• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    While I agree with this statement, I don't agree that it is simple.

It becomes a lot harder to rush to judgment once you've walked a few miles in their shoes.

I meant that the fact as an expression of truth is simple in principle and not subject to debate. There is no intended implication that raising children is simple. It requires a great deal of time, effort, patience, and willingness to constantly learn and adapt in order to be successful. Drugging children into a compliant stupor is not the answer, yet that is what is being sold by the demons in white coats.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I meant that the fact as an expression of truth is simple in principle and not subject to debate. There is no intended implication that raising children is simple. It requires a great deal of time, effort, patience, and willingness to constantly learn and adapt in order to be successful. Drugging children into a compliant stupor is not the answer, yet that is what is being sold by the demons in white coats.

Where do you draw the line? Where does it cross over from medicating a legitimately disabled child to drugging a child into a compliant stupor?

That is where it gets complicated for me. I completely agree with you, though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't come to firearms websites for medical opinions and I don't ask doctors how to smooth the trigger on a Sig.

Then why are you reading a thread in GENERAL POLITICAL DISCUSSION (i.e., not necessarily firearms-related) that pertains to a point at which medical opinions and politics meet? No one is forcing you to read this. If you don't like it, the DON'T READ IT!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It seems to me that we have an evil synthesis of absolute intolerance for individual personality, behavior, and thought combined with the profit motive under circumstances in which the pharmaceutical industry (and likely others) has influenced the development of a mindset in which no one is perceived to be well enough not to need medicated, or at least doesn't miss this mark by far.

Simple fact of life: Children require being raised properly, not drugged into a compliant stupor.

I would add to this the elevation of science and scientists to a sort of infallable, priest-like, stature. That combined with PC-herd-like mentality of other grant-seeking peers seemingly have reduced the outputs of science to that of a commodity. Science very rarely gets it right the first time. It is only after repeated studies/trials/experiments, the results of which are rigorously challenged and scrutinized by others can we be reasonably be assured "science" got something right. When the community doesn't do their part, we get the "ozone whole" scare, "global warming" and now, it may appear ADHD.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Where do you draw the line? Where does it cross over from medicating a legitimately disabled child to drugging a child into a compliant stupor?

That is where it gets complicated for me. I completely agree with you, though.

I would say that the starting point is rediscovering the fact that children are not and are not supposed to be standardized products. Once upon a time, it was understood that some children are going to be easily compliant, others are going to be, as they used to say 'all boy', and you are also going to find everything in between. It was also understood that not all children are going to be Rhodes Scholars and not all are going to be contend with growing up to be farmers. Significantly, this problem invaded our culture with the adoption of the Prussian model of education which first infected domestic educational thought just over a century ago largely promoted by one John Dewey (not to be confused with Thomas Dewey who ran against Truman). The foundation of this thought rested on the notion that the schools should produce the people that the society was deemed to need--much like the Christmas special with the young elf who wanted to be a dentist whose dad told him that elves make toys, I don't care what you want to do, end of discussion. This way of though extends to the notion that children can and should be made into standardized products, which is exactly what overmedication is used to do. During the time he served in the Army, Elvis Presley did not sing. He simply soldiered. He made the prescient observation that the Army did not want individuals. He was absolutely correct and that same principle now applies quite well to public education, which we may recall the schools have been a driving force in declaring children 'ill', and medicating them for both convenience of not having to use traditional methods of discipline in addition to receiving additional federal funding for them. I understand that parents are similarly given some bribes (although when the school labeled my youngest brother LD, my dad was perceptive enough to use that as a club with which to beat the school since, as most parents fail to notice, it changes the legal relationship dramatically) for complying with the system.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    As the mother of an autistic child, I can tell you the disease is VERY real. There are no meds for autism. There are meds for some of the symptoms and/or side effects of the disease (depression, inability to concentrate, tremors), but there is nothing that treats or helps with autism itself. Their brains are different. Even on an EEG, the brain of an autistic does not respond like that of a non-autistic.

I personally do not have my son on meds, but I can fully understand why others do. There are days it is too much - for both me and him. When your 19 year old hands you a 2nd grade reading book in tears and asks "Why can't I do it?" - then you decided what is real and what isn't.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As the mother of an autistic child, I can tell you the disease is VERY real. There are no meds for autism. There are meds for some of the symptoms and/or side effects of the disease (depression, inability to concentrate, tremors), but there is nothing that treats or helps with autism itself. Their brains are different. Even on an EEG, the brain of an autistic does not respond like that of a non-autistic.

I personally do not have my son on meds, but I can fully understand why others do. There are days it is too much - for both me and him. When your 19 year old hands you a 2nd grade reading book in tears and asks "Why can't I do it?" - then you decided what is real and what isn't.

All true. The point is that there is a huge difference between applying meds to those who need it and medicating any child who does not behave like a statue of his own accord. Having had limited contact over time with an autistic cousin, it defies my understanding what it must be like to live with it every day. Medicating to alleviate the problems from an actual illness is one thing, but again, medicating to make children act like statuary is not acceptable.

Not universal, but it has been known to happen. Right back to that expectation that children should act like statuary or be medicated. The best of teachers cannot overcome a genuine illness on talent, but any jackleg can start the ball rolling to dope up any kid who introduces a requirement for actual effort in classroom management.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    All true. The point is that there is a huge difference between applying meds to those who need it and medicating any child who does not behave like a statue of his own accord. Having had limited contact over time with an autistic cousin, it defies my understanding what it must be like to live with it every day. Medicating to alleviate the problems from an actual illness is one thing, but again, medicating to make children act like statuary is not acceptable.

I agree completely. I think public schools are the main reason for this over-diagnosis. Every child learns differently. I don't believe for a moment that God designed little boys to sit still in a classroom all day like a good little slave and listen to some middle aged woman drone on. It is no wonder that the little girls succeed in this environment while the boys get medicated.

The impulsivity and lack of focus of a child with real ADHD is quite different than that, and the two are often confused and shouldn't be.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Then why are you reading a thread in GENERAL POLITICAL DISCUSSION (i.e., not necessarily firearms-related) that pertains to a point at which medical opinions and politics meet? No one is forcing you to read this. If you don't like it, the DON'T READ IT!

Thank you for your advice. I'll be sure to take it under consideration.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    ADHD, "Bi-polar" disorder, and a host of other nonsense, were invented by liberals to explain away behavior that comes from lack of discipline as a child. In a much better day in our country's history, such "disorders" were cured damn fast with a strap across one's backside. Today, we feed the medical community with countless $$$ and coddle unacceptable behavior in the name of liberal correctness. We're doing this to ourselves, folks.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You do understand what I was saying there right? That the teachers can't handle the kids and get them titled and into special ed (for extra funds and to give themselves a break).

It's true, whether your thumb agrees or not. My doctor was not the one pushing for ADHD meds, it was the school. Don't bother trying to learn to teach the kids, drug them so that they can be content in my boring classroom.

Top Bottom