• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    Last night I drove to the inlaws up in Crown Point. Got here about 7:15 pm. My inlaws have a neighbor who has a husky that we know is not friendly and they never chain her up. So about 8pm, my yorkie had to go out to pee. I was walking with him and all of the sudden the husky ran up to us in my inlaws yard and grabbed my yorkie in its mouth. This husky is roughly 70 lbs and my yorkie is 6 lbs. I immediately took off after the dog screaming at it. Finally the husky let my dog go. At this point we were in the neighbors yard right at their back window. I saw all of them in there watching tv not doing anything about the situation. So I grabbed my dog and immediately went to the pet hospital. My dog had to stay there for 18 hours. Many stitches, "drains", and surgerys. Finally picked him up today around 3pm. Got him home and the poor thing is in lots of pain.

With it being Thanksgiving today, government offices (animal control) is closed. I plan on calling them tomorrow to get a report filled out. I feel like the people who own the husky should pay the vet bills. They know what happened and have not offered anything.

Has anyone been in this situation before? What should I do? Should I call the police?

Please help INGO!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I would have called the police right away, but I would definitely call them and report it. Let them know that your dog had to be treated immediately or you would have contacted them sooner. The owners of that dog should be held responsible and should pay the vet bills since the attack occurred outside of their yard. Ask if they have leash laws as well...that would help your case if you have witnesses that can attest to the fact that the dog was not restrained, left its yard, initiated the attack, etc. I hope your dog is okay...if it had been me, I would have shot the neighbor dog and called the police immediately to let them know you had no choice as it was attacking your dog and you were in danger of being attacked as well. It really isn't the Husky's fault...it's the owners', but they should be held responsible. The fact that they are aware and offered no reimbursement is just sad.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    Thank you for your reply. believe me I would love nothing more than to go over there and introduce it to a .45. But like you said. The humans trained the dog.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Thank you for your reply. believe me I would love nothing more than to go over there and introduce it to a .45. But like you said. The humans trained the dog.

Or failed to. Luckily, we live in a rural area where trespassing dogs can be shot, buried and never spoken of again. I don't shoot them the first time they are on my property unless they are killing livestock or threatening us in some way, but repeat offenders tend to disappear. The one that came at me when I yelled at it to drop my guinea never left and nobody ever came looking for it.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was in this situation a couple years ago. Two GSDs got loose from their yard and ran up onto my porch while my other half and my husky/greyhound mix were out there. The GSDs each grabbed one end of my dog, and literally tried to tear him in half. Same scenario with the vet. Multiple stitches, drains, surgery (apparently they ripped his skin away from the muscle so the skin was dying). Fortunately in my case this was in the afternoon and I immediately called the police. They sent out animal control. We filed a report and the owners of the GSDs (very nice people, actually, who lived a few houses down from us) agreed to pay the vet bills after the animal control officer informed them that if I took the case to the courts I would definitely win and it would end up being more expensive for them (court costs, etc).

I would suggest calling the police and animal control just to get it on record. They may be able to convince the owners of the dog to pay the vet bill without legal action. If you can't convince them in a nice way to pay the vet bill, take them to court. I know how awful my dog looked after his attack (I won't post pics due to the fact that they are super graphic), and he's pretty good sized. Can't imagine how horrible it was for a little yorkie. Hope he feels better soon. Suggestion: be lenient on "going potty" for a while. My dog refused to leave my side when we went out to pee. He was terrified to be outside. After 3 days (yes, 3 whole days!) of not peeing at all he finally let loose about 10 gallons on my floor. And my dog never has accidents in the house....ever. Just something to think about. Your pooch may be a little too nervous to pee.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Have you called the police yet? Your property was damaged by another persons property, but the big question is can you prove it to the police or anyone else?

I would have killed the other dog with my bare hands before mine went to a hospital

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    All of the above but dont forget to instruct the neighbors that if their dog leaves their yard one more time and shows ANY signs of aggression it WILL BE DESTROYED immediately.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    The police are on their way.

Believe me if I would have got my hands on that dog, it would be dead. I was just wanting to get my dog out of there and to the vet.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Keep us posted on what they say. Good for you for calling. I would ask if they have had previous issues with that dog.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    The officer came and took my statement. Said that they were liable for the vet charges. $1200 bucks. Now lets see if they pay.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The officer came and took my statement. Said that they were liable for the vet charges. $1200 bucks. Now lets see if they pay.

The fact that you have that on record will help a lot. Hopefully you can get them to pay it without getting the courts involved.

Edit: 88GT beat me to it. She's always trying to show me up :rolleyes:

:):

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    You know if they would of just came outside and talked to me or said anything at all to me I would of been happy to pay half of the bills. But they didnt. plus my wife went to high school with these people. so it's not like we have never met them.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You know if they would of just came outside and talked to me or said anything at all to me I would of been happy to pay half of the bills. But they didnt. plus my wife went to high school with these people. so it's not like we have never met them.

That type of behavior disgusts me. Neither of my dogs are aggressive to other animals but if one of them DID ever do anything like that, you can bet I would be willing to pay for it. If my dog caused it, it's my problem

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My dog (a puny-ish 65lb black lab male that doesn't have an unprovked-aggressive bone in his body) has been attacked about a half-dozen times when my wife or I have been walking him around our damn neighborhood in the last two years. The last time was a female boxer...with my 3 year old son not 3 feet away.

And of course my dog can be laying in the front yard, off leash, and won't move a damn muscle if somebody is walking their dog on the sidewalk 10 feet away. Because he's been trained that way (bless my wife).

I'm close to buying a $50 CO2 air pistol and lighting up the next pooch that trots towards him aggressively, because the wife hasn't yet come around to them catching a 124gr JHP.

Alphamale

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Isnt it refreshing that you dont have to handle your own problems? You can sit back and let reliable ol' government organizations do the lifting. Sure is relaxing living in this great country.

bk5777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    bloomington
    If it happened on your property they are liable 100%. If you were walking the dog not on your property with a leash...they are liable. If you didn't have a leash on your dog it would mean that you didn't have 100% control of your animal. Which may have saved him from getting attacked. It's worth pursuing.

Top Bottom