Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    After booking the room he found out that because of Chicago's draconian gun laws it would be illegal for him to bring his collection into the city.

Cool your jets, Sarah Brady. If laws had anything to do with it, more likely it was airline regulations and being discovered that way. Assuming he could get to Chicago with the guns (drive), I see no law that would have done anything to stop him from getting them into the hotel room.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I'm not sure you can say that. It might be true, it might not be true... I think at this point it is unknown, or at least unpublished to the public. I've read his first purchase (I'm assuming this means purchase via a 4473) was in 1982. I've read that 33 of his purchases were within the past year, again I'm assuming this is due to direct, purchased new from a gun store, with a 4473 and background check.

I've not read anything (if you have, please point me) that authorities have any idea when the other 13 were purchased. He could have, for an extreme example, bought all of them just the day before the shooting from a private individual without a 4473. I'm not saying that happened, just illustrating that we don't know when...
    They said early 80s. 12 or however many over a 25 year period is not a **** in the ocean.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Are you implying what I think you’re implying?

NO ONE believes Someone as EVIL and CRAZY would worry about what the city of chicago's gun laws were???????

Cool your jets, Sarah Brady. If laws had anything to do with it, more likely it was airline regulations and being discovered that way. Assuming he could get to Chicago with the guns (drive), I see no law that would have done anything to stop him from getting them into the hotel room.

I think there was a color implied.

(Not to bring race into this.)

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    NO ONE believes Someone as EVIL and CRAZY would worry about what the city of chicago's gun laws were???????

Wow, easy fellows. I think that was tongue-in-cheek.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Really.
    Who cares how many guns he had.
    Was he going to shoot 40 guns at one time?

I keep running into that and the complainers are beside themselves. Once I point out that he only has two hands so more than two is not more powerful like increasing the amount of explosives, they tend to calm down a little bit.

I seriously doubt he was trying to blow up the Jet fuel tanks. The report I read said that there were two bullet strikes to the tanks and I haven't seen anything about tracer, incendiary, or anything bigger than 308.

The dude had a ton of money, if that was his plan there are calibers and rounds which could potentially actually do it. Heck, it wasn't even like he dumped an ar10 mag into one of them.

These idiots are not always too bright. Many times they assume based on what they have seen on TV is reality. I'll assume he figured if he would shoot it a spark would start a fire at least, if not make it explode like shooting a propane cylinder.

The stock that Akins submitted for BATFE evaluation didn't have a spring in it. BATFE said it's A-ok. The problem arose when Akins added the spring to the production models of the stocks. Which is not ok and is why the BATFE smacked him so hard. They were never legal with the spring. Buyer lists were obtained and notice sent to the owners stating they needed to remove and mail in the spring to BATFE or face consequences. A friend had one so this is why I know the details.

The slide-fire stock determination used exactly the same mechanical reasoning as the spring-less stock that Akins submitted. BATFE was simply being consistent when they evaluated the slide-fire stock. The initial Akins ruling of spring-less being A-ok was pre-Obama.

And what was to stop them from measuring the spring before returning it, and then replace it later? Your tax dollars in action. Brilliant.

After booking the room he found out that because of Chicago's draconian gun laws it would be illegal for him to bring his collection into the city.

Thats not how it works?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    These idiots are not always too bright. Many times they assume based on what they have seen on TV is reality. I'll assume he figured if he would shoot it a spark would start a fire at least, if not make it explode like shooting a propane cylinder.

Based on his extensive preparation, I'm not going to call this guy "not...bright." He put in a lot of work in planning. I'm more inclined to believe the rounds found on the tanks were "fliers," rather than an intentional attempt to blow up the tanks.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    SF author John Ringo has made some interesting connections in FLEA and the military over the years. Here's what he's hearing about it from his peeps:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/john-ringo/a-theory-on-las-vegas/10155111388257055/

I am in contact with people currently doing official deep dives into motivation. Choose the category or concept. Every one keeps turning up null value. No politics. No religion. Gambling was a hobby and no real change. No serious losses. Right in frame of years.He'd previously attended concerts (regular in Vegas) and got a pop up ad for this one. Only point of reference found. (When I wrote deep dive I meant deep.)
    Single item is the guy constantly erased/shredded past emails writings. Some recent language changes potentially indicative of neurological change. But there is not a single common motivation found so far. Null values.
    If that changes it changes. But so far everything is zero. Experts (real ones you'll never see on tv) are baffled. They're hoping something pops on autopsy. This sort of looks like Texas bell tower but chose a target rich environment. TBT was caused by a brain tumor and he tried to get help. This guy just went from fairly mundane to cold blooded killer with, thus far, no warning or motivation.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    HoughMade;7258 If laws had anything to do with it said:
    EVIL and CRAZY Multi-Millionaire could have figured out how to transport them. He flew enough that TSA and bringing 23 weapons would never "fly".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Based on his extensive preparation, I'm not going to call this guy "not...bright." He put in a lot of work in planning. I'm more inclined to believe the rounds found on the tanks were "fliers," rather than an intentional attempt to blow up the tanks.

They think otherwise.

EDIT: And you can be all kinds of creative and still get one part of the plan wrong due to a misunderstanding of how something works.

webSHOOT_targets_Oct5-17_copy_new.jpg

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    They think otherwise.

EDIT: And you can be all kinds of creative and still get one part of the plan wrong due to a misunderstanding of how something works.

webSHOOT_targets_Oct5-17_copy_new.jpg

A car with a trunk full of tannerite optimally positioned (prehaps teh lot across the street from the tanks?) might have a chance at igniting the fuel after the tanks were punctured and fumes permeated the air. Perhaps the purpose or an additional purpose of the .308 bolt-action he is reported to have had with him by some sources.

ETA: I believe the tannerite and additional ammo in the car might have had a purpose, possibly aborted, in his plan. At least a "boom" and burn-off of ammo to either further terrorize, or more likely, re-direct the fleeing back into his zone of fire. Or, additionally, an ignition source.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm assuming you're responding to my post, since I had numbers in it... It's not how many he had, per se, it's when he started acquiring the weapons he used to carry out his attack. Assume his brother was correct and truthful for a minute, that prior to some time last year Paddock did not own a "gun enthusiast" level of firearms but only owned a "few guns", say a couple handguns, two shotguns and a squirrel/deer rifle. Then, at some point last year, he started buying ARs and bump-stocks, one at a time, including every single one of the twelve he had with him in the hotel room.

I would say that you start looking at what was going on with him immediately prior to his "shift" in firearm ownership patterns, when looking for motive.

I was not replying to you, that's why I didn't quote you.
    The news was all freaked out about his arsenal.
    They just kept coming back to it.

Top Bottom