• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I did 3 rebuilds on Chinese ATV's about a month ago. They had been setting for 15 years and everything needed replaced. So I did. Amazonian parts and the carbs were not that bad but I rolled the dice and bought 1 to try it and it went from cold blooded to fire right up and zip around status and all ended up doing well. I bought one for the grandkids. 200cc and really not a bad quad for the money. A buddy of mine had bought them new and when his kids left home he stored them. All 3 exhausts were full of some kind of nuts so when I fired them up they were shoot nuts out the exhaust.. quite funny!
    So my wife likes the ATV and rides it to do chores on. I have 2 Kawasaki Bayou 220's to do next and carbs are ordered for them also. One of these years i will get to them..

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've bought several brands and had good luck. Getting one made for your sized engine is key. The same looking carb might be jetted for a different sized motor. I even got my tiller running by finding a new carb on ebay for $7!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I did 3 rebuilds on Chinese ATV's about a month ago. They had been setting for 15 years and everything needed replaced. So I did. Amazonian parts and the carbs were not that bad but I rolled the dice and bought 1 to try it and it went from cold blooded to fire right up and zip around status and all ended up doing well. I bought one for the grandkids. 200cc and really not a bad quad for the money. A buddy of mine had bought them new and when his kids left home he stored them. All 3 exhausts were full of some kind of nuts so when I fired them up they were shoot nuts out the exhaust.. quite funny!
    So my wife likes the ATV and rides it to do chores on. I have 2 Kawasaki Bayou 220's to do next and carbs are ordered for them also. One of these years i will get to them..
    I have a Polaris 50 that I kept after the boys grew up, it's been sitting over 10 years now.
    I'm sure it will need a carb and battery when it comes time to start it back up.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That’s a fun little machine! I worked on one a few years back. I rode it around
    They are, we had two and I kept the newer one.
    I bought a generic Eton for 700.00 bucks and it was pull start, only a rear brake and the wheel base was super short. That thing would turn like a tricycle and after having it get flipped over a few times, I went to the Polaris dealer and bought a Predator 50 for a bunch more money.
    But it had ft and rear brakes, elect start, oil injection and a much better suspension system. I just couldn't bear to sell them both.
    When the garage door is open kids used to walk up after they had seen it in the corner of the garage and ask, hey mister can we..... and I would cut them off. nope, the owners not home right now to ask. They just walk down the alley kicking rocks...

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'm going in for the grand finale, fellas!

Just finished putting the new fuel filter and fuel line on. Who in the world are the Titans who simply push the filter or shut-off valve in the hose and secure it in 2-3 seconds?!?!?! It takes me 2-3 minutes to get in on anywhere near a place I feel comfortable and still feel like I have 1/8 - 1/16" more I can go! Guess that is what the clamps are for...

Just started putting oil in and decided to come in for a drink before I take a measurement. Not sure I'll get it started tonight as I never picked up a new battery and Miguel Jr. and Mini Miguel are unavailable to make a run.

Remaining steps are to check the oil level and top it off as needed, install the new spark plug and then put in a pint of petrol. If I can't get a battery before sundown and am feeling racy, I may have to disconnect the seat safety and try to jump her with my battery jump starter pack. Otherwise I'll get the battery in the AM.

And, of course, I will re-install the safety switch once I get a battery and try to start mowing. Primarily because I don't believe the PTO will engage without it connected. :):

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm going in for the grand finale, fellas!

Just finished putting the new fuel filter and fuel line on. Who in the world are the Titans who simply push the filter or shut-off valve in the hose and secure it in 2-3 seconds?!?!?! It takes me 2-3 minutes to get in on anywhere near a place I feel comfortable and still feel like I have 1/8 - 1/16" more I can go! Guess that is what the clamps are for...

Just started putting oil in and decided to come in for a drink before I take a measurement. Not sure I'll get it started tonight as I never picked up a new battery and Miguel Jr. and Mini Miguel are unavailable to make a run.

Remaining steps are to check the oil level and top it off as needed, install the new spark plug and then put in a pint of petrol. If I can't get a battery before sundown and am feeling racy, I may have to disconnect the seat safety and try to jump her with my battery jump starter pack. Otherwise I'll get the battery in the AM.

And, of course, I will re-install the safety switch once I get a battery and try to start mowing. Primarily because I don't believe the PTO will engage without it connected. :):
    Most times i won't use a clamp on filters or shutoff valve when using new fuel line. They make such a tight connection when installed, it's not necessary. This kinda is why you mangled the last filter trying to remove for a forgotten clamp.

To jump start, set the parking brake. It trips the safety swiches, so no need to bypass anything.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    IT WORKED! :D

The battery was doornail dead, but when we put the battery jumper into "boost" mode, she fired right up. I was so excited I forgot to throttle down from "choke" to "run" and having sat for several years, she started smoking like a 1930s film noir detective! :):

I let it run, then turned it off for a few minutes. While running, the multimeter showed the battery at 14.8, which gave me hope, but it would not start without the battery pack. In all, we started it twice more, letting it run from 3-5 minutes each time. The last one, sounded like it did when I first took posession of it in 2003.

Tomorrow I'll get a new battery and take a few non-mowing passes around the property.

A friend recommended doing an immediate oil change, just to make sure any nasty stuff that might have loosened up after its "hibernation" gets washed away...what do you think? I've got the oil on hand, so it wouldn't be a big deal. I'd leave the filter alone since it's new.

Thanks to all who lent advice and moral support! If there are any other updates, I'll post a follow up.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI

The battery was doornail dead, but when we put the battery jumper into "boost" mode, she fired right up. I was so excited I forgot to throttle down from "choke" to "run" and having sat for several years, she started smoking like a 1930s film noir detective! :):

I let it run, then turned it off for a few minutes. While running, the multimeter showed the battery at 14.8, which gave me hope, but it would not start without the battery pack. In all, we started it twice more, letting it run from 3-5 minutes each time. The last one, sounded like it did when I first took posession of it in 2003.

Tomorrow I'll get a new battery and take a few non-mowing passes around the property.

A friend recommended doing an immediate oil change, just to make sure any nasty stuff that might have loosened up after its "hibernation" gets washed away...what do you think? I've got the oil on hand, so it wouldn't be a big deal. I'd leave the filter alone since it's new.

Thanks to all who lent advice and moral support! If there are any other updates, I'll post a follow up.
    Ouch, if something sits that long, automatically change the oil so your not mixing and pushing it back thru the whole system. Any time i do something like what you resurrected, i got the oil plug out and draining while working on the other stuff.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Ouch, if something sits that long, automatically change the oil so your not mixing and pushing it back thru the whole system. Any time i do something like what you resurrected, i got the oil plug out and draining while working on the other stuff.
    Yeah, I did a complete job on her before I got to reassembly last night. Drained all oil, all gas, replaced oil/air filters, spark plug, resealed valve cover, add wiped the whole thing down with some rags.

I'm just wondering if a second oil change would be in order?

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Yeah, I did a complete job on her before I got to reassembly last night. Drained all oil, all gas, replaced oil/air filters, spark plug, resealed valve cover, add wiped the whole thing down with some rags.

I'm just wondering if a second oil change would be in order?
    If you did it before turning engine over or starting, then it's good, but it's totally up to you being your the operator. Another thing i did that i forgot to mention, i pour about a pint of oil back in once old oil starts dripping out and then tilt engine or the machine over as far as i can because you'll have that little bit of old stuff in the recessed part of the engine pan that won't just drain out. I've always done it this way. Of course riding mowers are harder to do this to but very doable. Enjoy your machine.. sounds like you accomplished alot with it..

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

If you did it before turning engine over or starting, then it's good, but it's totally up to you being your the operator. Another thing i did that i forgot to mention, i pour about a pint of oil back in once old oil starts dripping out and then tilt engine or the machine over as far as i can because you'll have that little bit of old stuff in the recessed part of the engine pan that won't just drain out. I've always done it this way. Of course riding mowers are harder to do this to but very doable. Enjoy your machine.. sounds like you accomplished alot with it..
    Thanks.

I will take it on a non-mowing test drive today. Then I will recheck oil. If it looks good, I'll run her until late summer.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    f6c.jpg

On my test run in the yard tonight, the unthinkable happened. The engine started to mumble and died. :(

She gave up the ghost right after Miguel Jr. shot the celebratory video of me circling the potato and tomato patch. :( :(

I gave it a break for a minute or so and it did restart, but died again a few hundred feet later. The engine did not feel "hot" in an overheated sense. No smoke, no bad smells, no horrible sounds. Just surrendered to destiny, I fear.

Our only clue is that the fuel filter appears totally empty. It's one of those Deere see-thru, clear plastic ones. Granted the sun was behind the trees but Miguel is a 20/20 vision guy and did not see one drop in the filter. We jiggled the line and I shimmied a little on the seat to make sure gas was moving around. There was not much in the tank, but plenty to make it run in my opinion.

THIS ENGINE IS GRAVITY OPERATED BY THE WAY. Kohler Command 13 in a Deere.

I'm at a loss at this point. It ran like a champ for 5-10 minutes last night while parked in the garage and started fine today. I was driving around the yard and then it just gave up. Assuming it is fuel related due to the filter being dry, but I don't know why gas would not be making the < 8" trip from tank to fuel filter. Fuel shutoff valve is s couple of inches "above" the filter and below the tank. But again, I don't know why it would run fine last night and NOT tonight while driving around?

Do gravity fed engines need a minimum amount of fuel to keep it flowing?

For late comers to the thread, all of the following have been replaced in the last week:
    • spark plug
    • carburetor
    • fuel filter
    • fuel shut-off valve
    • every inch of fuel hose from carb to shut-off valve
    • air filter
    • foamy air pre-filter
    • oil filter
    • ALL oil drained and brand new oil put in. Even ran some extra oil through right into the drain pan to get out any contaminants that may have been there due to it being parked for a while.
    • ALL fuel drained and about half a gallon of brand new Marathon fuel (87) put in.
    • new battery (battery reads solid 12.7+ on multimeter)
    • air in tires
    Anyone have any insights before I drop $5k on a new mower this weekend? My thought was to take off fuel tank to make sure there wasn't any skank loged in there, but I'm kind of "done" with this multi-year project.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    f6c.jpg

On my test run in the yard tonight, the unthinkable happened. The engine started to mumble and died. :(

She gave up the ghost right after Miguel Jr. shot the celebratory video of me circling the potato and tomato patch. :( :(

I gave it a break for a minute or so and it did restart, but died again a few hundred feet later. The engine did not feel "hot" in an overheated sense. No smoke, no bad smells, no horrible sounds. Just surrendered to destiny, I fear.

Our only clue is that the fuel filter appears totally empty. It's one of those Deere see-thru, clear plastic ones. Granted the sun was behind the trees but Miguel is a 20/20 vision guy and did not see one drop in the filter. We jiggled the line and I shimmied a little on the seat to make sure gas was moving around. There was not much in the tank, but plenty to make it run in my opinion.

THIS ENGINE IS GRAVITY OPERATED BY THE WAY. Kohler Command 13 in a Deere.

I'm at a loss at this point. It ran like a champ for 5-10 minutes last night while parked in the garage and started fine today. I was driving around the yard and then it just gave up. Assuming it is fuel related due to the filter being dry, but I don't know why gas would not be making the < 8" trip from tank to fuel filter. Fuel shutoff valve is s couple of inches "above" the filter and below the tank. But again, I don't know why it would run fine last night and NOT tonight while driving around?

Do gravity fed engines need a minimum amount of fuel to keep it flowing?

For late comers to the thread, all of the following have been replaced in the last week:
    • spark plug
    • carburetor
    • fuel filter
    • fuel shut-off valve
    • every inch of fuel hose from carb to shut-off valve
    • air filter
    • foamy air pre-filter
    • oil filter
    • ALL oil drained and brand new oil put in. Even ran some extra oil through right into the drain pan to get out any contaminants that may have been there due to it being parked for a while.
    • ALL fuel drained and about half a gallon of brand new Marathon fuel (87) put in.
    • new battery (battery reads solid 12.7+ on multimeter)
    • air in tires
    Anyone have any insights before I drop $5k on a new mower this weekend? My thought was to take off fuel tank to make sure there wasn't any skank loged in there, but I'm kind of "done" with this multi-year project.
    Don't give up too soon. Pull the fuel line at back of filter and see how much gas comes out. Myself, i dont like those automotive fuel fiters because they restrict the fuel suction at the carb being its a gravity feed system. I would guess . Either clog or not enough fuel. Does the fuel tank already have its own fuel screen?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Don't give up too soon. Pull the fuel line at back of filter and see how much gas comes out. Myself, i dont like those automotive fuel fiters because they restrict the fuel suction at the carb being its a gravity feed system. I would guess . Either clog or not enough fuel. Does the fuel tank already have its own fuel screen?
    I would be less likely to give up if it wasn't an ongoing 4-year battle. It's a PITA to have it parked in the garage and not doing anything for us, but I hear ya.

I am not familiar with the internals on the tank. Trying the mower forums right now to see if I can find anything. I found a video of a guy taking off the fuel tank on an STX38, so I may give it a go tomorrow. Too po'ed to work on it right now! :):

Real good idea @gassprint1 to disconnect hose above the filter to see if anything is even making it's way to or past the shut-off valve.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I would be less likely to give up if it wasn't an ongoing 4-year battle. It's a PITA to have it parked in the garage and not doing anything for us, but I hear ya.

I am not familiar with the internals on the tank. Trying the mower forums right now to see if I can find anything. I found a video of a guy taking off the fuel tank on an STX38, so I may give it a go tomorrow. Too po'ed to work on it right now! :):

Real good idea @gassprint1 to disconnect hose above the filter to see if anything is even making it's way to or past the shut-off valve.
    Where you located, I'm up around Plymouth type area.
    If you look where hose hooks to tank and it only has a plastic nipple, then no tank filter. If it has a black rubber grommet on bottom, then it has a small screen type in tank filter. I don't remember which kohler engines had them , but alot had block mounted pulse fuel pumps on the side near the ohv cover

Top Bottom