• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I wish they were. The .458cal 325gn Flextips, despite what the catalog says, only have one cannelure. The Barnes have two pressure relief grooves, but the ogive is too long.

OK, I was fooled by the picture they show online. :(

I think you're on the right track with the longer, heavier bullets, anyway. The FTX bullets in calibers larger than 35 really don't make much difference, in terms of ballistic performance...they just cost more. :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    How are you crimping this shortened round for use in a tubular magazine?

NOTE: THE RELOADING INFORMATION DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED FOR GENERAL PURPOSE USE. IT WAS FOUND TO BE SAFE IN THE SINGLE-SHOT RIFLE USED FOR TESTING, BUT IS NOT MEANT FOR USE IN OTHER RIFLES CHAMBERED FOR THE 45/70 CALIBER.

With that out of the way, I'm not sure how/if Andrew is crimping these loads. Please do not use them in a lever-action rifle without carefully working up from safe minimums. The loads expressed in this threads were put together expressly for the stronger H&R action. I would not personally use them in anything other than an H&R SB2 or a Ruger #1.

:ingo:

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    NOTE: THE RELOADING INFORMATION DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED FOR GENERAL PURPOSE USE. IT WAS FOUND TO BE SAFE IN THE SINGLE-SHOT RIFLE USED FOR TESTING, BUT IS NOT MEANT FOR USE IN OTHER RIFLES CHAMBERED FOR THE 45/70 CALIBER.

With that out of the way, I'm not sure how/if Andrew is crimping these loads. Please do not use them in a lever-action rifle without carefully working up from safe minimums. The loads expressed in this threads were put together expressly for the stronger H&R action. I would not personally use them in anything other than an H&R SB2 or a Ruger #1.

:ingo:

Thank you for the heads up.

Buck67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    This cartridge sounds somewhat like the obsolete 11.7 X 56R cartridge that I reload for my original 1874 Danish Rolling Block. I shorten a 45/70 case to 2.101" and load it with 60 grains of 1.5F black powder and a 500 grain .458 lead bullet. This gives me an OAL of 2.85". Sometimes the rim is a bit too wide and I have to turn the rim down, but it works fine. I don't need to crimp the case after loading because it is blackpowder and a single shot. I can ring gongs at 500 meters with it so I am happy with the performance. With your understanding of the DNR laws, would this be a legal round to use to hunt deer in Indiana now?

Top Bottom