• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Things like Autism I know are real because all you have to do is meet someone with the disease, I'm not as sure about ADHD as they just seem like kids with short attention spans. Of course that's all anecdotal.
    I'd also point out again the rampant abuse of those drugs in academics, I know from experience in the Purdue Engineering program that a very good portion of students 'abused' these drugs to help them study. And they are very, very helpful study aids. Like steroids are to weightlifters.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    A good test for ADHD is to put a kid in front of a video game or something else they like, if they can do it for hours on end they don't have an attention deficit problem, they have this sucks and bores me problem

This is true, but the criteria isn't carried out in a pediatricia's office, unless there are some with playstations, iPhones, iPads, movies, etc, etc in use.

Nim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Falls City Area / Clark County
    I have seen other reprots that state how the chemicals in our foods is causing many of the behavioural actions that become diagnosed as ADHD.

There are legitimate ADHD people, but the diagnosis has become a "catch all" for many cases where the doctor/teacher/parent has no real understanding and decides this is the easiest "explanation".

Lets just drug those people into submission.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Things like Autism I know are real because all you have to do is meet someone with the disease

Autism, like ADD and ADHD, is not a "disease". They are syndromes, a collection of expressed behaviors that, by nature and degree fit a defined criteria.

And you can bet that you've met someone with mild Autism at some point in your life and you had no idea that they had "the disease".

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I only wish that I was not so technologically inept,so that I could post a link in this discussion to a short presentation of a Dr. Dimitri Christakis. He makes a very good case for the idea, that overexposure of infants to the constant frenetic visual stimulation of TV programming plays a part in the behaviors labelled ADD,ADHD.
    Television is like alcohol:

Almost all of us partake on a regular basis.
    When asked, we always say that we partake less than we actually do.
    Any time that we do partake, there is something more productive that we could be doing.
    We think we can quit anytime, but few actually do.
    When you think about it, the (for the most par rationalized) benefit is pretty much outweighed by the harm it causes.
    None of us is entirely comfortable admitting how much money we spend on it in a given year.

Last edited:

indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Television is like alcohol:

Almost all of us partake on a regular basis.
    When asked, we always say that we partake less than we actually do.
    Any time that we do partake, there is something more productive that we could be doing.
    We think we can quit anytime, but few actually do.
    When you think about it, the (for the most par rationalized) benefit is pretty much outweighed by the harm it causes.
    None of us is entirely comfortable admitting how much money we spend on it in a given year.

...and if you can quit completely, as i have ( on both accounts) life becomes much more full and rich, and you wonder why you wasted SO much time, and money.
    i've been off the sauce for about 3 years, and i haven't watched television at all, except when at an other's house, for at least 5 years. it's been so long that when i do see a commercial now, i can't tell what the **** is happening on the screen. HD hurts my eyes, and most of the programming is so utterly awful these days, watching anything makes me want to vomit. from sports to comedies to "reality" tv, it's all crap, and it's making us dumber by the day.:n00b:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I don't think it's fake, but I think there are a lot of kids with ADHD Dx's due to lazy **** poor teachers.

No sir its due to **** poor parenting. And parents not being good parents and medicating thier children because they cant properly address thier kids emotions or behavior issues.

The teachers lol.......never the parents....:n00b:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't think it's fake, but I think there are a lot of kids with ADHD Dx's due to lazy **** poor teachers.

They wanted me on Ritalin as a kid, fact was I was just bored and got into trouble due to the way I learn.

I've seen a kid misdiagnosed as well. He's basically on amphetamine salts, and acts like a junkie on comedowns, or bi-polar. And I can do nothing to help.

No sir its due to **** poor parenting. And parents not being good parents and medicating thier children because they cant properly address thier kids emotions or behavior issues.

The teachers lol.......never the parents....:n00b:

I would say that both happen at times. I have observed the case of a child who did just fine at home (albeit with some creativity being put into discipline), at school, not so much. The last conventional attempt was the creative parent buying one of those double-rolls of numbered tickets like they used in the lunch line and the hyper youngster had to bring one home from school matching the one his dad had for the day or he was grounded. It worked nicely aside from the teacher apparently deciding that it was too much effort, the school insisted on drugs, and the war was on.

Top Bottom