Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Washington Examiner, and Times of Israel, are both making an odd journalistic decision to run a story sourced to the Daily Mirror, based on Twitter a photo of the shooter.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There's just no good way to defend yourself in that situation.

Up to 500m? Well, my handgun is useless. If I tried to return fire I'd probably hit a random innocent myself, I certainly can't make a pistol round count reliably beyond a few meters. Even if a trained rifleman were present and nominally equipped...500m with a patrol rifle? Man, that takes skill, training, and a steady nerve. One or two degrees off at 500m could send a round into a different hotel room.

Find cover if you can, I guess...running seems futile. I can only imagine the stampede. Is running over open ground is any better an option than standing still with hundreds of rounds raining down on your position?

What if you were in the next room when the shooting started...is there anything you could do beyond report your info to the authorities? I don't think I could knock a hotel door down to get access to the shooter (assuming I had the balls to even try)...empty a magazine blind through the door? I guess it's possible that action might save lives...maybe.

This is terrorism. I don't care what the ideology of the shooter was. The net effect is to create unnecessary fear among good people. How do we protect ourselves from this?

Hotel rooms are quite easy to open from the outside in the US.
    The fire code makes it mandatory for the dead bolt to unlock when you pull the door handle down.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Tom BrokeJaw already doing his "civilians don't NEED these military grade weapons" schtick. Color me surprised. :rolleyes:
    Given that tom blow-chow spoke English for a living, you'd think he could comprehend the difference between FULL-auto and SEMI-auto. Of course, accurate journalism would interfere with his agenda of public disarmament.

Speaking of gun laws&bans, it will be hard to make a case for being able to make the law "tougher" for buying full auto weapons; but since when do laws stop people intent on committing murder? I think it's far more likely that his rifle was 'latin American-civil war surplus' smuggled into the country by the cartels, than a legally owned weapon

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Police say the Las Vegas shooting suspect died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound; he was found with 10 rifles

Angry, white, gun toting, Bible thumper........who was most likely a Trump supporter.

I know it's sometimes the way everyone wants to go with these things, but can we please detatch politics from this thread?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Based on the audio alone, I am guessing it was a semi-auto rifle equipped with a "GatCrank".

That was my guess also. Rate of fire is way too slow for full auto. And the amount of ammo between breaks suggests not belt-fed, but 100rd or 60rd mags. Probably not the 100rd Surefires as they aren't very reliable, but who knows, maybe the BG got "lucky" and his 100-rd mags functioned fully.

Could even be 60rd mags (magpul or Surefire). The echo off the hotel makes it sound like there is both more shots and more frequent than likely is actually occurring.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Angry, white, gun toting, Bible thumper........who was most likely a Trump supporter.

Who shoots up a concert full of angry, white, gun toting, Bible thumpers........who were most likely Trump supporters. I mean, it was a country music concert.:dunno:

Applying rational motives to the irrational is so damn frustrating.:rolleyes:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    CNN just reported suspect as a "64 year old white man".......does the color of his skin really matter? Oh that's right....they have an agenda.

If the suspect had been black you think they would not have reported his skin color?
    Would you have been equally offended if they did?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Given that tom blow-chow spoke English for a living, you'd think he could comprehend the difference between FULL-auto and SEMI-auto.
    On this one, having heard the gunfire in social media videos, I'll cut them a break.

I've been around guns all my life, including a couple occasions to hear full auto. If I were in the vicinity and heard what's on those vids, I'd first think bump-fire, but wouldn't rule out full auto.

Keep in mind, there are resources available to DIY an AR in to FA (even though it wouldn't be as fast as a 'natural' FA).

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Who shoots up a concert full of angry, white, gun toting, Bible thumpers........who were most likely Trump supporters. I mean, it was a country music concert.:dunno:

Applying rational motives to the irrational is so damn frustrating.:rolleyes:

Shhhhh...........don't tell CNN, you will ruin the day for them.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have heard it thrown around that the POS was shooting for about 5 minutes. That's an eternity if you are on the receiving end. But it's incredibly fast work by LEOs to narrow it down to that particular room, blow the door and kill the SOB.

Maybe TOO good to be true? Paging ATM...ATM, please pick up the white courtesy telephone.

Top Bottom