shooting through concrete blocks
    (4.)I keep my guns clean and I'm not in a sand box
    (5.)There is no comparison in the two when it comes to accurate follow up shots (and again, we are not talking "spray and pray" but semi auto)

It's up to you, I like both but for completely different reasons.
    Have fun and be safe:patriot:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Just to be different, get an AUG. :D

The SI instructor is correct IME. The AR platform is just fine with a few minutes of basic maintenance every now and again. Assuming you're not an illiterate, uneducated peasant conscript, it's pretty easy. In my time in the Corps, none of my issued rifles EVER had a malfunction in field conditions unless it involved blanks and those dang BFAs. Infantry training conditions are more demanding than anything 99.99999999% of civilians will ever encounter, and my A2s worked fine, whether it was the dust bowl that is Pendleton or the muddy slop of Germany's Böblingen woods in December. Based on those experiences, I'd say the AR as a platform is plenty reliable for my uses, particularly as a dirty civilian. (assuming a reputable mfer, not Johnny Hilljack's franken-parts gun he build under the shadetree, or course. Same goes for any open-source weapon like ARs, 1911s, etc)

Generally speaking, the refrain that "ARs are unreliable" comes from internet commandos repeating an internet mantra that they read on some gun board.

If you are a peasant conscript, have no idea how to clean a weapon, and intend on crawling through mud and sand for weeks on end, then maybe in those conditions the AK's "better reliability" would be a concern. :):

It would still be cool to have one for sure. Fun as heck (and CHEAP!) to shoot.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Years ago, in a sand box far far away I just finished cleaning an M16A4 and walked about 50 yards to go shoot it and had jams. It was dry as a bone, but had graphite powder on all the moving parts. An AR that is completely clean & dry will fire just fine, but in that short distance enough dust got in to make the rifle jam during the test fire. AR's are good, but I'll never be without oil around it somewhere again.

I completely agree that military use and dirty nasty filthy civilian use are two different animals. My hunting guns can't imagine the abuse my old M16 had.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Generally speaking, the refrain that "ARs are unreliable" comes from internet commandos repeating an internet mantra that they read on some gun board.

IME, it either comes from someone repeating a mantra they heard from so-and-so who fought in Nam (land of the Mattel M16s and the AKs that could shoot .223 and 7.62x39 interchangeably), or is based on an experience with something other than a competently assembled rifle (you mean, a Model 1 parts kit assembled on a Hesse receiver by some meathead without the proper tools or the vaguest understanding of how the gun is supposed to work actually failed?)

My :twocents:

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I own a custom Saiga ak47 and a ar15 both in 7.62x39. I feel, I have the best of both worlds.

I think the ak's accuracy suffers more from the short radius sighting system, and the 16" carbine barrel, currently employed on most ak rifles.

It has a rear sight designed more for quick snap shots, close range.

There are some new rear sight systems, that help to improve longer range sight pictures, and provide a longer sight radius.

Also the ak is a carbine. So when comparing it to a AR, compare it to the accuracy of the average 16" AR15, in the same caliber.

There are some .223/5.56 ak's, that are plenty accurate. I have owned (3) over the years. A Vepr K, chinese norinco, and a Daewoo K2 (not really a ak), all accurate enough. Especially the Daewoo.

The SKS is a good rifle. I have owned one, and wish I had bought the model, that took ak mags. The SKS is more accurate probably, due to the longer barrel and sight radius.

The Finnish Valmet/Sako, South African R4, and Israeli Galil/Cenutry Arms Golani incorporate rear sights, some peep type. These ak style rifles, hold their own, in the accuracy department.

The 7.62x39 AR15 has been taking deer up to 300 yards.

With the advent of the AR15 piston upper, I believe that the AR15 may be a step closer, to the reliability of the AK.

I own a FAL, and would like to have AR15 piston uppers in that style, in the future.

CMMG sells a complete piston AR15, for around $1200 to $1400.

I like the AR15 system more for being modular, than anything. Take off an upper, put on another different style, caliber, or even gas system.

That's the real selling point of the AR15, if any, over the Ak47.

Anybody can operate a ak rifle, but not anybody can hit with a ak rifle, at distance. It still takes a trained rifleman.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom