• ...and so much more!
  • el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    My roommate and I are rehashing the carry ammo debate, I argue that knowing what's beyond your target is important regardless of your round but obviously more considerations need to be taken with such a light fast round. I'm curious if anyone here carries a 5.7x28 religiously/ occasionally and would be willing to share why? Recently bought a Ruger 57 and I like the gun a lot but I'm not sure if it's a practical EDC, or if it's more meant to take the place of the trunk rifle.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seen them used on the street pretty frequently. Overhyped round in the gunternet mythology.

Teams of professionals who shoot a lot of people tried them in various SMGs and found they had to shoot people significantly more often to get the same effect as similar PCC. CNS hits remain instant drops, of course, but dedicated attackers took a while to reduce BP enough to realize they should fall down. Has not seen wide acceptance over the years due to that.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Just… no. :lmfao:

It’s a neat round with a VERY niche use that works kinda OK in that particular niche (with the right ammo) from a P90, at least as far as offensive/defensive use. But how many guys are running around in vests/plates on the regular?

I think it would be fun to have a little bolt action chambered in it for varmints, but that’s about it for me (and even then .223 is still more versatile, and .221FB is easier to load).

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The issue it is so similar to a 22 Mag. The other issue it’s in guns much bigger than a 22 mag say S&W 351c (or whatever the model is) and Ruger LCR. So while I’m not against a 22 mag snubby for someone that’s just going to Krogers in a pocket if I have to have a bigger gun why would you really want a 5.7 when there are a ton of other better performing Caliber choices!

DD15CBUS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Columbus
    As far as the round itself, cool round, but IMO same safety plan as any other. My problem is the firearms for 5.7 aren't as easy to conceal, in my opinion, so I have not gone that route yet

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Watch some honest ballistic reviews and comparisons with 5.7 vs other carry rounds and 5.7 under preforms in all of them. Even out of a 16" barrel, it's not impressive. 124gr 9mm +p makes a bigger wound cavity and causes more tissues damage on impact and in most cases penetrated deeper.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The other issue with 5.7 is availability!!!!!

You can go to any store that sells ammo and find one of the big 5 or so quality ammo makers and get something from their line of self defense type ammo not to mention practice ammo in 9,40,45 10mm and 38/357 usually

5.7 not always the case!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    The round was designed for a specific use as a PDW, in the military, for people who needed more standoff distance than a handgun could provide, and for that it is a good idea...especially with the AP version of ammo. I certainly would not want to stop even one of the "civilian" legal versions, and it is a flat shooting round, but I would not, personally, want to carry it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Watch some honest ballistic reviews and comparisons with 5.7 vs other carry rounds and 5.7 under preforms in all of them. Even out of a 16" barrel, it's not impressive. 124gr 9mm +p makes a bigger wound cavity and causes more tissues damage on impact and in most cases penetrated deeper.
    Pretty much right here...I'm not a big 9mm fan and 9mm out performs 5.7, making 5.7 a mute point.
    I do have a Savage 93 bolt-action in .22WMR and it's a hoot to shoot...very accurate out to around 150 meters too!
    I have a 6.5" stainless Ruger Single Six with both .22lr and .22wmr cylinders... .22wmr is a hoot to shoot through that as well!

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    My roommate and I are rehashing the carry ammo debate, I argue that knowing what's beyond your target is important regardless of your round but obviously more considerations need to be taken with such a light fast round. I'm curious if anyone here carries a 5.7x28 religiously/ occasionally and would be willing to share why? Recently bought a Ruger 57 and I like the gun a lot but I'm not sure if it's a practical EDC, or if it's more meant to take the place of the trunk rifle.
    So, if you carry very expensive stuff it can be better than 9mm offerings. However, anything you find on the shelf (including gold dots) are sort of underpowered. Better than 380, not quite 9mm. The 40gr fn blue tips will go through 3a soft armor and still bite.
    If you get into the $3/round t6b stuff it's incredible(elite ammunition). It is effectively the difference between white box 10mm and bubbas pissin hot hand loads. Check the testing on those if you're serious about carrying the 5.7.
    Most of the arguments against it are effectively the same as the 9 vs 45 debate, Bullet tech and capacity. The biggest problem is finding ammunition that fully utilizes the capacity and tech we have without taking out a second mortgage.

Either direction you choose, make sure you research your chosen ammunition carefully. Pay attention to manufacturer years etc because even fn nuetered their loads at a certain point. /rant

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    So, if you carry very expensive stuff it can be better than 9mm offerings. However, anything you find on the shelf (including gold dots) are sort of underpowered. Better than 380, not quite 9mm. The 40gr fn blue tips will go through 3a soft armor and still bite.
    If you get into the $3/round t6b stuff it's incredible(elite ammunition). It is effectively the difference between white box 10mm and bubbas pissin hot hand loads. Check the testing on those if you're serious about carrying the 5.7.
    Most of the arguments against it are effectively the same as the 9 vs 45 debate, Bullet tech and capacity. The biggest problem is finding ammunition that fully utilizes the capacity and tech we have without taking out a second mortgage.

Either direction you choose, make sure you research your chosen ammunition carefully. Pay attention to manufacturer years etc because even fn nuetered their loads at a certain point. /rant
    Yeah I watched a couple videos of people pulling the fps off the different rounds, I'm carrying green tip 27gr at the moment and from what I understand it should basically dissolve through the armor, v-max blue tips and stuff are cool and all with the full 40gr but I'd think the lessened weight combined with the 900-1000 extra fps would put it far beyond the capacity of the telfon 9mms I like to carry

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    Other than someone that is very recoil sensitive it's a bad idea. If someone decides it's their go to I would remind them that ACCURACY is paramount with any bullet so light out of a pistol.
    I've been carrying it lately because of my lack of range time, I'm not using my gun endless I need to and I simply have better control of the gun over my sig, I just feel like being able to stack a follow up shot with it would be significantly easier

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    I understand that the ballistics are everyone's main concern but I have probably shot 700-800 rounds of 9mm my whole life, I feel like the accuracy of the 5.7 and the 3 extra rounds might help compensate for my current lack of experience shooting

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    I understand that the ballistics are everyone's main concern but I have probably shot 700-800 rounds of 9mm my whole life, I feel like the accuracy of the 5.7 and the 3 extra rounds might help compensate for my current lack of experience shooting
    I grew up with guns, I'm not saying I'm in anyway incompetent, but there is a mental aspect to somewhat believing it doesn't matter if I miss once or twice

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I grew up with guns, I'm not saying I'm in anyway incompetent, but there is a mental aspect to somewhat believing it doesn't matter if I miss once or twice
    Just remember you are responsible for every round you fire and every bullet that leaves your gun. Even the ones that don't hit their intended target. Accuracy under stress is difficult. I'd recommend hitting the range and running drills with a timer.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Respectfully you would be better off becoming as proficient as you can. If that means finding a gun that you shoot the best then I would start there.

I wish people would take into account rule 4 issues and if they are good enough to even be carrying a firearm when and if they have to use a firearm as a consideration before selecting a firearm simply because it holds more rounds.

I mean if you test drive a car you don’t like or don’t feel comfortable in do you get it anyway because it goes 159 MOH over something comfortable and easier to drive that goes 100?

Got a chuckle (out of a lot of YouTube blabbers but this one specifically) Sig 226 Legion came with 15 round magazines and this a$$hat biggest criticism was they have 17 round mags available SIG should have added. If a 2 rounds makes a difference especially after firing 15 you done screwed up something! Never been a documented case for us normal earth people that 17 made a difference over 15. But everyone is some tier 1 assets these days!

I just got back from the East Coast Snubby roundup at Sawmill Training complex SC. Had great training with Darryl Bolke, Wayne Dobbs, Chuck Haggard and Bryan Eastridge and from keeping stuff in 3X5 cards to B8 to 8” steel at 50 yards it’s always the driver and not the car!

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I've ever known one guy to carry this round. He was Army back in the day. And there is no doubt in my mind he is proficient with it. But I don't agree with his reason for carrying it. He says no one carries it and if he gets taken out. He isn't supplying a bad guy with more ammo. I would have rather heard that he is most proficient with it. Concealment isn't a factor since he does open carries as well.

Top Bottom