• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    My wife is just getting into shooting and is really enjoying her 22 rifle. I am looking for a new rifle for her that is in a reloadable caliber. I stopped in at the lgs and they had a lever action that I liked but it was in 44mag which I think is probably bigger than she would really like. My question is does anyone have a rifle in 357 and how does it do shooting 38spl I already have a revolver in that caliber and am thinking that a lite 38 might be just the thing for her.

Thanks Ben

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Not sure about a lever action 357 but a friend of mine has a single shot H&R. Basically no recoil in 357 and we shot 38's out of it and there was no recoil with those. We had a lot of fun shooting it and it was accurate.......

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I have a Handy Rifle II with .357 & 20 ga barrels; it's a great shooter with both .38 special and .357 mag (single shot though).
    Thought about reaming it to .357 Maximum for a little extra reach but really not needed for where I hunt.
    View attachment 34565

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Contact Henry rifles

Home | Henry Repeating Arms

It may take just a little time, but if you tell them you are having a hard time finding one in your area, Henry will ship one of the caliber of your choice to a Henry dealer near you.

It is my opinion you'll not find a better built lever gun, and .357 would be perfect for a woman/youth shooter.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a Marlin .38/.357 and it is a wonderful rifle. I can't compare it to any other manufacturer because I've not done a comparison. I can say it's never had an issue and I shoot about 100 reloaded rounds through it every month. It has been a while dice I've shot .38 through it, but I would assume it is up to the task is I start reloading that caliber again.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    ^ I'll echo what's been said. The Marlin .357/38 is a fantastic rifle. I cast lead for it and it's a real sweetheart of a shooter with 158gr FP bullets loaded with Unique. Mine is one of the 2007 JM stamped models with the octagon barrel (Cowboy). No question she would enjoy that rifle. Otherwise I would suggest a .223 rifle. Very manageable recoil for just about anyone and the accuracy can be made with handloads to be exceptional too.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Marlin .38/.357 and it is a wonderful rifle. I can't compare it to any other manufacturer because I've not done a comparison. I can say it's never had an issue and I shoot about 100 reloaded rounds through it every month. It has been a while dice I've shot .38 through it, but I would assume it is up to the task is I start reloading that caliber again.

agree 100%

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ^ I'll echo what's been said. The Marlin .357/38 is a fantastic rifle. I cast lead for it and it's a real sweetheart of a shooter with 158gr FP bullets loaded with Unique. Mine is one of the 2007 JM stamped models with the octagon barrel (Cowboy). No question she would enjoy that rifle. Otherwise I would suggest a .223 rifle. Very manageable recoil for just about anyone and the accuracy can be made with handloads to be exceptional too.

excellent statement.

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I will have to look into a marlin, I have one from the 70's in 30-30 that I really like but again more gun than she wants to shoot.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    Ruger has their .357 bolt action rifle, and it looks good. I have the Rossi Puma lever action and I do like it.
    One of these days, that Ruger .357 bolt action will be in my gun room! HTH.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    As mentioned Henry, Marlin, Rossi and even the Handi rifle. Marlins quality had been questionable for the last few years but from what I hear they are improving. If you get one let us know what you get and what you think of it! .357 would be great rifle round. I almost bought one then decide to go with the 44mag.

Lever guns are too cool! I have two now. thinking about getting a third :-( I have a 44mag and a 45-70. Both are Henry. I am seriously wanting a Marlin 1895cb in a bad way.

CCC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2014
    Northeast
    I have shot Marlin (1894?) with 38's. It worked fine. As quiet as a .22 rifle.

Also have shot the Legacy PUMA, made by Rossi. It was a stainless model. It would not shoot to point of aim. Needed a taller front sight. Never shot 38's.

And a Henry Big Boy .357. Excellent shooter. Heavier than the Marlin or PUMA.

I would pick the Henry for accuracy. But the Marlin accepts a scope more easily. Also the Henry is not set up for use of a sling.
    The Henry loads differently than the others also. It is not as good for hunting in the field, in my opinion.

Of these 3 rifles I would pick the Henry for fun shooting.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Henry's newer rifles are setup for a scope mount. They sell a scope base. Plus they do have a sling kit you can buy. I am using a Skinner aperture sight on my 44mag and will be putting the same on my 45-70.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    Since you already reload you could get the .44 Mag rifle if she likes it, and load up some 44 Spl level ammo for her in .44 Mag cases. The great thing about rolling your own is that you have the flexibility to download more powerful rounds to ease new shooters into them, or load them down just for more enjoyable recreational shooting.

Top Bottom