9mm vs. .45 15 experts give their opinion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Bandwagon. The FBI dumps .40 so its days are numbered, blah blah blah. I've actually seen people on other forums saying .40 will be tough to find, prices will go up, bullet technology won't advance, etc. for the .40 because the FBI is moving away from it. I just pointed out its been a long time since the FBI carried .357 magnum or .45...yet it still seems pretty common, new cartridges are released, and its price has been rising at the same rate as all other ammo...

40's are dead, dead I say!!
    Might as well sell me any brass you find cheap.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I like these kind here.....Still fun reading this thread....:)

357poster.jpg

:hehe:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    PS if you stick your tongue on a revolver in sub zero it will stick. The magic Glock coating is not as bad.

My revolver and I save our moments of intimacy for when we are warm in the tent or by a cozy fire at the farm.....:)

If handguns were hookers Smith and Wesson Revolvers would be the Call Girls of the trade...Or for the "Firefly" fans...A "Companion"...:)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Interesting, I don't find that to be the case. Huge caveat there being, often times what people bring to class and train with is not what they carry, so that is going to bias my experience.
    I think that is going to be common. No one wants to go to a training class and have to reload after every 7 rounds. They are going to feel much more tacticool with 17-20 rounds on board (except the revolver guys who feel their 5-6 makes a statement). They likely also consider the recoil of shooting a thousand rounds over a weekend and feel they would get along better with 9mm than .45. That is just my thinking. As to what they carry, we know from comments on here that even some our resident gun people don't seem to carry all the time. When they do, it seems like they want something small that won't get in their way. I go with a compact single stack .45 because of that. To be honest I would likely take my P226 or M11A1 to a training class for the same reasons I gave above (at least the recoil fatigue with the number of rounds I would anticipate shooting). I realize it doesn't make much sense when you really analyze the choice

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This is why I don't get too concerned with caliber. I have a Sig 380 which goes everywhere with me. It conceals easily, it's reliable, it's accurate, and with quality SD rounds I am confident in it. i doubt those experts, nor anyone in this thread, have shot human targets with both calibers to compare how they worked. I think the choice in pistol is more important than the choice in caliber.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think it is interesting that everyone now gives the 9mm the official "nod" because of capacity, yet it seems like the majority of the the 9mm carriers (based upon comments on here and FB about Shields, G43, Sig 938) carry models with 6-7 round mags... I have the same number of rounds in my P220 compact.

This is a fantastic point!
    Maybe because it's now acceptable people are good with knocking them down... It's all about what comfortable and somewhat comforting right now. I am good with my 15 round magazines but not everyone thinks in such ways.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The bottom line is if you can quickly and consistently place rounds where you need them then caliber is really pretty far down the list of "important things to worry about". Far too many people concentrate on hardware and ammo when they should only be worrying about perfecting their skills. Jerry Miculek with a 625 revolver is very formidable. Jerry Miculek with a Ruger MK II is still just as formidable if someone is foolish enough to try to beat him. Practice is so much more important than caliber or type of gun.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The bottom line is if you can quickly and consistently place rounds where you need them then caliber is really pretty far down the list of "important things to worry about". Far too many people concentrate on hardware and ammo when they should only be worrying about perfecting their skills. Jerry Miculek with a 625 revolver is very formidable. Jerry Miculek with a Ruger MK II is still just as formidable if someone is foolish enough to try to beat him. Practice is so much more important than caliber or type of gun.

This^^^^^^

It is more important to be able to quickly and accurately make holes in the target(whatever it is) than the size of the holes or how many bullets that your gun has if you can't place the holes where they need to be.

BTW while you folks were hitting the keyboard debating a unsolvable 50+ year old argument.
    I was reloading ammo and dryfiring.
    :draw:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Heretic! Heretic! Get the torches and the kindling, we have a heretic to burn! Don't you know any combat associated problem can be solved with gear? I read it in a gun magazine and on the Internet. That makes it twice as true.

In all seriousness, I'm sure Jerry Miculek, while indeed formidable, doesn't carry a MK II for self defense. The venerable .22 does have its shortcomings.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    40's are dead, dead I say!!
    Might as well sell me any brass you find cheap.

I might be able to work some trades toward the even deader .357 magnum or buried and forgotten .45 ACP...but I'm hording all my 9mm for the coming revolution. Long live .380 magnum!

Top Bottom