Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Do you have any hair on your knuckles? lol

Old faithful
    YUGOAK.jpg

Did you trim the grenade sights off of old faithful?! HERESY!!!

I've got a yugo, and I'm looking forward to launching some dummy grenades :rockwoot:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Definitly keep it. Get a regular stock and a pistol grip and make this baby look nice. Oh, and just so you'll know, if you don't already. It has the SVD type of scope rail. Something to keep in mind if you want to add optics.

Also keep in mind that a rail for the "svd" optics will only will only fit optics that are for 7.62 x54r that rail will not work on your typical 7.62x39 optics such as a psop this rail on this rifle looks like a pso rail not a psop, dont go putting a psop optic on a pso rail. Wont work wont even fit.

Also if it is, and im sure by looking at it, why would they install a pso rail on a 7.62 x39
    ? The x39 psop optic is calibrated for a 7.62 x39 and the pso optic is calibrated for a 54r

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The converted Saigas from Classic Arms seems to be a damn good deal on a good base AK. Russian Saiga 7.62x39 AK-47 Variation Rifle w/ Special Promo Shooters Package - Long Guns

Those aren't fully converted. The front end won't accept a standard handguard, bayonet, cleaning rod, or flash hider. Probably has the sporter sight that is marked 1 2 3. Plus it looks like the trigger holes are plugged rather than filled in. Don't get me wrong, not a bad deal but not a steal either. I would spend a couple more bucks and get an Arsenal, Vector, or even an M&M for the same money

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Also keep in mind that a rail for the "svd" optics will only will only fit optics that are for 7.62 x54r that rail will not work on your typical 7.62x39 optics such as a psop this rail on this rifle looks like a pso rail not a psop, dont go putting a psop optic on a pso rail. Wont work wont even fit.

Also if it is, and im sure by looking at it, why would they install a pso rail on a 7.62 x39
    ? The x39 psop optic is calibrated for a 7.62 x39 and the pso optic is calibrated for a 54r

A POSP will work on that rail. It is the same rail that is on the PSL, and POSPs are made for that rail as well as for AKs. The PSL sports the SVD style rail. None of the rails are calibrated for anything, it's the optics that are "calibrated".

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Cerberus is correct despite the design differences in the ak/psl/svd its just cosmetic they will all mount up .... bullet drop compensation may be off (if it applies to your optic) but that would be about it.... but once your zero is obtained it should pretty much be in the ball park for removal/reinstall

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    eh, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I'm pretty sure the SVD/PSL rail is different than the AK rifle rail. Go take a look at some of the places that sell Russian optics (ie www.kalinkaoptics.com), and you will see they have two different optics for the different rails.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Im wondering why they installed that type of rail on a Romy? Does anyone else have a romy with a rail like this?
    I was reading some LPS type 2's were calibrated for a 7.62x39

That would explain the choice for this type of rail?

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    UPDATED!!!!!
    found this to teach us somethings about akm side rails and romy rifles!!
    link
    Russian Optics Applications

Romanian Early Pattern AKM

Romanian WUM-1 with SVD-type side optics plate

This early Romanian AKM modification is actually a good solution to mounting the standard Romanian PS-01 (PSO-1) to the AK frame. The rifle has a shortened version of the SVD rail installed (see below), and the plate has been raised and positioned forward to provide adequate eye relief and height to clear the rear sight base. These were imported on many WUM-1 and early Romak-1 rifles. I have read reports that many of these became loose, either due to the fact there is little support in this area of the receiver, or to improperly installed rivets. Later models have been retrofitted with the Romanian standard AK-74 side plates.

I learned something today:n00b:

Last edited:

xxkornxx56

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Clinton
    On the first page in this thread I saw a picture of Costa with an AK and the magazine had a ranger plate on it. Do they sell these? I have looked before but never had any luck finding such a product.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    On the first page in this thread I saw a picture of Costa with an AK and the magazine had a ranger plate on it. Do they sell these? I have looked before but never had any luck finding such a product.

Well i found those which are for a 5.56x45 ak mag MAGPUL RANGER PLATE USGI 5.56X45 3 PACK - Lincoln Tactical

but in all honestly i dont believe they speed up ur reload any because of the rocking type locking method in a ak

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    About as "tactical" as I can stand my AK. Vector underfolder built on a polish ((11)) kit, US Palm brown bakelite grip and mag, polish tantal bakelite lower handguard
    IMG_20121025_091000_935.jpg

IMG_20121025_090436_896.jpg

Ultimak, Vortex Sparc (hopefully to be replace by an Aimpoint Micro soon), and Surefire G2 in a Viking Tactics mount
    IMG_20121025_090634_003.jpg

Battlecomp
    IMG_20121025_090715_354.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Not sure yet, took the picture about 5 minutes after installing it. The BC on my M4 is amazing, so hopefully it tames the bigger, badder 47 round. I'm planning on picking up a 26mm Dynacomp from Spikes for my Yugo M92, and it will be interesting to see how the 2 compare.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    About as "tactical" as I can stand my AK. Vector underfolder built on a polish ((11)) kit, US Palm brown bakelite grip and mag, polish tantal bakelite lower handguard
    Have you shot it with the Viking mount? I've wanted to use it on an Ultimak or RS Regulate BM-1 (which is awesome), but I'm afraid the heat will melt it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Have you shot it with the Viking mount? I've wanted to use it on an Ultimak or RS Regulate BM-1 (which is awesome), but I'm afraid the heat will melt it.

That BM-1 looks incredible. Only reason I went with the VTAC is I found a used one at Trail Dust (local military surplus store) for $10, and had an extra Surefire in a drawer. I ran a couple hundred rounds through the gun trying to cook the VTAC and Sparc, but neither were effected by the heat to my surprise.

Top Bottom