Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    On this one, having heard the gunfire in social media videos, I'll cut them a break.

I've been around guns all my life, including a couple occasions to hear full auto. If I were in the vicinity and heard what's on those vids, I'd first think bump-fire, but wouldn't rule out full auto.

Keep in mind, there are resources available to DIY an AR in to FA (even though it wouldn't be as fast as a 'natural' FA).
    They don't deserve a break and they won't get one from me. Whether or not you think the rate of fire was too slow to be FA (and they vary), it absolutely wasn't semi auto, which is what the media--and some pols--claim are "military-grade automatic weapons"

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    And he keeps them in Montana... Where it's safe.

If you are referring to Tom Brokaw, I think he is on record of saying he grew up around guns (in South Dakota) but he has disposed of his. Of course, living in NYC, there's not much chance of most people legally owning any firearms. And He may or may not have any at his Montana ranch.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just heard a reporter on ABC say that the bullets in his clips were specially designed to ricochet inside of the bidies and do the maximum damage. WTF?
    NBC said he had bullets that, with one bullet, could shoot through the entire crowd.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If the suspect had been black you think they would not have reported his skin color?
    Would you have been equally offended if they did?

I think they would not have reported his skin color as black, unless they are the victim.

I am not as much offended as disappointed in media in general. They just want to divide our country. We all bleed red blood. Color of the shooter don't really matter to the moms and dads who will be burying their children. I just think of all the people who have had their lives turned upside down. Sad.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Instrument-rated single engine pilot.
    "owned" two aircraft.
    Accountant.
    Had a home in Viera senior community (near Melbourne Florida) before incident.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I just got back from Vegas, just had lunch at Johnny Rockets in Mandalay Bay and had just walked through that area where the concert was. Prayers for the familys.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    CNN just reported suspect as a "64 year old white man".......does the color of his skin really matter? Oh that's right....they have an agenda.

and if it was a person of middle eastern descent, you would've jumped all over that bandwagon. can't have it both ways.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They don't deserve a break and they won't get one from me. Whether or not you think the rate of fire was too slow to be FA (and they vary), it absolutely wasn't semi auto, which is what the media--and some pols--claim are "military-grade automatic weapons"
    I'm sorry, man, but I'm not tracking you. Even though I want to. :)

Yes, the media often gets wrong the difference between semi-auto and full-auto. In this incident, I haven't heard them say conclusively semi-auto or full-auto, at least not in print/internet articles. For instance, the BBC is using the phrase "appeared to be prolonged automatic gunfire." I agree with that. It does appear from the videos to be that. It may not be (bumpfire, gat-clack doohickey, really fast trigger finger). But, the reporting appears on point.

If the goal is to crucify they media for past mistakes, that's cool. But this - right now- does not appear to be incorrect reporting.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    and if it was a person of middle eastern descent, you would've jumped all over that bandwagon. can't have it both ways.

Well that would be news worthy in my opinion. That would be a terrorist. That would be important.

Can you blame me for being skeptical? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondlRwq3Zvc

Truth be known...CNN is so hoping the shooter has no hair! In fact, if he has hair...they may remove it.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you are referring to Tom Brokaw, I think he is on record of saying he grew up around guns (in South Dakota) but he has disposed of his. Of course, living in NYC, there's not much chance of most people legally owning any firearms. And He may or may not have any at his Montana ranch.
    Yes, Brokaw. He said he has a closet full in Montana, "but "citizens" shouldn't have these kind of weapons, blah, blah, blah".

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well that would be news worthy in my opinion. That would be a terrorist. That would be important.

So a white dude can't be a terrorist???
    You know there is such a thing as "domestic terrorism", where white US born nationals are the terrorists.Right?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    On this one, having heard the gunfire in social media videos, I'll cut them a break.

I've been around guns all my life, including a couple occasions to hear full auto. If I were in the vicinity and heard what's on those vids, I'd first think bump-fire, but wouldn't rule out full auto.

Keep in mind, there are resources available to DIY an AR in to FA (even though it wouldn't be as fast as a 'natural' FA).

Yeah, I'd read this theory on a FB post just awhile ago...homemade FA.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    CNN just reported suspect as a "64 year old white man".......does the color of his skin really matter? Oh that's right....they have an agenda.

If they didn't, there would already be claims he was Muslim or black and this was a cover up because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Don't believe me? Check out the comments on heavy.com.

The tone of this, at least on INGO, will be completely different. Now who the shooter is won't matter, it'll be about the resulting calls for gun control. If he was Muslim, it would very much be about the shooter.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Prayers to all involved
    The only way to counter fire like that is suppressive fire. ID source of fire lay suppressive fire then have Designated Marksman or Sniper if you have one available engage or engage with guns M2,M240.

From sound clips I think it sounds like an RPK to me I have the unfortunate experience of being on the receiving end of them several times RPK's have a slow rate of fire. It would explain the casualties by using "grazing fire" the cone of fire would just about perfect from that angle. Most bullets would have impacted at 2 meters height or less.

I didn't intend this to sound cold.

Great job by LEO how they I'd the room so quick is amazing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Can you blame me for being skeptical? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondlRwq3Zvc

Truth be known...CNN is so hoping the shooter has no hair! In fact, if he has hair...they may remove it.

And if it was shooting at a church in Tennessee, where the shooter was first reported as African-American, then black, then Sudanese... and the victims were said to be from "predominantly white congregation?" Still newsworthy information?

Top Bottom