• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Where you located, I'm up around Plymouth type area.
    If you look where hose hooks to tank and it only has a plastic nipple, then no tank filter. If it has a black rubber grommet on bottom, then it has a small screen type in tank filter. I don't remember which kohler engines had them , but alot had block mounted pulse fuel pumps on the side near the ohv cover
    I'm down by Cicero. No tank filter, I found one online. New one is $250!

Just found a thread of a guy who reports a similar problem, same model of Deere. I think I am gonna try your trick in the AM...disconnect the line before the filter or even before shut off valve. If nothing comes out, then I will pull the tank. Found a video for that on YT, looks like a < 30 minute job. Will blow it out with air and flush anything into a pop bottle if needed.

Mrs. Miguel told me to stop messing around an buy a new one, but I would rather buy guns, ammo and reloading components than a new mower. Then again, Mrs. Miguel would prefer the new mower... :):

I'll post an update tomorrow. I'd start tonight but don't think the neighbors would appreciate it if I got it running tonight.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm down by Cicero. No tank filter, I found one online. New one is $250!

Just found a thread of a guy who reports a similar problem, same model of Deere. I think I am gonna try your trick in the AM...disconnect the line before the filter or even before shut off valve. If nothing comes out, then I will pull the tank. Found a video for that on YT, looks like a < 30 minute job. Will blow it out with air and flush anything into a pop bottle if needed.

Mrs. Miguel told me to stop messing around an buy a new one, but I would rather buy guns, ammo and reloading components than a new mower. Then again, Mrs. Miguel would prefer the new mower... :):

I'll post an update tomorrow. I'd start tonight but don't think the neighbors would appreciate it if I got it running tonight.
    Once you pull line and nothing comes out or does cone out good, you dont have to pull tank to blow out. Put enough of your blow gun in tank and somewhat seal opening with a rag.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Well fellas, I did what @gassprint1 suggested and disconnected the line above the fuel filter AND above the on/off valve to boot. Nothing but 6" of hose and the fuel tank at that point.

At first, the gas sadly dripped, then I poked a rigid wire down in the tank "out" hole and it bubbled, then the dam-o-skank in that tank gave way! The drip became a stream which I caught in this empty Gatorade bottle. Note the gas was brand new and poured in last night. Maybe a quart or so. The gross stuff was blocking the line between the tank out hole and the on/off valve.

full

After this, I grabbed a half bottle of STP I had and ran it through to keep things coming and it continued to drain well, carrying micro-barges of gunk with it! After, there were some bits of goo near the bottom of the empty tank I was able to fish out with a long screwdriver. Then I ran another pint of fresh gas through it. Flowed like the Colorado River in Spring time. :D

For the coup de grace, I got the air tank out and blew 50 psi into the tank. The rag on the end of the fuel line was similarly gross like the Gatorade bottle. Ran another pint through to make sure anything that was in any way loose had free fare out of the tank and line.

Unfortunately I used all the gas I had on hand rinsing the tank/hose out, so I could not test drive. I'll make a run after lunch and drop half a gallon into her.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    f6c.jpg

On my test run in the yard tonight, the unthinkable happened. The engine started to mumble and died. :(

She gave up the ghost right after Miguel Jr. shot the celebratory video of me circling the potato and tomato patch. :( :(

I gave it a break for a minute or so and it did restart, but died again a few hundred feet later. The engine did not feel "hot" in an overheated sense. No smoke, no bad smells, no horrible sounds. Just surrendered to destiny, I fear.

Our only clue is that the fuel filter appears totally empty. It's one of those Deere see-thru, clear plastic ones. Granted the sun was behind the trees but Miguel is a 20/20 vision guy and did not see one drop in the filter. We jiggled the line and I shimmied a little on the seat to make sure gas was moving around. There was not much in the tank, but plenty to make it run in my opinion.

THIS ENGINE IS GRAVITY OPERATED BY THE WAY. Kohler Command 13 in a Deere.

I'm at a loss at this point. It ran like a champ for 5-10 minutes last night while parked in the garage and started fine today. I was driving around the yard and then it just gave up. Assuming it is fuel related due to the filter being dry, but I don't know why gas would not be making the < 8" trip from tank to fuel filter. Fuel shutoff valve is s couple of inches "above" the filter and below the tank. But again, I don't know why it would run fine last night and NOT tonight while driving around?

Do gravity fed engines need a minimum amount of fuel to keep it flowing?

For late comers to the thread, all of the following have been replaced in the last week:
    • spark plug
    • carburetor
    • fuel filter
    • fuel shut-off valve
    • every inch of fuel hose from carb to shut-off valve
    • air filter
    • foamy air pre-filter
    • oil filter
    • ALL oil drained and brand new oil put in. Even ran some extra oil through right into the drain pan to get out any contaminants that may have been there due to it being parked for a while.
    • ALL fuel drained and about half a gallon of brand new Marathon fuel (87) put in.
    • new battery (battery reads solid 12.7+ on multimeter)
    • air in tires
    Anyone have any insights before I drop $5k on a new mower this weekend? My thought was to take off fuel tank to make sure there wasn't any skank loged in there, but I'm kind of "done" with this multi-year project.
    Went through same thing with my x530 John deere. Bought Amazon eBay carb. Wouldn't run after tried everything new coil new ecm ever. Finally I took it to dealership I got. They put a factory oem carb. Runs like new

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Well fellas, I did what @gassprint1 suggested and disconnected the line above the fuel filter AND above the on/off valve to boot. Nothing but 6" of hose and the fuel tank at that point.

At first, the gas sadly dripped, then I poked a rigid wire down in the tank "out" hole and it bubbled, then the dam-o-skank in that tank gave way! The drip became a stream which I caught in this empty Gatorade bottle. Note the gas was brand new and poured in last night. Maybe a quart or so. The gross stuff was blocking the line between the tank out hole and the on/off valve.

full

After this, I grabbed a half bottle of STP I had and ran it through to keep things coming and it continued to drain well, carrying micro-barges of gunk with it! After, there were some bits of goo near the bottom of the empty tank I was able to fish out with a long screwdriver. Then I ran another pint of fresh gas through it. Flowed like the Colorado River in Spring time. :D

For the coup de grace, I got the air tank out and blew 50 psi into the tank. The rag on the end of the fuel line was similarly gross like the Gatorade bottle. Ran another pint through to make sure anything that was in any way loose had free fare out of the tank and line.

Unfortunately I used all the gas I had on hand rinsing the tank/hose out, so I could not test drive. I'll make a run after lunch and drop half a gallon into her.
    My money is on, this'll fix it.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Just got some gas, put ~ a half gallon in. Won't even turn over.

Took off the air filter, sprayed carb cleaner in carb while trying to start and it almost started but as I don't have orangutan arms I was unable to hold the position long enough to keep spraying.

To say Miguel is bent is an understatement. Ready to Tannerite this pig. With a Mosin, on principle. :):

I suppose I owe it to myself to drain, remove and scour the tank with acetone or some **** but time is starting to have some value for me. So many other things to do.

Open to last gasp obvious or brilliant ideas.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    OK, I'm sobering up a little about this whole thing. I went back up to Reynolds and told them my experience. They reaffirmed everything I've been told here and the 2,491 YouTube videos and forum posts have said...got to be between the carb and the fuel tank. Or, my problem isn't another part, as he said.

After supper I'm going to give it another go and check all the connections along the fuel line. If those all pass muster, I will buckle down and remove the fuel tank for a thorough delousing.

If it doesn't run by Noon on Friday, the next time you see Miguel, he will be commanding this beast! :):

9r490_r4f105793_1024x576_large_5aeb1f8804ecaf90d77b63c32a7a73dafa649a15.jpg

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Thursday PM update!

Took off fuel filter and shutoff valve. Some additional yuck came out. Reassembled. Started and ran strong. I ran it outside garage for 8 minutes, then put the throttle in the "turtle" position and she conked out after 15 seconds. (I was timing everything for reference points...)

Ate supper with the boys and came back out. Started up just fine, went into back and mowed about 25% of the yard. Grass is kind of long but not stupidly so. No uphill or downhill, just a simple grade to the back of the property and dodging some bushes, trees along the way.

10 minutes in, she started to sputter a little so I disengaged PTO and headed back to garage. Died before I got there.

Came in for a drink, will go back out and try to get it started and back to garage. Not sure why it would stall out like that. I'm a big guy, but I have seen much heavier guys riding older, duct-taped together rigs so I can't imagine 13 HP isn't enough to haul me around. Tomorrow I may have Miguel Jr or Mini Miguel, who are lean and fit, take some laps on it to see if they have the same experience.

More tomorrow!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I hate to say this, but at this point I have to ask. Have you replaced every inch of fuel line? I only ask because it may need done given the amount of gunk you got out of the tank and depending on the age of the mower. Gas line does not last forever.

When I did my new carb a few weeks ago replacing all the fuel line was also done. At some point my grandfather taught me if you are replacing a carb may as well make sure your lines are good. I was a teenager back then, but the lesson stuck. Most things he taught me have proved true to many times to question it. I forget not everyone received his wisdom sometimes(he was a mechanic all his life, even after he retired with 41 years in the motor pool he restored MGs and International tractor's).

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Have not replaced line directly out of tank yet. The rest of it from shutoff valve to carb is brand new from Deere dealer.

That will be my next step. Got some other thing in front of it this weekend.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    IT WORKS! IT WORKS! IT WORKS!

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!! :D

Last night I went through all the forums and decided it could not be the fuel line at this point, after all that I did to it. (new carb, fuel line, filter, shutoff valve, etc)

One thing that was consistent in many of the mower forums was, "Engine seems really hot, hotter than it should" and "Just sputters and dies", and "then it runs just fine..."

In each instance, some guy came in and said, "Sounds like a bad ignition coil..." so I trucked down to Reynolds and picked one up for $30. Of all the things I did, this was the easiest repair. Took me < 20 minutes, and that included having to search for the metal clip that the oil tube screw threads into. (it fell under the engine when I took the flywheel cover off)

Fired right up, sounded great, never stuttered or hesitated and didn't smell like it was on fire when I was done. Changed speed and went in reverse a couple of times, just to make sure it wouldn't choke on me.

Of course now I need to get the blades sharpened and replace a couple of missing screws to tighten up a couple of the baffles. But now, La Familia Miguel does not have the shame of my boys using a push mower while everyone else uses their riders. :):

Thanks again for the ears and advice. I think we can consider the book "closed" on this repair!

If not, the next chapter will be "WTS/WTT". LOL

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Coils are pretty resilient but when that coating cracks and they get hot, can short out windings, reducing the output voltage. Temperature and vibration can really frustrate troubleshooting as you have well learned. Good job sir!

Top Bottom