4 yo boy in Merrillville shoots himself and dies.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I understand both sides of the argument here. I taught my son early too. His first trip to the turkey woods was at age 18 months. At 7 he killed his first turkey. He was raised on firearm safety and is now he is one of a handfull of people I'd walk in front of while hunting with firearms. I literally trust him with my life.

That said, I kept dangerous items out of reach - lighters, poisons, gasoline, knives, razors, car keys, small choking hazards, ... - and he was never in a bath or swimming pool unsupervised, or rode his dirt bike, then four-wheeler unsupervised.

I didn't raise my son in a bubble away from dangerous things, but I taught him and supervised him. Now he teaches others.

It's a parents choice how they protect their children, but it's an important part of parenting. Don't make those decisions lightly. Engage. Care enough to stay engaged.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well I was raised in an era (born in 1941) when almost every home had firearms exposed in the home - some loaded, if not ammo was available on the shelf or drawer near the firearm. ALL the children of that era were taught to not touch any firearm without an adult present and consenting to your handling the gun. During this era I never heard of any firearm accidents. Never heard of "Gun safes" until I was an adult. I was hunting and shooting on my own by the time I was 14, as were almost all my friends.

While this is a tragic incident, would you feel the same about punishment if their child had drowned in their swimming pool or found and consumed a poison household cleaner, aspirin or medication and died? There are far more children that die from other issues than firearms, it is just that the liberal media does not publish these.

Children die every day from accidental causes. Most, in retrospect could have been avoided and would have had everyone involved had the power to see the future. I'm talking about children falling down stairs, poisoning, auto accidents, choking on objects, drowning, fires etc. Most of these "accidents" never are published beyond the local news (there are so many), and in most cases the parents are sympathized with and held blameless.

It, however becomes a liberal media sensational event when a firearm is involved and gives the "gun control"
    people ammunition to find fault. I really expect more from people on this site!!

No, these people do not deserve punishment, they deserve prayers and sympathy. They certainly will not make the same mistake (yeah it was a mistake, not an overt act of negligence), nor are they a "threat" to others.
    VERY well put Larry!

And since Larry and others have mentioned it...

Moderngunner, do you have kids?
    where do you keep the kitchen knives? The Drano? The mouse poison?
    Do you own a stove? (you know, those dangerous things that kids (and adults) burn themselves on!)
    Do you have a swimming pool? Or did you ever let your kids go swimming without your direct supervision?
    What about a lawn mower? Kids are killed and maimed every year with those things!
    did you let your kids drive or get in a car with someone else?

Seriously Moderngunner, by your logic, all of us parents should be locked up for life! Or maybe make it easier and have us all line up for a firing squad!:dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    VERY well put Larry!

And since Larry and others have mentioned it...

Moderngunner, do you have kids?
    where do you keep the kitchen knives? The Drano? The mouse poison?
    Do you own a stove? (you know, those dangerous things that kids (and adults) burn themselves on!)
    Do you have a swimming pool? Or did you ever let your kids go swimming without your direct supervision?
    What about a lawn mower? Kids are killed and maimed every year with those things!
    did you let your kids drive or get in a car with someone else?

Seriously Moderngunner, by your logic, all of us parents should be locked up for life! Or maybe make it easier and have us all line up for a firing squad!:dunno:

You do remember we're talking about a 4 year old, right? I don't think many folks let a 4 y/o swim unattended, play with kitchen knives, have access to Drano, etc. I've yet to see a 4 y/o child killed by a lawnmower. Lost toes, yes, but they weren't the ones operating it. I have, unfortunately, responded to drown children. In both cases, the child had gotten out of the house while the parent slept and they had not decided to just leave the kid around water and figure they knew enough to stay out.

Poisoning deaths are very rare these days. Changes in packaging, parents having better knowledge, and availability of medical care has greatly reduced that risk over the years. There are less than 40 fatal poisonings among those under 6 each year.

Drowning, though, that's a very real concern. Leaving a toddler near a pool unattended? Yes, just as stupid as leaving a toddler with access to a firearm. The only difference is in the risk to other children present.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You do remember we're talking about a 4 year old, right? I don't think many folks let a 4 y/o swim unattended, play with kitchen knives, have access to Drano, etc. I've yet to see a 4 y/o child killed by a lawnmower. Lost toes, yes, but they weren't the ones operating it. I have, unfortunately, responded to drown children. In both cases, the child had gotten out of the house while the parent slept and they had not decided to just leave the kid around water and figure they knew enough to stay out.

Poisoning deaths are very rare these days. Changes in packaging, parents having better knowledge, and availability of medical care has greatly reduced that risk over the years. There are less than 40 fatal poisonings among those under 6 each year.

Drowning, though, that's a very real concern. Leaving a toddler near a pool unattended? Yes, just as stupid as leaving a toddler with access to a firearm. The only difference is in the risk to other children present.
    I know we are talking about a four year old. I said without HIS direct supervision.
    You dont have to "let a 4 y/o play with kitchen knives", they are very capable of opening a drawer and getting them themselves.
    Same thing with household poisons.
    Yes, it's terribly sad that a child died! The only information we have seen is that the gun was put up "out of reach" (obviously not!).
    To me, that's not enough info. to say the parents need to be thrown in jail just as if they had pulled the trigger themselves!
    If they were blatantly negligent, then perhaps some kind of punishment. But losing a child is enough punishment for ignorance and/or a mistake.
    If the parents thought they had put the gun away where the kid couldn't get it, then they were wrong. Maybe stupid, maybe ignorant, maybe even negligent! But 20 years in prison, and have their other children taken from them (if there are others)? Seriously?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand both sides of the argument here. I taught my son early too. His first trip to the turkey woods was at age 18 months. At 7 he killed his first turkey. He was raised on firearm safety and is now he is one of a handfull of people I'd walk in front of while hunting with firearms. I literally trust him with my life.

That said, I kept dangerous items out of reach - lighters, poisons, gasoline, knives, razors, car keys, small choking hazards, ... - and he was never in a bath or swimming pool unsupervised, or rode his dirt bike, then four-wheeler unsupervised.

I didn't raise my son in a bubble away from dangerous things, but I taught him and supervised him. Now he teaches others.

It's a parents choice how they protect their children, but it's an important part of parenting. Don't make those decisions lightly. Engage. Care enough to stay engaged.

My son and SIL are the fun police when we are out in the woods or at the range. I trust them both with my life....or my flanks.

Top Bottom