• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Man, ain't that the truth. I've spent far more time looking for 10mm brass in the weeds than I have spent shooting it. I've even started looking for 10mm brass on follow on range trips (found some too) after I had to head home with 10mm brass still in the weeds. It's a sickness. I just hate leaving the range without all the 10mm brass I brought with me.
    Problem solved.
    acf368f.jpg

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Do tell us more about this rhythm of yours. I also load on a 650 and have a couple thousand 45 cases to sort the LPP/SPP.

The best method I came up with was to size/deprime ~20 or so cases at the end of a run when the primers ran out. Then I have those in a bin so next run, if you hit a SPP, then take out the SPP and throw one of your sized/deprimed cases in. That allows you to load the primer and keep on rocking. I've found out the hard way that you can slightly deform the primers when hitting a SPP case and you don't want to put them through the primer tube again or you're asking for issues (at least with Winchester).

I keep all the SPP in a separate bin. Figure they may come in handy if I can't get LPP. Also the brass is usually in good condition since most don't like to reload it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The best method I came up with was to size/deprime ~20 or so cases at the end of a run when the primers ran out. Then I have those in a bin so next run, if you hit a SPP, then take out the SPP and throw one of your sized/deprimed cases in. That allows you to load the primer and keep on rocking. I've found out the hard way that you can slightly deform the primers when hitting a SPP case and you don't want to put them through the primer tube again or you're asking for issues (at least with Winchester).

I keep all the SPP in a separate bin. Figure they may come in handy if I can't get LPP. Also the brass is usually in good condition since most don't like to reload it.

Great idea. I think I will do that. Thanks

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Perhaps someone will invent a .17x.45ACP wildcat that needs the small primers.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    I also hate the small primer brass just because it pisses me off when I am just in a good rhythm reloading then have to stop to throw it in the trash.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Man, ain't that the truth. I've spent far more time looking for 10mm brass in the weeds than I have spent shooting it. I've even started looking for 10mm brass on follow on range trips (found some too) after I had to head home with 10mm brass still in the weeds. It's a sickness. I just hate leaving the range without all the 10mm brass I brought with me.

I shoot mostly at home since I have my own range. However I have a batch of brass that has been loaded 30-40 times that is my "go somewhere else and shoot" stash so if I don't get it all back I don't feel bad. I approach SPP .45 the same way.

I could have understood an industry switch. That would have created confusion and problems for a while but eventually the issue would mostly go away. But the decision to manufacture both was deserving of a public flogging at the very least. My latest range pickup score (friends own a very large range in Kentucky and I can score a five gallon bucket of brass when I go visit) had a couple of thousand .45acp in it and I am still sorting them.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    SPP in 45ACP is the only time i've had a primer go off while loading on a Dillon 1050.
    This is the best solution I've found:

[video=youtube;1V7vSEAqkZw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V7vSEAqkZw[/video]

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In the hay day of bullseye shooting, only small pistol primers were available in "match" grade. Special .45 brass to use "match" primers was made, it was very desirable and very expensive. People in those days would be tickled to have them.

Personally, I prefer that all .45 acp have large primers. I did see one benefit. Remember when primers were so hard to get a couple years ago. I ran out of Large pistol primers, but still had several thousand small pistol primers. My 1911's still kept running. I figure it is to my benefit to have a couple thousand spp .45 brass put back for emergency use.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Personally, I prefer that all .45 acp have large primers. I did see one benefit. Remember when primers were so hard to get a couple years ago. I ran out of Large pistol primers, but still had several thousand small pistol primers. My 1911's still kept running. I figure it is to my benefit to have a couple thousand spp .45 brass put back for emergency use.

Funny thing, during the worst of the shortage I had the exact opposite happen. Somehow I ran out of SPP (can't believe I was that low when the shortage hit) and wound up loading some VERY old .38 Special brass that took LPP. I will NEVER scrap useable brass no matter what kind of primer it takes. Heck, I remember when the PMC berdan primers finally totally dried up a few years after the American import branch of the company went belly up. I kept saving up all of the good .217" berdan brass I found left on the range, regardless of caliber, and was VERY happy when Tula imported a big batch Murom berdan primers (after over a decade with no import!). The Russian sanctions have put an end to those particular berdan primers for the time being though :(...and I had high hopes that the success of the two sizes they brought in would spur them into importing a couple more of the sizes that Murom makes, but no one imports. It would've been REALLY nice to have some .250" and .254" berdans since surplus 54R and .303 Brit has increased in price so much. Being able to reload those surplus cases even once would be a big benefit when you're paying 50 cents/round for .303!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Funny thing, during the worst of the shortage I had the exact opposite happen. Somehow I ran out of SPP (can't believe I was that low when the shortage hit) and wound up loading some VERY old .38 Special brass that took LPP. I will NEVER scrap useable brass no matter what kind of primer it takes. Heck, I remember when the PMC berdan primers finally totally dried up a few years after the American import branch of the company went belly up. I kept saving up all of the good .217" berdan brass I found left on the range, regardless of caliber, and was VERY happy when Tula imported a big batch Murom berdan primers (after over a decade with no import!). The Russian sanctions have put an end to those particular berdan primers for the time being though :(...and I had high hopes that the success of the two sizes they brought in would spur them into importing a couple more of the sizes that Murom makes, but no one imports. It would've been REALLY nice to have some .250" and .254" berdans since surplus 54R and .303 Brit has increased in price so much. Being able to reload those surplus cases even once would be a big benefit when you're paying 50 cents/round for .303!

Do you have a hydraulic depriming system? Depriming was always the big hassle with berdan brass.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just can't help but ask the burning question..... this discussion spp vs lpp, is it right up there with the 9mm vs .45acp or Ford vs Chevy debates????

No. Those discussions have merits to both sides.

This is like discussing getting cancer while being set on fire as you're struck by lighting while tangled in barbed wire vs. a beach vacation with the Swedish Bikini Team.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Do you have a hydraulic depriming system? Depriming was always the big hassle with berdan brass.

No, I use an RCBS Lachmiller berdan depriming tool. They are quite expensive to buy new (for what they are), but I managed to find a used one for something like $20 because almost no one reloads berdan anymore. You'll need to get the puncture pin adjustment right, but that is easy enough with a little trial and error, you want to extract the primer cup reliably without damaging the anvil in the case. The real key for ease and speed for me though, was coming up with a completely new idea for holding the case. The rod that is supposed to hold the case bends the case mouth pretty bad even for most .30 cals and is worthless for larger cals, so what I do is take an appropriate sized die and screw it into a single stage press UPSIDE DOWN. This allows you to drop the case right into the die which supports the case from all sides and where the brass is thicker. The head of the case sticks up out of the die where you can get at it easily and you can use both hands to control and operate the depriming tool. Once the primer is gone, grab the case, chuck it into your deprimed bin, grab another case and drop it into the die. You can get a pretty good rhythm going if the primer crimp absent or not that heavy. Die selection is key and depends on how the case sits when it's in the die (just sit it in, don't force it or you won't be able to simply pick it back up out of the die). You don't want it sticking up too far (you'll bend the neck) but you also don't want it sitting down flush in the die. I like it to stick up about a half inch. Depending on the caliber, sometimes you use the full length sizing die, but other times you will need to use a completely different caliber of die altogether. I've never made a YouTube video, but I imagine showing the process would be very helpful to people, it's really very simple once you see it in action. I will NEVER use the hydraulic method or the case holder rod ever again!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    No. Those discussions have merits to both sides.

This is like discussing getting cancer while being set on fire as you're struck by lighting while tangled in barbed wire vs. a beach vacation with the Swedish Bikini Team.

Don't hold back BBI, go ahead and express your opinion on spp brass for the .45 acp.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom