• ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    mammynun -

I bought some precision polished drill rod from McMaster Carr to use in my 5.45 to check the 24mm concentricity. Unfortunately none of them are consistent. Some are OK to use an adapter on the FSB, and some aren't. Of course the ones I really wanted to use an adapter on were borderline. ;) So I made the decision that any rifle I want to put a suppressor on will just need some 'custom' work.

both of the AKs I have that take suppressors (1 - 5.56, 1-5.45) have 1/2x28 threads cut into the barrel *in front* of the FSB. The ak-74 above has the FSB pushed back about a 1/2" and pinned (easy to do with a new barrel), and the SLR-106UR SBR has an extra 1/2" of barrel left in front of the FSB that I threaded 1/2x28. All the threads were cut on a lathe and are concentric to the bore, and the front of the FSB was faced off to be square to the threads to give the suppressor sometime to seat against. The muzzle brake for both screw onto the FSB as normal, and cover (hide) the extra threads.

cai74-16.jpg

slr106ur-1.jpg

slr106ur-2.jpg

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    mammynun -

I bought some precision polished drill rod from McMaster Carr to use in my 5.45 to check the 24mm concentricity. Unfortunately none of them are consistent. Some are OK to use an adapter on the FSB, and some aren't. Of course the ones I really wanted to use an adapter on were borderline. ;) So I made the decision that any rifle I want to put a suppressor on will just need some 'custom' work.

both of the AKs I have that take suppressors (1 - 5.56, 1-5.45) have 1/2x28 threads cut into the barrel *in front* of the FSB. The ak-74 above has the FSB pushed back about a 1/2" and pinned (easy to do with a new barrel), and the SLR-106UR SBR has an extra 1/2" of barrel left in front of the FSB that I threaded 1/2x28. All the threads were cut on a lathe and are concentric to the bore, and the front of the FSB was faced off to be square to the threads to give the suppressor sometime to seat against. The muzzle brake for both screw onto the FSB as normal, and cover (hide) the extra threads.

Damn. I was afraid of that. I was hoping you'd say "Get one of these US Machinegun: AK-47 to AR-10 (14x1LH to 5/8x24) Thread Adapter, THREAD ADAPTERS, TAAK-2AR10 and slap a 51t Blackout on it and you're done." :):

I might have enough extra barrel on the Saiga to get it chopped, recrowned, and rethreaded in 5/8" by a gunsmith. Then again, that might create an SBR. :rolleyes: Here's what it looked like after I cut off the shroud, but before I threaded it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Damn. I was afraid of that. I was hoping you'd say "Get one of these US Machinegun: AK-47 to AR-10 (14x1LH to 5/8x24) Thread Adapter, THREAD ADAPTERS, TAAK-2AR10 and slap a 51t Blackout on it and you're done." :):

I might have enough extra barrel on the Saiga to get it chopped, recrowned, and rethreaded in 5/8" by a gunsmith. Then again, that might create an SBR. :rolleyes: Here's what it looked like after I cut off the shroud, but before I threaded it.

Oh you can use that adapter on a threaded barrel. Barrel threads should be good to go, it's front sight base 24mm (or 22mm, or 26mm) threads that I would be wary of.

Huntertown Arms make an AK suppressor that threads onto the standard 14mm AKM threads with out issue, so that adapter should be fine.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Oh you can use that adapter on a threaded barrel. Barrel threads should be good to go, it's front sight base 24mm (or 22mm, or 26mm) threads that I would be wary of.

Huntertown Arms make an AK suppressor that threads onto the standard 14mm AKM threads with out issue, so that adapter should be fine.

Welllll... I threaded the barrel (14x1LH) manually, and I'm not sure I can trust myself or the thread alignment tool.

Pic thread:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I threaded an original SAM7 w/ a thread alignment tool and die. It works fine with a suppressor.

oh, and nice Chinese fully stamped magazine in the picture ;)

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Polish AKMS

-Damage Industries gen 2 rails
    -XS Big Dot sights
    -Surefire X300
    -Midwest Industries brake
    -Magpul mag, grip, and AFG

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well, I wish I was, cause if thats what you do, it sounds awesome! unfortunatley Im not a gamer anymore...... well, haven't been since probably high school lol

Picture thread:

aimrdraco.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    That one's not mine, I just keep it in the spank bank for reference.

Here is mine:

aimr6.JPG

aimr7.JPG

If I had known that those stocks would now be going for MORE than I paid for the Draco, I would have bought everyone I could find, but there were only a very limited number of them, like 50.

If you really want one, a guy on theakforum.net is making copies.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That's awesome clay!! Te hardest part for me would be replicating a rear tang. Does your stock lock folded and shut?
    I saw the replicas but there's no way I'm paying almost $300 for a replica stock that I can make myself just as good. It would eat a me :)

Top Bottom