• Status
    Not open for further replies.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Very familiar. Does it matter the color?

Statement was way uncool.

Thanks for playing

You obviously haven't been around long enough to know that that was bound to happen. Laugh or don't, and move along.

And yes color does matter. Purple is used to imply sarcasm.
    Thanks for playing INGO

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    FNC just reran the sheriff at the press conference saying the shooter's online social media is disturbing. This loon slipped through cracks that should not have been.

The libs will keep news media (even the good ones) talking gun control instead of the real problems.

The Stig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Eastern Greene
    You obviously haven't been around long enough to know that that was bound to happen. Laugh or don't, and move along.

And yes color does matter. Purple is used to imply sarcasm.
    Thanks for playing INGO[/QUOTE

I've read this forum almost daily since Feb '11. I am very familiar with many of the posting tendencies by many.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You're right. Most things are merely an illusion of safety. Does France have anything even akin to these sorts of situations happen anywhere nearly as often?

I don't think there's been a single student shot and killed in a school in France.
    We don't even have a word for "active shooter".

There was an incident last year with apparently 3 people wounded in a school shooting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-in-french-town-of-grasse-sparks-terror-alert

I think the closest thing to a school shooting before that was 10 years ago where a student shot a blank gun in front of a school, nobody injured.

Schools are "gun free zones" in France but so is the rest of the country, so if you want to kill a bunch of people with guns you just do it in the streets (like the 2015 Paris attack with 130 people killed and many more wounded).

Guns are more restricted here but I don't think that's why we never have things like that happening.
    Plenty of people have guns at home.
    There was one case where a French student took a handgun (legally owned by his dad) at school to show his friends, but he didn't shoot anyone.

In some countries with even tighter gun laws they have a lot of mass stabbings in schools (like in China).
    Hundreds of people have been killed in Chinese schools where the killer used knives (usually with a higher number of death compared to shootings in the states).

It's easy to get knives in France yet those acts of violence don't happen.

Maybe it's due to our health care system and how easy is it for people with mental problems to get help.
    We are known to have one of the best in the world.

I just don't know that it's too easy to blame the gun.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I know CM asked everyone to cool it, but considering what is posted in the very second message in this thread, people are bound to read and react to it without reading further down. So I wouldn’t expect things to calm down entirely as long as that post is sitting there number two. It’s very provocative right there at the top of a highly visible thread.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Please.
    No "shooters" in this thread.

Xp2PO69.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nothing will be done.

After a school shooting: Mental health needs to be addressed.

a few days later: They'll just use it to declare everyone mentally ill and disarm us without due process.

Nothing will change with the mentally ill and how we deal with them.
    Nothing will be done about the media giving free fame to these a-holes.
    Everyone will continue to believe, deep down inside, that it will always happen somewhere else and it'll be someone else's problem.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What's the worst that could happen ? **** that noise , hold my beer !

The "worst" is that I lose another viewpoint to listen to.
    Most of the INGO shooters may have driven me nuts, but it was a different view. A different argument. A different way of looking at things. A way to hone arguments.
    So when someone gets shooter'd, we'll I feel I've also lost something.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Nothing will be done.

After a school shooting: Mental health needs to be addressed.

a few days later: They'll just use it to declare everyone mentally ill and disarm us without due process.

Nothing will change with the mentally ill and how we deal with them.
    Nothing will be done about the media giving free fame to these a-holes.
    Everyone will continue to believe, deep down inside, that it will always happen somewhere else and it'll be someone else's problem.

You have a way of boiling things down. Do you think enough retired LEOs and ex-military would be interested in providing security to make it a viable option for schools? What are the other obstacles to doing this?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I don't think there's been a single student shot and killed in a school in France.
    We don't even have a word for "active shooter".

There was an incident last year with apparently 3 people wounded in a school shooting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-in-french-town-of-grasse-sparks-terror-alert

I think the closest thing to a school shooting before that was 10 years ago where a student shot a blank gun in front of a school, nobody injured.

Schools are "gun free zones" in France but so is the rest of the country, so if you want to kill a bunch of people with guns you just do it in the streets (like the 2015 Paris attack with 130 people killed and many more wounded).

Guns are more restricted here but I don't think that's why we never have things like that happening.
    Plenty of people have guns at home.
    There was one case where a French student took a handgun (legally owned by his dad) at school to show his friends, but he didn't shoot anyone.

In some countries with even tighter gun laws they have a lot of mass stabbings in schools (like in China).
    Hundreds of people have been killed in Chinese schools where the killer used knives (usually with a higher number of death compared to shootings in the states).

It's easy to get knives in France yet those acts of violence don't happen.

Maybe it's due to our health care system and how easy is it for people with mental problems to get help.
    We are known to have one of the best in the world.

I just don't know that it's too easy to blame the gun.

I knew the gun laws were much stricter in France. Due to the way that anti-gunners tend to look toward Europe, in general, when talking about gun control, I wondered if there were any mass school attacks or not. That's usually their rationale - They don't have guns, and they don't have school shootings. So, if we outlaw guns, we won't have school shootings.

I'm sure it probably has more to do with the health care than the gun situation. It is so much better than ours. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, there also isn't a stigma attached to seeking mental health care, is there? In the States, it seems like if someone even mentions talking to a counselor or therapist, there's immediately a negative stereotype associated with that person. He's "psycho" or "crazy." I've had friends who either wouldn't seek help because of this or, at the very least, wouldn't say they visited one for some time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom