Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. I knew you were.

Short answer: You can always return your payments to the government when you get them. I'll keep mine. I believe in the system.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah. I knew you were.

Short answer: You can always return your payments to the government when you get them. I'll keep mine. I believe in the system.

I'd phase it out. People who've had to pay in all this time should get what was promised, but I don't see that promise sustainable for much longer. Time to try something less governmenty.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Place a flat tax on all personal income, lower the rate and perhaps eliminate the employer contribution. I haven't looked at the numbers in quite awhile, but I remember that the projections were that the program was sustainable. 401(k)'s or other supplemental plans would also be encouraged. Social Security is the most efficient bureacracy we have. The GOP continues to punish them, but they do a very good job in administering the plan.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'd phase it out. People who've had to pay in all this time should get what was promised, but I don't see that promise sustainable for much longer. Time to try something less governmenty.

AMEN! I hate paying SS. If they would let me invest my 15% for me.......I would have been so rich by retirement I could have looked for ways to avoid federal taxes ;) Instead....I am paying for some fraud who smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day to be on disability for COPD! Chaps my behind.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

But what they promised sucks! Delete the whole thing. Social security was meant to keep the elderly poor and ensure citizens generally will not retire wealthy and give money to their kids. It is the single largest thing harming seniors today, but they got destroyed 40y ago and didn't know it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Who in their right mind pays more taxes then necessary. An idiot, that's who. Trump followed legal tax laws. So what s the issue? This is laughable at best. Good lord dems, come up with a real scandal. This doesn't come close to the crap the Clinton's have pulled. This just proves he is smart enough to use the laws legally. Clinton's are smart enough to abuse the laws. Big difference to me.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Who in there right mind pays more taxes then necessary. An idiot, that's who. Trump followed legal tax laws. So what s the issue? This is laughable at best. Good lord dems, come up with a real scandal. This doesn't come close to the crap the Clinton's have pulled. This just proves he is smart enough to use the laws legally. Clinton's are smart enough to abuse the laws. Big difference to me.

That's essentially what had me calling "bull****" when Warren Buffet and Bill Gates said that richer people should pay more. They can pay as much as they want. They don't have to take any deductions. They need to check their faux virtue.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Trump is horrible for paying what he owed in taxes.

I suspect that had he actually paid what he owed, he would have released his taxes months ago.

Either he didn't pay or his business dealings are too closely tied to China and Russia. Are you comfortable with either scenario?

Fact is, we won't know until he releases his taxes.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I suspect that had he actually paid what he owed, he would have released his taxes months ago.

Either he didn't pay or his business dealings are too closely tied to China and Russia. Are you comfortable with either scenario?

Well the other main party candidate has a charity that donated millions to her, funneled money from oppressive regimes in a pay to play scheme, and sold uranium to the Russians. So one candidate may have done business with these regimes (which is part and parcel of business in those countries), and the other did actual high level political favors for those regimes.

Why are you making excuses for one and not the other?

I guarantee you that Bill Gates could lose 90% of his money today, and his quality of life wouldn't change one iota. He has everything he needs or wants; anything else is just frosting on top of more frosting.

A 12% tax on someone earning slightly above the federal poverty level puts them BELOW that poverty level. 12% on Bill Gates changes nothing in his life. Yes, the absolute amount paid differs greatly, but there isn't a comparable effect on quality of life.

Gate has already given away something like $25B in donations over the years, but he's still the richest man in the world. At some point, wealth begins to generate wealth, with generates even more wealth.
    That's great but you still have avoided answering the following;
    Here's a list of the world's richest families. Now, given that some of those families have dozens or hundreds of descendants, how many of those people were ACTIVELY involved in the creation of their wealth?
    So after how many generations should the wealth these people created and passed to their families be forfeited?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Oh, that's just too rich!
    Hillary Clinton met with influential Clinton Foundation donors as Secretary of State - Business Insider
    "More than half the people outside the government who met with Hillary Clinton while she was secretary of state gave money - either personally or through companies or groups - to the Clinton Foundation. It's an extraordinary proportion indicating her possible ethics challenges if elected president."

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Yep, but we will fine out then. We will never know what was in those 30k plus mails. That pisses me off.

Trump, yeah, he is a blow hard braggart but he knows what tax laws need to be changed. I trust him more then a Clinton any day.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not sure what you mean. Hoagy wrote that. Joseph is an Indiana boy. So is Hoagy. That's as close as I can connect the two.

Alfred Stieglitz was a famous photographer of the 19teens and 20s and was married to Georgia O'keefe (review spelling in #129, or not. Just a riff on #124)

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hell I'm all for it,elect Trump,inaugurate him, and let him run right down the federal bankruptcy court and declare bankruptcy on the US. We divide up the assets, the White House and Capitol building have to be worth something, and we start over!
    You know, that isn't too far off from the plan he proposed early in the primaries.

He lost almost a billion dollars. Or half his net worth at the time. His advisors counciled him that his leverage and projections were based on faulty math. He went forward and failed anyway. He declared bankruptcy to avoid loosing the rest of his inheritance.

I think that calls into question his "genius" and business acumen. And that's what he's basing his qualifications on.

So the worst is out there. He's a bad businessman. A poor steward of his family fortunes. And he sucks as a fiduciary.

Why then, still refuse to release the tax returns? I suspect because there are additional complexities with foreign powers that he doesn't want exposed. Or the facade of his enormous wealth is apparent from the returns.

I won't consider voting for him until he releases his tax returns.
    And those of you who will, don't remember "you got to vote for it to find out what's in it".
    That strategy hasn't worked well for any of us. I'm not buying another pig in a poke.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Blah blah blah.

he personally backed business loans, how many people do that? Good for him.

apprently the new bar in America is if you have a setback you are permanently a loser for life. Gotta love the life lessons the left is teaching us.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You know, that isn't too far off from the plan he proposed early in the primaries.

He lost almost a billion dollars. Or half his net worth at the time. His advisors counciled him that his leverage and projections were based on faulty math. He went forward and failed anyway. He declared bankruptcy to avoid loosing the rest of his inheritance.

I think that calls into question his "genius" and business acumen. And that's what he's basing his qualifications on.

So the worst is out there. He's a bad businessman. A poor steward of his family fortunes. And he sucks as a fiduciary.

Why then, still refuse to release the tax returns? I suspect because there are additional complexities with foreign powers that he doesn't want exposed. Or the facade of his enormous wealth is apparent from the returns.

I won't consider voting for him until he releases his tax returns.
    And those of you who will, don't remember "you got to vote for it to find out what's in it".
    That strategy hasn't worked well for any of us. I'm not buying another pig in a poke.

You won't vote for Trump over concerns about "additional complexities with foreign powers" but you apparently have no problem with Hillary, who is pretty much owned by big donors to the Clinton Family Foundation many of which are foreign powers, being elected? Hillary has already sacrificed the lives of 4 Americans to protect the business interests of a financial backer, lied about the reason for the attacks to protect her political party and career, and put national security at risk in order to use position to seek donations to her fraudulent charity and you are concerned about Trump's taxes?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Blah blah blah.

he personally backed business loans, how many people do that? Good for him.

apprently the new bar in America is if you have a setback you are permanently a loser for life. Gotta love the life lessons the left is teaching us.

Apparently Donald doesn't even get a participation trophy. Oh the humanity!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom