• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I understand that the ballistics are everyone's main concern but I have probably shot 700-800 rounds of 9mm my whole life, I feel like the accuracy of the 5.7 and the 3 extra rounds might help compensate for my current lack of experience shooting
    This is the problem. Get out and train with that 9mm. Ditch the 5.7.

And you can train and be proficient a LOT cheaper with the 9. A case of 9mm ball is under $300. How much is 1,000 rounds of the cheapest 5.7?

Practice and proficiency is key. Just running a box of ammo through the gun once isn’t enough. But that’s what’s going to happen if you decide to carry a niche expensive round gun.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I've ever known one guy to carry this round. He was Army back in the day. And there is no doubt in my mind he is proficient with it. But I don't agree with his reason for carrying it. He says no one carries it and if he gets taken out. He isn't supplying a bad guy with more ammo. I would have rather heard that he is most proficient with it. Concealment isn't a factor since he does open carries as well.
    If he gets taken out they have his gun and ammo so that thought process doesn’t really make sense but Ok whatever he wants to think!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've ever known one guy to carry this round. He was Army back in the day. And there is no doubt in my mind he is proficient with it. But I don't agree with his reason for carrying it. He says no one carries it and if he gets taken out. He isn't supplying a bad guy with more ammo. I would have rather heard that he is most proficient with it. Concealment isn't a factor since he does open carries as well.

It had a rise in popularity with 'da streetz' for a few years, not the most common but certainly had a decent showing. Now the converted Glocks are the cool kid guns and we're seeing less of the 5.7 again.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It had a rise in popularity with 'da streetz' for a few years, not the most common but certainly had a decent showing. Now the converted Glocks are the cool kid guns and we're seeing less of the 5.7 again.
    I am shocked to hear it was ever even a thing on the street, being a fairly niche gun for many years with really only two fairly expensive platforms to shoot it from. And it's not like you can easily chop a PS90 barrel down to make it more concealable like the P90.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Yeah I watched a couple videos of people pulling the fps off the different rounds, I'm carrying green tip 27gr at the moment and from what I understand it should basically dissolve through the armor, v-max blue tips and stuff are cool and all with the full 40gr but I'd think the lessened weight combined with the 900-1000 extra fps would put it far beyond the capacity of the telfon 9mms I like to carry
    I made the decision early on to really only stock up on the green tip stuff, and while those platforms have definitely cooled off for me, I still tend to think of it as a good round and the people that compare it to 22 mag aren't being fair. That being said, I have shot it at a lot of steel, from fiveseven and a PS90, and it sure doesn't swing the steel like a 9, and barely leaves a mark.

I did shoot a coyote that a buddy wanted to see the damage it did inside and he was really impressed and he's skinned a lot of coyotes. It gets inside and tumbles and does a lot of damage that doesn't show up on ballistic testing.

Best advice is above, get good with what you have, and there's a lot to said for just being normal.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am shocked to hear it was ever even a thing on the street, being a fairly niche gun for many years with really only two fairly expensive platforms to shoot it from. And it's not like you can easily chop a PS90 barrel down to make it more concealable like the P90.
    Thieves don’t care about expense. They’ll just steal it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

When the word was it would go through soft armor, it caught on among the better funded/better at thieving set. It was never the majority of guns, but had a surprising showing.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Thieves don’t care about expense. They’ll just steal it.
    Steal it from who?

I for one only leave my Saturday night specials laying around, maybe spread around in the side ditches.

I would think that the Venn diagram of people that leave their guns lying around and people that own FiveSevens would barely be a thing.
    Not arguing, just trying to understand how it came to be.

ETA: probably answered by BBI above, the mythical armor piercing rumors actually sold some of them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Steal it from who?

I for one only leave my Saturday night specials laying around, maybe spread around in the side ditches.

I would think that the Venn diagram of people that leave their guns lying around and people that own FiveSevens would barely be a thing.
    Not arguing, just trying to understand how it came to be.

ETA: probably answered by BBI above, the mythical armor piercing rumors actually sold some of them.
    I manage to steal your 5.7 from under the seat of your unlocked suv in suburbia along with your purse.

Cool. Now I have one. If I can’t go behind the counter at Walmart and pocket a box, I’ll sell the G19 I lifted from your neighbors car (also unlocked) and use the cash to buy some ammo.

Edit: or use the cc from your purse to buy myself some.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I manage to steal your 5.7 from under the seat of your unlocked suv in suburbia along with your purse.

Cool. Now I have one. If I can’t go behind the counter at Walmart and pocket a box, I’ll sell the G19 I lifted from your neighbors car (also unlocked) and use the cash to buy some ammo.

Edit: or use the cc from your purse to buy myself some.
    I told you to not talk about my purse on the open forum!!

I’m just saying I’m suprised that thier rarity would allow them to show up in the stats, that’s all. I understand that you burglars can and will steal, that’s why I lock my doors when I go to suburbia. It’s the rarity of the platform.

I’m the only person I know who has a FiveSeven and a PS90.

In my purse, at least.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The purpose of the 5.7 is for Loggies to shoot VDV in Western Europe in the late 80s-early 90s.

It's 2024, I'm not in Western Europe. I'm not subject to a chain of command and no one can tell me to carry a .22 magnum, so I don't.

And if we want logistics we just ask Kelly.

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    This is the problem. Get out and train with that 9mm. Ditch the 5.7.

And you can train and be proficient a LOT cheaper with the 9. A case of 9mm ball is under $300. How much is 1,000 rounds of the cheapest 5.7?

Practice and proficiency is key. Just running a box of ammo through the gun once isn’t enough. But that’s what’s going to happen if you decide to carry a niche expensive round gun.
    Not making excuses for myself, I just have not done it yet, having the 5.7 does make me want to buy a 43x or something with a thinner profile but I own 3 9mm handguns, I have no excuse.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not making excuses for myself, I just have not done it yet, having the 5.7 does make me want to buy a 43x or something with a thinner profile but I own 3 9mm handguns, I have no excuse.
    Step 1 of the 12 step program is admitting you have a problem. Now you just need to fix it. LOL

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I mean what does BBI know about ballistics?

It's not like he was a regular Polizei then a detective now a LT in charge of crap.
    It would be different if BBI had investigated hundreds of shootings.

@ditcherman wears a fanny pack (man purse) I think he has a "man bun as well"

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I can see the 9 vs 45 analogy to 5.7 vs 9 and 5.7 being adequate with proper loads... that cost dollars per round and have to be ordered.

I understand that the ballistics are everyone's main concern but I have probably shot 700-800 rounds of 9mm my whole life, I feel like the accuracy of the 5.7 and the 3 extra rounds might help compensate for my current lack of experience shooting
    Almost zero mechanical accuracy difference at ranges shooting someone is justified. Statistically, 17 rounds vs 20 rounds is irrelevant since the vast majority of SD action doesn't use half that. Plus, as mentioned and as the saying goes, every bullet comes with a lawyer. That's also assuming it doesn't take those extra 3 rounds to stop the perp because you didn't buy the dollars-per-round fancy ammo.

I get it, it's a cool gun and round but you're building a roundabout straw man case to justify it.

Top Bottom