• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Police report (I am guessing here) would be the better bet with the next step being small claims court. re: getting vet bills paid.

We had a neighbor who's dogs would come into our yard. One rottweiler named "judge", one pitbull named "jury". My son was 4 at the time, and weighed all of 40lbs. The dogs would constantly come into our yard, chase the kids up the driveway home from school, etc.

Animal control doesn't do squat except follow up on reports. We filed 3 reports with them. After that, they told us to get photos of the dog on our property or else they couldn't do anything. This despite their dogs having bitten a coworker of my wife (who we found was tutoring one of their children) when she had entered the residence.

When I complained to the neighbors, they stated "we chain him to the tree but he always breaks loose". I replied "so you are telling me you cannot keep control of your dog?"
    "Oh no... he just breaks free all the time". I responded with "The next time I find your dogs on my property, they get shot"

Never had an issue with them again. Turns out they got an electric fence the next day.
    I did in fact thank them for making the effort to finally keep their dogs in check.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The initial post said that the dog was in the inlaws' yard. If the other dog came into their yard and attacked the yorkie, the other dog was clearly the aggressor/trespasser and the owners should be responsible for not keeping their dog in their yard and under their control. Many people have dogs that listen well enough to be taken outside without a leash while under their supervision. If the yorkie was out in the street or on public property, that might be different.

I'm sorry that your dog was injured and your holiday was spoiled by the events of the day. I'm glad that the vet was able to mend your dog and sure hope they take responsibility for the damages without having to go to court.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The initial post said that the dog was in the inlaws' yard. If the other dog came into their yard and attacked the yorkie, the other dog was clearly the aggressor/trespasser and the owners should be responsible for not keeping their dog in their yard and under their control. Many people have dogs that listen well enough to be taken outside without a leash while under their supervision. If the yorkie was out in the street or on public property, that might be different.

I'm sorry that your dog was injured and your holiday was spoiled by the events of the day. I'm glad that the vet was able to mend your dog and sure hope they take responsibility for the damages without having to go to court.

While you are right about many dogs listening well enough, there are many cities and counties that require dogs to be either leashed or in an enclosed area at all time they are outside. Even if that were the case and the yorkie was NOT on a leash, the neighbors would most likely still be liable. But then again, IANAL. I'm just going by my personal experience and how it went down when the same thing happened to me. I actually did get fined after my incident because my dog wasn't on a leash. He is very well trained and listens to commands/stays in the yard/etc, but the fact is that he was required by law to be on a leash if he was outside.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I hate idiots who own dogs. Keep a close eye on your dog and take him back to the vet if anything doesn't seem right with him. Unfortunately this happens more often than we would like to think. You're very lucky your small dog survived the attack. Just last week we had a cat in the vet clinic that was attacked by the neighbor's dogs. It had internal injuries and didn't last the afternoon. Less than a month ago a small dog was attacked. Its intestines were twisted by the shaking and it died the following day. It's heartbreaking when people lose beloved pets due to irresponsible dog owners.

I'm glad your baby is doing well. I hope it makes a speedy recovery.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Isnt it refreshing that you dont have to handle your own problems? You can sit back and let reliable ol' government organizations do the lifting. Sure is relaxing living in this great country.

This is the second snarky post I've read from you today, and you've only been a member 6 days.

I especially think the post above is inappropriate in light of a brother member asking for help in what has to be a very emotional time for him and his family.

Either get with the program or find another forum.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is the second snarky post I've read from you today, and you've only been a member 6 days.

I especially think the post above is inappropriate in light of a brother member asking for help in what has to be a very emotional time for him and his family.

Either get with the program or find another forum.

I say let that member "handle his own problems" and see how far it gets him. How dare the OP go about things the proper way to handle this issue.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Should be noted too that the attacking dog has a history. Last year it came into the house uninvited when the door was opened and charged at our dogs but we intervened and dragged it out of the house. Last summer it got a hold of one of their chickens and bit off its hind end (bird survived).

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Last night I drove to the inlaws up in Crown Point. Got here about 7:15 pm. My inlaws have a neighbor who has a husky that we know is not friendly and they never chain her up. So about 8pm, my yorkie had to go out to pee. I was walking with him and all of the sudden the husky ran up to us in my inlaws yard and grabbed my yorkie in its mouth. This husky is roughly 70 lbs and my yorkie is 6 lbs. I immediately took off after the dog screaming at it. Finally the husky let my dog go. At this point we were in the neighbors yard right at their back window. I saw all of them in there watching tv not doing anything about the situation. So I grabbed my dog and immediately went to the pet hospital. My dog had to stay there for 18 hours. Many stitches, "drains", and surgerys. Finally picked him up today around 3pm. Got him home and the poor thing is in lots of pain.

With it being Thanksgiving today, government offices (animal control) is closed. I plan on calling them tomorrow to get a report filled out. I feel like the people who own the husky should pay the vet bills. They know what happened and have not offered anything.

Has anyone been in this situation before? What should I do? Should I call the police?

Please help INGO!
    When I lived in a double my neighbors adopted a stray mutt, named james, who was as nice as could be. A few months later we had new neighbors move in next to our double and they had this mean as F*** pitbull that they leashed right outside of my basement door. The pitbull got loose one day and ran up onto our property and ripped James' ear off and then went after it's hind legs. My neighbor heard the noise and came out kicking and screaming. Eventually the pitbull ran off and she grabbed James and took him to the Vet. She called the police when she got back home but I moved out before I found out what legal implications resulted from that.

Call the police. If they make a report it's official. If you don't make a report then you have no "official" proof it ever happened.

I wish you the best of luck and hope your yorkie heals fast. I probably would have shot that other dog if it tried to attack mine given the size difference.

Isnt it refreshing that you dont have to handle your own problems? You can sit back and let reliable ol' government organizations do the lifting. Sure is relaxing living in this great country.
    :wow: Please Pi$$ off.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Okay, just my opinion, but if you put a rat sized pet on a leash, it still aint a dog. Dogs are intelligent apex predators. What you have there is prey. You may as well walk around with a sausage at the end of your leash. Not trying to be a jerk, but the animal kingdom doesn't respect your kinda dog, and they get eaten all the time. If you are gonna have a pocket pet, you better keep it in your pocket to protect it.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Okay, just my opinion, but if you put a rat sized pet on a leash, it still aint a dog. Dogs are intelligent apex predators. What you have there is prey. You may as well walk around with a sausage at the end of your leash. Not trying to be a jerk, but the animal kingdom doesn't respect your kinda dog, and they get eaten all the time. If you are gonna have a pocket pet, you better keep it in your pocket to protect it.

C'mon, man.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Should be noted too that the attacking dog has a history. Last year it came into the house uninvited when the door was opened and charged at our dogs but we intervened and dragged it out of the house. Last summer it got a hold of one of their chickens and bit off its hind end (bird survived).

That dog need to be confined when it's outside. Whether it be a leash or a fenced in yard or a kennel or whatever. A dog like that shouldn't run loose.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Comes off pretty jerky for not trying to be a jerk.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Comes off pretty jerky for not trying to be a jerk.

i could make a 1000 word essay and dance around the issue, but the reality is that it is prey, and this is what happens inevitably. I'm sorry it was attacked, but I've heard of it happening so many times that it just doesn't surprise me. One guy I know had a hawk snatch his fufu dog! Nature is cruel.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis

I understand that smaller dogs are more vulnerable to this type of thing and I agree with that. But that doesn't change the fact that the owners of the dog who did the attacking should be held accountable. Although I'm sure (at least I hope) that it's not what you're getting at, it sounds as if you're saying anyone who has a small dog that gets attacked has it coming to them. The simple fact is that you can't keep them in your pocket all the time. They have to be taken on walks and let out to pee just like any other dog.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    i could make a 1000 word essay and dance around the issue, but the reality is that it is prey, and this is what happens inevitably. I'm sorry it was attacked, but I've heard of it happening so many times that it just doesn't surprise me. One guy I know had a hawk snatch his fufu dog! Nature is cruel.

Yet my 80lb GSD/Husky mutt is trained not to and has never had an issue with small dogs, cats, chickens, children, and though she chases squirrels, doesn't hurt em. She knows the difference between a threat and a benign presence. She is not at all a fan of other dogs coming in the yard, but she knows the boundaries of what is her territory.

Comes down to training. Even if your dog is not trained to be gentle around smaller critters, it should be trained to stay in the yard. Niether of my dogs stray from our yard, regardless of what they see. They'll watch intently, but until they get the "ok go" they don't leave the yard.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Yet my 80lb GSD/Husky mutt is trained not to and has never had an issue with small dogs, cats, chickens, children, and though she chases squirrels, doesn't hurt em.

Comes down to training. Even if your dog is not trained to be gentle around smaller critters, it should be trained to stay in the yard. Niether of my dogs stray from our yard, regardless of what they see. They'll watch intently, but until they get the "ok go" they don't leave the yard.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AAAAAAARRRG SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST!!!

Top Bottom