• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I just can't help but ask the burning question..... this discussion spp vs lpp, is it right up there with the 9mm vs .45acp or Ford vs Chevy debates????

No, it's more like if Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Honda and BMW all made the exact same model car. All of these run on gasoline. Then, out of nowhere, Dodge decides to put an electric motor in their car, and its a pain in the butt to find a place to plug it in.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Has anyone ever considered drilling the primer pockets out?

Scratching my head on his one. Maybe you are just pulling our leg? :): I don't think that would work and besides there is no way somebody would go to that much trouble. Besides if it is just a matter of sorting out the SPP to drill it then the problem would be self correcting. After all SPP is fine to reload. It's just a gigantic pain when the SPP brass is mixed with the LPP brass and you are feeding a progressive press.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I don't know where you guys have been? I've been fighting this for the past 4-5 years. Terribly frustrating to start with.
    Over time I've developed a rhythm on the 650. It takes a bit longer, but it's not such a big deal anymore.

Do tell us more about this rhythm of yours. I also load on a 650 and have a couple thousand 45 cases to sort the LPP/SPP.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do tell us more about this rhythm of yours. I also load on a 650 and have a couple thousand 45 cases to sort the LPP/SPP.

If you have a 50/50 mix, it pays to sort. A few mixed in is not a huge deal though.

If the primer doesn't set, I just continue on. Run two rounds and the SSP case is at the bullet feed die. Pull it, dump powder back in the hopper and toss it in the SSP case bin. Continue on. Sometime in the process I add the primers back in the tube from the overflow.

I haven't counted lately, but I'm sure I have a lot of SSP cases. There were USPSA shooters that were actually trading LPP for SPP cases a while back. Guys that mostly shot other calibers and didn't want to buy LPP's for shooting single stack occasionally.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I sorted out my SSP and sent them to my dad. He only keeps small pistol primers on hand.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If you have a 50/50 mix, it pays to sort. A few mixed in is not a huge deal though.

If the primer doesn't set, I just continue on. Run two rounds and the SSP case is at the bullet feed die. Pull it, dump powder back in the hopper and toss it in the SSP case bin. Continue on. Sometime in the process I add the primers back in the tube from the overflow.

I haven't counted lately, but I'm sure I have a lot of SSP cases. There were USPSA shooters that were actually trading LPP for SPP cases a while back. Guys that mostly shot other calibers and didn't want to buy LPP's for shooting single stack occasionally.

Thats what I have done in the past as well. I have a couple two or three thousand cases to go through before I load them in the hopper. They are easier to sort once they are clean. If a few slip through then it is the pop them out at the primer insert station and continue on.

I'm betting I have around 300-500 SPP cases saved up.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Scratching my head on his one. Maybe you are just pulling our leg? :): I don't think that would work and besides there is no way somebody would go to that much trouble. Besides if it is just a matter of sorting out the SPP to drill it then the problem would be self correcting. After all SPP is fine to reload. It's just a gigantic pain when the SPP brass is mixed with the LPP brass and you are feeding a progressive press.

What I'm getting at, is that if someone had been setting their SPP brass aside, instead of tossing it or taking the time to sort it every shot, then you could convert it with a bit of ingenuity. SPP brass has the same depth pocket as LPP brass. The dimension tolerances are .2085 to .210. A #4 drill bit is .209. You might be able to grind that bit in such a way as to leave the only the last .007 or so on each side (not super critical) of the cutting edge. Once you use that to cut the new dimension, clean up the shoulder left in the bottom with a primer pocket uniformer. Once you got it set up, you could probably process a couple hundred or so in an hour. Not everyone will mess with that, but someone might want to, say, if they only had LPP, and didn't want to buy SPP, or if they got sick of sorting it after every range trip.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What I'm getting at, is that if someone had been setting their SPP brass aside, instead of tossing it or taking the time to sort it every shot, then you could convert it with a bit of ingenuity. SPP brass has the same depth pocket as LPP brass. The dimension tolerances are .2085 to .210. A #4 drill bit is .209. You might be able to grind that bit in such a way as to leave the only the last .007 or so on each side (not super critical) of the cutting edge. Once you use that to cut the new dimension, clean up the shoulder left in the bottom with a primer pocket uniformer. Once you got it set up, you could probably process a couple hundred or so in an hour. Not everyone will mess with that, but someone might want to, say, if they only had LPP, and didn't want to buy SPP, or if they got sick of sorting it after every range trip.

Gotcha. Maybe? Since my shooting rarely lets me pickup my own brass (unless it is just me on the range) this probably would not be practical for me. Might be worth a try for someone though. I'll just pick out the SPP and set it aside.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm just shooting from the hip, here. It may be a wild goose chase. I don't have any SPP brass, as I don't currently have a .45. My boss reloads .45 on my stuff, but I think he has all LPP. I'll see if I can come up with some and let you guys know if it works. Most won't care, but someone might see it as worthwhile.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm just shooting from the hip, here. It may be a wild goose chase. I don't have any SPP brass, as I don't currently have a .45. My boss reloads .45 on my stuff, but I think he has all LPP. I'll see if I can come up with some and let you guys know if it works. Most won't care, but someone might see it as worthwhile.

It's not that most won't care, at least not for me. For me it's not worth the risk or worth my time to spend that much time on a case that I can buy so cheap as once fired range brass.

If things were to change and all the brass in the world dried up I might be interested in trying to re-engineer a SPP case but until that happens they will continue to get tossed aside.

I do like your thinking out of the box, well boxer that is.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It's not that most won't care, at least not for me. For me it's not worth the risk or worth my time to spend that much time on a case that I can buy so cheap as once fired range brass.

If things were to change and all the brass in the world dried up I might be interested in trying to re-engineer a SPP case but until that happens they will continue to get tossed aside.

I do like your thinking out of the box, well boxer that is.

Yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. At this point, my inner tinkerer is curious, so I just want to see if it can be done efficiently.

I love a good pun, that was well played.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. At this point, my inner tinkerer is curious, so I just want to see if it can be done efficiently.

I love a good pun, that was well played.

Yeah I am curious just because. But if all the LPP dries up I guess I will convert to SPP. It can be reloaded.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    10mm guys are easy to ID at the range. They are the ones on their hands and knees picking through the grass like gorillas.

Man, ain't that the truth. I've spent far more time looking for 10mm brass in the weeds than I have spent shooting it. I've even started looking for 10mm brass on follow on range trips (found some too) after I had to head home with 10mm brass still in the weeds. It's a sickness. I just hate leaving the range without all the 10mm brass I brought with me.

Top Bottom