• Status
    Not open for further replies.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I could be wrong but I would imagine that the number of school shootings caused by outsiders is pretty low compared to the number of mass murders where the killer is also a student from the highschool or university.

If the killer was a former student he probably still had friends in that school.

That's my thinking, too. He had help from friends. I'm sure we'll get reports of what he browsed on the net and who/what he texted.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, basically, there is no answer in deterring this without extra expenses. Metal detectors and roving armed guards will cost. But isn't that cost worth in saving lives? I know there will always be evil in this world. But there has to be a way to push against the evils of this world.

We spent billions in military but we can't even protect our own.

About metal detectors.

They create choke points.
    Shooter then shoots people in line.

Who is running detector?
    Someone unarmed?
    Shoot him, move in to crowd.

Arm detector operator.
    He pays attention to people going thru.
    Person back 15 people shoots him.

Detector give false positives.
    People start to ignore it, or calibrate it less sensitive.
    This one I've seen the most.
    How many people pay attention to car alarms anymore because of so many set up wrong, or accidentally triggered?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    If I read/heard correctly he was 20 years old..??
    Some one somewhere knew he was a full bubble off. I am sorry to keep beating this horse but every freaking time people knew. My heart is sick for the lost and the injured. I can not even know the pain they are experiencing. Lives are forever changed. 1 sick POS has altered so much for so many by this 1 insidious act. Killing him will change nothing. Beating him to a bloody pulp will change nothing but I am sure many feel the need right now.

I read 19, but, either way, older than high school age by a little bit.

People have become too apathetic in today's world. If it doesn't directly hurt them or do something for them, they don't give a :poop:! And no one wants to do anything to do anything. They always assume someone will do it for them. Or, in the case of the school, afraid they'll get sued for doing anything proactive.

You're right. Nothing could have made or could make this situation better other than it never having happened, but, obviously, that's not possible.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's my thinking, too. He had help from friends. I'm sure we'll get reports of what he browsed on the net and who/what he texted.

You can't have 100% security no matter how secure the school is as students still need to get access to the school and go in and out by themselves.
    In some schools the staff and students have key cards to access the main door but of course that won't stop a student from hurting his fellow classmates.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I opened a can of worms on FB as I'm sure I'll get called all sorts of names...but I'm tired of the 'I must disarm as I enter my daughter's school'....and had to vent.

Prayers for all involved.

I'm sure you did open a can of worms.
    It gets tiring.
    BUT, people have to hear our arguments.
    So, it's worth it.
    And for every one that won't listen to counter arguments, there's some that will listen to what you say.
    To help those listening, try to refrain from insults and name calling.
    Use facts you can find.
    I've saved links to a few good INGO arguments just so I can use the info later.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Something sounds off to me. Not like conspiracy off, but just off.

The school had a fire drill earlier in the day. Then, the alarm went off again close to dismissal time. They are reporting that the shooting started outside and then went inside. That would imply to me that the suspect did not pull the alarm.

When I was in school all fire drills were announced at the beginning of the day, not exact time though. So for 2 to go off in one day would be strange.

An article I just came across said that a teacher was concerned the 2nd alarm was a trap and immediately locked her room down.

They said there was no evidence of another shooter, but that's an awful big coincidence for there to only be one kid involved. Again not conspiracy, just something isn't adding up.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I don’t know if I’d expect enough teachers, especially younger ones, to get into the security game. By the time they make it to the classroom, they’re so indoctrinated with liberalism that they probably have never touched a gun in their lives, and never would want to.

As always, it’s people, not the guns.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    You can't have 100% security no matter how secure the school is as students still need to get access to the school and go in and out by themselves.
    In some schools the staff and students have key cards to access the main door but of course that won't stop a student from hurting his fellow classmates.

You're right. Most things are merely an illusion of safety. Does France have anything even akin to these sorts of situations happen anywhere nearly as often?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    [video=youtube;n-jL5VBXEtY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-jL5VBXEtY[/video]

Of course.
    Make guns illegal so no one can get them.
    It's worked so well with drugs.
    After all, guns can go across State borders.
    But country borders, we'll that's different.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    About metal detectors.

They create choke points.
    Shooter then shoots people in line.

Who is running detector?
    Someone unarmed?
    Shoot him, move in to crowd.

Arm detector operator.
    He pays attention to people going thru.
    Person back 15 people shoots him.

Detector give false positives.
    People start to ignore it, or calibrate it less sensitive.
    This one I've seen the most.
    How many people pay attention to car alarms anymore because of so many set up wrong, or accidentally triggered?

:+1:

Metal detectors only work if you have a bunch of armed guards around to stop an attack.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The media needs to stop sensationalizing these killers and giving them all this free media attention and turning them into hero's for other wackos.

I think that's a big part of it.

There was a big raise in teen suicides.
    They decided to stop blowing up the airwaves about it.
    They reported it. But they didn't go on and on about it.

Suicides decreased.

Does that mean it was the cause.
    No. But it's a good indicator.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

The school had a fire drill earlier in the day. Then, the alarm went off again close to dismissal time. They are reporting that the shooting started outside and then went inside. That would imply to me that the suspect did not pull the alarm.

When I was in school all fire drills were announced at the beginning of the day, not exact time though. So for 2 to go off in one day would be strange.

An article I just came across said that a teacher was concerned the 2nd alarm was a trap and immediately locked her room down.

They said there was no evidence of another shooter, but that's an awful big coincidence for there to only be one kid involved. Again not conspiracy, just something isn't adding up.

I agree. He had help. Hopefully they have security footage of his accomplice pulling the alarm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Close to time to go home. He may have been posted up for that event. Everyone leaving but the alarm was an opportunity. Maybe some idiot student dropped the alarm as a haha. All speculation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom