• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    So we can blame Reagan? the hole in the "ozone layer" (air quotes for you Austin Powers fans) was a chimney that let out the excess heat and allowed the earth to regulate its temperature. Since Reagan closed it, now it's getting hotter...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So we can blame Reagan? the hole in the "ozone layer" (air quotes for you Austin Powers fans) was a chimney that let out the excess heat and allowed the earth to regulate its temperature. Since Reagan closed it, now it's getting hotter...

Those evil Republicans just never stop...... The closed the hole to make it hotter so the Koch brothers could sell air conditioners.

[video=youtube;glD17Lyh8EE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glD17Lyh8EE[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Those evil Republicans just never stop...... The closed the hole to make it hotter so the Koch brothers could sell air conditioners.

Air conditioners that destroy the ozone layer, sir. THEY DESTROY THE OZONE LAYER.

AND, they contribute to global warming. I can prove it by putting a thermometer right beside the coils.* Those bastard Koch Brothers!

* What I did there? Did you see it?

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In case you were unaware, the climate was considerably hotter during the Mesozoic era.
    Ditto the late Paleozoic (Carboniferous and Permian periods) era.
    This is not speculation; this is fact, unlike the scientifically dubious "research" that comes from "scientists" with both a financial and political interest in arriving at a predetermined conclusion.

I'm clear, but I think you're allowing yourself to overlook some HUGE differences between the planet then, and the planet now.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm clear, but I think you're allowing yourself to overlook some HUGE differences between the planet then, and the planet now.

Yes, differences.
    There were dinosaurs, so certainly they must have been driving cars and otherwise polluting to contribute to what was clearly dinopogenic global warming.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Yeah man, I'm with you........ everybody who's anybody knows it was warmer because of all of the unicorns back then and their magic rainbows.
    ...... sadly, they're all gone now. :(

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Amazing to me the INGOers that appear to be open to supporting government intrevention in "saving the earth". Just goes to show us all that there's always room for the iron fist of the feds when it comes to contrived, fear-mongered, politically fueled issues--even for the supposed free market and keep your hands off crowds.

Not hard to figure out who the Jon Stewart Kool-Aid drinkers are, is it?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, differences.
    There were dinosaurs, so certainly they must have been driving cars and otherwise polluting to contribute to what was clearly dinopogenic global warming.

Geez, no wonder we rank near the bottom in math and science.
    Anyways, those huge factors:
    Hey's there used to be a super continent called Pangea...
    Pangea, broke apart due to this thing called continental drift...
    Continental drift changes the patterns of ocean currents...
    Ocean currents play a big role in climate...
    That Pangea, continental drift thing?
    ...put huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere
    Hey! they're also weren't any polar ice caps....
    ...and thus sea level was much higher (about 30ft higher)

So yeah, in my layman's opinion, there were huge differences between Earth then, and Earth now.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Great...wonderful.
    I'm still left to wonder exactly how things got very cold and stayed cold for tens of thousands of years, ending ten thousand years ago, then gradually warmed up.
    It must have been all those dastardly corporations that did it.
    :runaway:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The climate has been changing since the beginning of time, and will continue to, no matter what we do.

Anybody who claims they can predict the future climate of the world down to the degree is either deceived or a liar, because there's too many natural variables that can occur (or not occur) on a scale that dwarfs human activity, and are impossible to predict until they happen (or don't happen).
    Hence, even the most perfect, most intellectually honest model can't possibly be relied on.

Just like when I was at IU Bloomington in the mid 1970's taking classes from the School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA).

The big rage then was that the world was cooling and by now we'd be entering the next ice age.
    And ANYBODY who DARED question it was met with the same type of condescending arrogance that anybody who questions the ability of today's "experts" to predict the climatic future.

That said, we should make REASONABLE efforts not to pollute.
    But NEVER to the point of turning control of our lives, liberty and property over to a group of elitists who CLAIM they know what's best for us.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    "Those who say otherwise will wind up being mugged by reality."

Just pick those isolated facts that agree with your 'opinion' and run with them.
    It's air conditioners (they make more heat than cold) and microwave radiation (now used for everything everywhere) that are the true cause of climate change. Or at least they could be. Still working on this. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Geez, no wonder we rank near the bottom in math and science.
    Anyways, those huge factors:
    Hey's there used to be a super continent called Pangea...
    Pangea, broke apart due to this thing called continental drift...
    Continental drift changes the patterns of ocean currents...
    Ocean currents play a big role in climate...
    That Pangea, continental drift thing?
    ...put huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere
    Hey! they're also weren't any polar ice caps....
    ...and thus sea level was much higher (about 30ft higher)

So yeah, in my layman's opinion, there were huge differences between Earth then, and Earth now.

Man!

Where was Al Gore to stop all that stuff from happening???!!!!!

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    "Those who say otherwise will wind up being mugged by reality."

Just pick those isolated facts that agree with your 'opinion' and run with them.
    It's air conditioners (they make more heat than cold) and microwave radiation (now used for everything for everywhere) that are the true cause of climate change. Or at least they could be. Still working on this. I could be wrong.

Air conditioners don't 'make' heat. They simply are extracting from the air inside a structure and exhausting it outside. Keep in mind there is no such thing as cold, there is only an absence of heat.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    George Shultz, Reagan's Secretary of state, puts forth a proposal to tackle climate change and brings up the fact that Reagan took on Ozone layer depletion during his tenure. It, like climate change, had its detractors. Reagan ignored them and put things into high gear to combat the holes in the ozone layer. He took into account that the detractors could possibly be right, but erred on the side of caution and the future. His plan paid off and the ozone depletion was reversed over time. Now Schultz is calling for the same kind of plan where climate change is concerned. Take out an insurance plan. Maybe some republicans will listen to him. There are many things we can do to ameliorate the potentially disastrous effects of climate change, if thousands of scientists are right and the evidence is correct, that won't break the bank or require massive government intervention.

A Reagan approach to climate change - The Washington Post

I am not sure what 'reversed over time' means. For instance, the recent claim that it had meant that the Arctic Ozone hole had reduced by 4% and the Antarctic not at all. What is not known is what the Ozone hole was before the advent of satellites that started measuring it around 1979 or if it has always been fluctuating over time.

BTW, that claim came out just before the 25th year anniversary of the Montreal Protocol. Had to claim something.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    The ozone "hole" is a seasonal phenomenon first discovered in 1913. CFCs or Halocarbons, were invented in 1928, and were not commercialized until years later. When the patent protection was running out for Freon, Dupont silently funded a campaign to outlaw Freon as it would soon be overwhelmed by 3rd world suppliers, and Dupont held patents on the replacements for Freon. The thing is, CFCs were replaced with HCFCs, which do just as much damage [in a laboratory] as CFCs do to Ozone molecules. So in essence, we have done NOTHING for or against the ozone hole. It still exists. How large it is depends on what date it is that you measure. Voilà, the hole is getting worse/the hole is healing magic.

That was such an easy brainwash and made so much money for Dupont that Al Gore and a handful of others saw a golden opportunity and went for it hard. They are making money on the deal and to put the cherry on the cake it allows all future politicians to "hitch a ride on the money train" as long as they are willing to sell their soul for profit. [ like that is a stretch ]

The sad thing is, on either side of the debate, is that so many people will take a side because they think they should and all the logic and facts in the world will not get them to think about the truth. Robert Heinlein once said, "Men usually get the form of government they most deserve." I think he might have been quoting someone else, but it makes sense given all the hysteria without fact.

That is the story that I've always suspected was true.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Air conditioners don't 'make' heat. They simply are extracting from the air inside a structure and exhausting it outside. Keep in mind there is no such thing as cold, there is only an absence of heat.

Air conditioners do generate heat as a byproduct of their operation.

Top Bottom