• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This is a link to an Instagram video posted by a student inside the school during the shooting. It doesn't show anyone getting shot, but you can hear the shots and the kids screaming:

https://streamable.com/0m10c

I posted a link instead of embedding the video because the "F" word is present.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We spend multi-millions for football stadiums and gymnasiums too, not to mention 10's if not 100's of thousands on buses that run empty or nearly so from what I can see. I live near a grade school and I watch the buses coming and going. Many with 2 or 3 kids in each, but followed by a steady stream of mini-vans and SUVs. Seems like an awfully good place to trim the budget to protect the kids.

I see to it my 11 year old G-daughter is delivered safely to school. Her dad works and her little sisters keeps mom at home. I enjoy my mornings with her anyway. No way she is riding a school bus with any of the half butt drivers I see rolling the streets.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I'm curious how many of you have been in a school recently? I keep seeing people say it needs to be more difficult to get into schools. I'm a courier and deliver to schools fairly often. At every school, there is only one door you can go into, you must ring a video-equipped doorbell, and be buzzed in. From there, it differs as to how secure they are. Some you go right up to a front desk. Some you have to go into an office. One elementary school I delivered to the other day had a full glass window with a smaller sliding window to pass small things through (think a drive up teller window). I'm not sure how much more secure they can be. It's actually easier to access the main areas of prisons. Also, at most if not all, there is a Sheriff or Police Officer at the school. S/he is not at the front door, usually, though sometimes, but there is always a cruiser there. I'm not saying anyone calling for more secure schools is wrong. I just don't know what more could be done short of fences/walls and guard towers, as was already mentioned in this thread.

Also, I haven't seen it noted more than the shooter was a "troubled kid," but the shooter was a known problem. The teachers were warned not to let him on the school's campus with a backpack because he had threatened other students last year.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Aw geez.......here we go again.[/QUOTE

The anti-gunners and media will be on a roll with this one. I wonder how much will come out about the shooter having a history of threatening behavior, yet nothing was ever done by the administration?

Prayers sent for the families of those killed and the speedy recovery of those injured.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm curious how many of you have been in a school recently? I keep seeing people say it needs to be more difficult to get into schools. I'm a courier and deliver to schools fairly often. At every school, there is only one door you can go into, you must ring a video-equipped doorbell, and be buzzed in. From there, it differs as to how secure they are. Some you go right up to a front desk. Some you have to go into an office. One elementary school I delivered to the other day had a full glass window with a smaller sliding window to pass small things through (think a drive up teller window). I'm not sure how much more secure they can be. It's actually easier to access the main areas of prisons. Also, at most if not all, there is a Sheriff or Police Officer at the school. S/he is not at the front door, usually, though sometimes, but there is always a cruiser there. I'm not saying anyone calling for more secure schools is wrong. I just don't know what more could be done short of fences/walls and guard towers, as was already mentioned in this thread.

Also, I haven't seen it noted more than the shooter was a "troubled kid," but the shooter was a known problem. The teachers were warned not to let him on the school's campus with a backpack because he had threatened other students last year.

All those things are useless when the shooter is part of the school anyway.
    Those measures are just in place to keep outsiders out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Again.....some more........He was a known whacko. What of the parents. Seriously. And he was (apparently) smart enough to get the kids outside. Had to be hell bent on causing pain. Who did not make a phone call on this guy and would there be anybody to even listen/respond.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Atleast this fool didn't off himself like all the other cowards. Maybe they'll be able to get some kind of motive from him. After that they could take him out back for all I care.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    All those things are useless when the shooter is part of the school anyway.
    Those measures are just in place to keep outsiders out.

True, but this kid was no longer, at least from my understanding (if he wasn't allowed on campus, he wasn't part of the school), part of the school. Maybe he had a friend who let him in or had a friend pull the alarm which let him gain access when everyone was going out. Unless, I'm missing something in the reports.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    True, but this kid was no longer, at least from my understanding (if he wasn't allowed on campus, he wasn't part of the school), part of the school. Maybe he had a friend who let him in or had a friend pull the alarm which let him gain access when everyone was going out. Unless, I'm missing something in the reports.

Article I just read said that he was expelled "for unspecified disciplinary reasons".

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Again.....some more........He was a known whacko. What of the parents. Seriously. And he was (apparently) smart enough to get the kids outside. Had to be hell bent on causing pain. Who did not make a phone call on this guy and would there be anybody to even listen/respond.

A-freaking-men!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thank you for that phrase. I've been a little stuck after the "get rid of all laws" line from more than one knucklehead. This may help penetrate their thick skulls.

:)
    If you need, I can find a link explaining them.
    It is a good tool to have, one I think I learned on INGO.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The updated report has the shooter starting out inside, very sad. I can see where an armed teacher may do some good, but I think the cost of properly training maintaining armed teachers would be more expensive than a resource officer. I also cannot imagine who or how a school would be able to carry insurance once it allowed teachers to carry.

Many training companies have offered free training for teachers and resource officers.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I could be wrong but I would imagine that the number of school shootings caused by outsiders is pretty low compared to the number of mass murders where the killer is also a student from the highschool or university.

If the killer was a former student he probably still had friends in that school.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

If I read/heard correctly he was 20 years old..??
    Some one somewhere knew he was a full bubble off. I am sorry to keep beating this horse but every freaking time people knew. My heart is sick for the lost and the injured. I can not even know the pain they are experiencing. Lives are forever changed. 1 sick POS has altered so much for so many by this 1 insidious act. Killing him will change nothing. Beating him to a bloody pulp will change nothing but I am sure many feel the need right now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom