• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have to agree with some of the other Plinkers. I've been a member for quite awhile, but I don't post very often. Does that make me some kind of outlaw? I understand the rules, and try to stick to them. Is 50 post the magic number? Who can tell. My suggestion would be pick a number and only let members view that area. No guest, no one under the post count.

Hey Mike. If you reread this thread, you won't find many (I'd like to say any, but there is always one in the crowd) that view Plinkers as outlaws. It is only those that bypass the rules to sneak into the for sale area that are being debated.

Newbies are very welcome in the site. They can participate and get plenty of value here. It is just that there is an established history where people come in, post a bunch of useless one-liners, and then too often have ripped off longstanding members. I appreciate the attempt to protect board members from fly-by-nighters and keep this from becoming another hoosertopics.com. That B.S. would drive a lot of good people away.

No number of posts will provide the "magic level" to prove that all people are trustworthy, but it has been a good filter. I do very little buying/selling, but I do appreciate being able to have some type of track record here. I see that you have been on for same time with very few posts. Nothing wrong with being a lurker and just reading.

I made a suggestion similar to yours earlier in this thread about keeping people out of the classifieds until they qualified, but was shot down because apparently a lot of people find INGO via web searches and it attracts them to the site. Sigh...

Oh well, I guess this setup encourages more site supporters and more money to help Fenway with running the site. And so the eternal 50-post debate continues... :ingo:

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I run/own a website. They are not "expensive" to run. If no one under 50 posts can buy or sell then no one under 50 posts should be allowed to view the area.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I have to agree with some of the other Plinkers. I've been a member for quite awhile, but I don't post very often. Does that make me some kind of outlaw? I understand the rules, and try to stick to them. Is 50 post the magic number? Who can tell. My suggestion would be pick a number and only let members view that area. No guest, no one under the post count.
    I, personally...would feel more comfortable buying from someone such as yourself who has been a member here for almost a year but only has a minimal number of posts as compared to someone who has been here 3 days and knocked out 50 posts. :twocents:

But hey...I don't make the rules. :cheers:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    To be honest, when I stumbled into INGO, I was looking for classifieds and joined up before I knew there was a 50 post requirement. I looked around, and took a month or two to come back, but when I came back, it was the information going back and forth and all the different training being offered that made me stick around. The classifieds became somewhere to look at pictures of different guns while I waited for a thread to get more interesting or die out. Being picky about what I say took me forever to reach 50, and by then the ads weren't the draw.

Enough of you have been welcoming both online and in person, that, while I still don't say much, I'm learning a lot and try to pipe in whenever I do happen to have something worth saying. So, thanks.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I came up through the system. I read and learned a great deal from various threads. I had no problem with waiting for 50 posts. There were a couple times I wanted to respond to something, but could not until I had reached 50. No big deal. I just waited. I found many things of interest, and was encouraged by long-time members by their friendly and helpful replies. In less than a month, I had passed 50. Over that time I learned how the system works, learned to navigate the threads, classifieds, home pages, reps, PMs, etc. I did not miss out on anything because I had to wait for 50 posts.

When I joined a union shop, I had to pass a probationary period. When I was hired as a professor at colleges/universities in Indiana, Indonesia and Jamaica, I always had a probationary period. Full membership privileges were only granted after the probationary period was completed. Every job I have ever had began with a probationary period. Therefore, a probationary period of 50 posts is not by any means unreasonable. In fact, it helps the noobie by giving him/her time to learn the ropes. Mistakes are caught by mods or friends. Apologies and corrections are easily done.

My conclusion: The current system works well. It is not perfect, but it is working well. If greater care is needed to control the noobies who try to purchase too soon, I suggest a mod message to the entire membership reminding them to check the post count before doing business with anyone. The vast majority of the membership here are good, high quality folks. They will comply if asked, or if reminded. I do not think we will gain any benefits from raising the post count or increasing the fees. This will spur the inconsiderate members to seek further loopholes and give them a reason to justify breaking the rules.

Again, the current system works well. We can tighten up by reminding the members of the rules and requesting greater compliance.

One last comment: I think the mods do a great job. I cannot imagine the work required to monitor this thing. They are doing a great service for the membership and I tip my hat to them. THANK YOU!

MikeBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Brazil, IN
    I appreciate the work that goes into running this site and the privilege to participate. By no means was I saying the rules should be changed, I just thought if some were having problems, they might like to hear a few different opinions.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the Input

I appreciate the work that goes into running this site and the privilege to participate. By no means was I saying the rules should be changed, I just thought if some were having problems, they might like to hear a few different opinions.

I appreciate hearing your opinion. The dialogue helps all of us assess what we can do to make this site better. Most of our members are positive folks, and will interact respectfully. The interaction, the exchange of ideas, offered here is not available anywhere else.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    As a "low posting newbie" myself, I read through this thread and noticed that no one under 50 posts seemed to have an opinion on this topic, so let me share mine. I like looking through the classifieds, but I am not on here solely to buy your stuff. I enjoy reading the opinions, and like some other forums, there is alot of good information on here, plus it is tailored to Hoosiers. As far as the concern that people with less than 50 posts are going to screw you, it depends on whether you are the seller or buyer. If you buy from someone with less than 50 posts, and send them your money for a product, you might not get that product. If someone with less than 50 posts buys your product, and sends you the money, then there is no problem. If they don't, then you have to go to the trouble of relisting it, but you are not "screwed". But I do like the idea that you have to have contribute something to this community before you can take advantage of some of the good deals you see on here. I support the rule, and do not plan on circumventing it.

As you can see from my count...I am pretty new to site. I have the fewest posts from anyone that has replied to this tread so I can give a different view. I have been a memebr for a few weeks...plunty of time to get 50 posts. However, I do not know that much to give an opinion about a lot of things. I just like to read what others have to say and look around. I also like to look at classifieds just to see what is out there. Many of these people might be like me where they just dont have a lot to say, but that should not group us into a catagory of "rule breaker" or for people to look down upon me because I dont put a bunch of bs posts up like "nice gun, I hope you enjoy it". Posts like that mean nothing and should not even count. Unfortunitly they do and because people give credit to others with a higher post count, they will continue to put bs posts in. I am not arguing against the rule, I am just saying there are people out there such as myself that just do not want to post that much stuff.

Amen
    Been here 6 months and I am still not there.

Looks like we found a solution for timid posting.......:):....just start a thread about post count.;):ingo:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Bump with price drop :):

Nice :)

toomuch.jpg

I enjoy reading the classifieds. Where else can you find a "LNIB" previously fired Glock for $600?? :):

I saw the exact gun and definitely showed my little brother, with some confusion on my face. Brand new glocks are $489 at PSS! :)

It's not really that hard to reach 50 posts, just hopping in a great thread with a good topic like "Where would you shoot a BG" or "Wait for the cops and risk trespassing or leave as requested" can net you some really great quaility post in a hurry when there is a passionate debate.

OOOOH my thread is famous! I really didn't expect that much discussion in the thread, but that's what we're here for!

I'm getting tired of INGO'ers nit-picking on "the first fifty posts" . Seems like anytime a noob posts ANYTHING, somebody makes a comment about it.

I'm guilty of this from time to time. I try to be careful about it, but sometimes it's just SOOOO obvious!

*shrug* I'm just kinda smart-alicky by nature so I point stuff out. :D

I think they ought to keep track of everyones posts to ensure they are of QUALITY on a daily/weekly basis...just because you have 50 posts doesn't mean you are contributing to the site in a positive manner. Anyone caught posting in any of them there wasteful bandwidth threads should be disqualified from buying/selling in the classifieds. :yesway:

Agreed. Our mods are too freaking lazy and need to do more around here!

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    If I may be so bold as too throw in a TOTAL outsiders opinion (so-cal boy).. So really it means absolutely nothing..

But I am a member on tons of other sites and I must say the 50 post rule need to go.. It should be total up the buyer and seller if they want to do business with each other.. Money is money and if the two parties can work out a deal between themselves then so be it.. Calguns.net (California’s largest gun site) has this, Glocktalk is this way, m4carbine, I can go on and on if you like.. Why are you any different then them? We are all big boys here and high school ended a long time ago.

Just start up a simple sticky (recommend sellers list) and move along with life..

Some people take a year to get to 50 posts other like me will be there in a few weeks.. 50 is just to high of count in my opinion (which again) means nothing..

Linkpimp..

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    If I may be so bold as too throw in a TOTAL outsiders opinion (so-cal boy).. So really it means absolutely nothing..

But I am a member on tons of other sites and I must say the 50 post rule need to go.. It should be total up the buyer and seller if they want to do business with each other.. Money is money and if the two parties can work out a deal between themselves then so be it.. Calguns.net (California’s largest gun site) has this, Glocktalk is this way, m4carbine, I can go on and on if you like.. Why are you any different then them? We are all big boys here and high school ended a long time ago.

Just start up a simple sticky (recommend sellers list) and move along with life..

Some people take a year to get to 50 posts other like me will be there in a few weeks.. 50 is just to high of count in my opinion (which again) means nothing..

Linkpimp..

I don't know the mission statement of any of those other forums, but INGO is a gun forum 1st and a classifieds 2nd. The classifieds is designed to be a trade area for contributing members to the classifieds.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I don't know the mission statement of any of those other forums, but INGO is a gun forum 1st and a classifieds 2nd. The classifieds is designed to be a trade area for contributing members to the classifieds.

While I somewhat agree with the concept, the intended purpose of the owner and the usage of the members are two completely different things. Some individuals, once they get their 50 post count will never be seen again in any thread other than the classifieds. How is that supporting the sites intent? Members will use the site as they see best, and the 50 post count is nothing more than a speed bump to those only wanting the classifieds. I cannot blame someone for only using the classifieds, as I have no reason to discourage it.
    Since there is much traffic in the classifieds, maybe it should be changed where the new threads in the classifieds do not show up in the general forum's unread posts.;)

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    Well, a few comments from an under 50 ....but not much under the magic number LOL..and I do think the 50 count rule is valuable

1st) I apologize for PM ing someone who had listed in the classified.....I didn't interpret the rules I read the same way ...the person I contacted let me know I wasn't supposed to do that so I withdrew my offer to buy ...maybe the answer is to also restrict the ability to PM to the 50 count rule?

2nd) I was on here lurking awhile before my first post...even got that message at the top saying...."what's the matter your keyboard broke"....I really don't like to post when I don't really have anything to say other than getting a post count up to be a "full" participant....I'd rather learn from others who know more than I ....I'm on other forums where it is the blind leading the blind because of frequent posters
    .....so if I get to 50 and I slow down in my posting it is like I tell my fourth graders....you'll learn more with you eyes and ears open and your mouth ( keyboard ) shut.....

3rd) I have found my habits changing in the use of this site with the 50 post requirement....I was hitting the classified most at the beginning...forgive me mods, I have sinned....and now find myself looking over all the sections esp INGO events and training....being on this site resulted in my attending my FIRST training...thanks COACH....I'll be back!...just to have RHINO oops on me.....:>) (rep me and I'll never tell)

4th) I agree on the less than substantial posts to get to 50 and to say that the classified are secondary to purpose is fine however it is the procurement of new firearms that keeps us buzzing about the shooting sports....I imagine that very few of us active on this site are static in their gun ownership....they are either adding to or changing the the makeup of their collections.....buying and selling and trading for that gotta have new to me gun......sorry sargent....weapon...:>)

5th) does this count as a quality post or will the mega posters laugh and say....just wait till he gets to 50 ...we'll only see him in the classified???

tom /with flack vest on

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    does this count as a quality post or will the mega posters laugh and say....just wait till he gets to 50 ...we'll only see him in the classified???

No; it seems that one-liners posted in a rush to the Classifieds all follow the same lack of punctuation, sentence structure and thought, regardless of who is posting them. It's like they are all reading from the same "Skirting INGO Rules for Dummies" book or something. Your post above follows none of those patterns, and makes points worth considering. Thank you for your contribution!

:ingo:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm turning myself in. You don't have to worry about monitoring me. Your rules have been broken. If a person is trying to sell or buy something and someone has either (a) money or (b) product, then why would they not deal??

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    IMHO, the current system is working well. Some folks just need to take a:chillpill: and some others need to read the :rules:.

Once we are all on the same page, and are willing to give up a few "personal rights" for the good of the community, we will have an even better site/forum than we have now. A little respect and consideration go a long way to making folks feel at home.:cheers:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    While I somewhat agree with the concept, the intended purpose of the owner and the usage of the members are two completely different things. Some individuals, once they get their 50 post count will never be seen again in any thread other than the classifieds. How is that supporting the sites intent? Members will use the site as they see best, and the 50 post count is nothing more than a speed bump to those only wanting the classifieds. I cannot blame someone for only using the classifieds, as I have no reason to discourage it.
    Since there is much traffic in the classifieds, maybe it should be changed where the new threads in the classifieds do not show up in the general forum's unread posts.;)

I get your point, but it's like Shooter said - you cannot catch everyone. There will be people that do what you're saying and it's your choice whether to do business or not. But that's ultimately what the rule is designed for.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I took the 50 post rule before I could participate in the classified section to mean just that.That a person could not post in the section until he had 50 posts.. I did not know this meant PMs as well. Please accept my apology for skirting the rules.

Top Bottom