• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yes, there is at least one guy here who goes by "Hookeye" who is presently using that as his favored deer rifle.
    I'm pretty sure there are some others who also do that.
    btw...you may already know this, but it's worth mentioning to anyone who doesn't already that you can hunt with any centerfire caliber you like out of a handgun, just as long as the case length is 1.16" minimum length and fires a minimum of .243 caliber bullet.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Necking down implies smaller caliber. Shortening the neck to make the case less than 1.8" for an Indiana legal dear cartridge is not "necking down".

Hrmmmm...his comment about using it to hunt made me miss the part about wanting to neck down the case, thinking he was talking about making a deer legal rifle.
    Maybe he really did intend to ask about shortening the neck?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Sorry to hijack but I don't reload so... any idea where I can get an IN-deer-approved .35 Rem ammo?

I'm pretty sure someone would be willing to assemble some reloads for you, as long as he either already has the components (dies, brass, bullets, powder, primers, etc.), or if you are willing to buy them and have him make them up for you for a fair price for his time and effort in return.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My little popper
    0Hr6pMn.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Sorry I didn't use the right terminology but this is where I was heading.

It happens.
    You'll be able to hunt with it legally with just a little help modifying the brass.
    Hookeye can probably give you all sorts of suggestions and information from his experience with his own gun.
    .35 Remington is said to be a very reliable cartridge for deer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    While I now have dies, brass and bullets.........my rifle being a single shot............am not really burning up the ammo.
    Had Bob do some loads for me, still have a box and a half.
    Rifle shoots right at an inch for 5 shots at 100 (Bob's stuff mimics WW factory ammo in my gun accuracy wise).

The G2 forend was modified for the older frame (easy, just file a notch).
    Hollows of the forend filled w 7.5 shot and epoxy. Gun is much easier to shoot offhand now with added weight/change of balance.

Only shot one deer, 50 yards. On shoulder front edge quartering to. Bullet was 200gr Hornady. It came apart and did not exit.
    Deer ran 30 yards and was dead.

Not much experience killing one deer LOL. Have passed on other deer. Nothing else shoot worthy.
    Maybe add data this fall.

Call Bob, he's made some rounds for others, so probably got some feedback. Nice guy, known him for years.

Have whacked only 1 with .44 mag rifle, but a fair number with wheelguns. Think I'll be content to just run a .35 Rem rifle, even if the law changes.
    Handy, accurate, comfy and out to 200 yd range.

Last edited:

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I trim the 358 winchester neck down to 1.79 and I was surprised that it was still just as accurate. I load medium charge of varget and 200gr hornady. Have some other reloads I'm going to try out once I get to the range. Shot one buck and it's the only deer I've ever dropped in its tracks, it just blew up inside

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you seat the bullets to reg OAL..........trimming the case neck doesn't do any harm.

Less neck could reduce tension, but then if you have to trim off enough to get in that realm, you just need to crimp.

Single shots...........kinda nice. You don't have to worry about bullet slip in the magazine under recoil.

But I still keep an eye out for a 7600 in .35 Rem...........................

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I just did a few Winchester 200 gr. factory rounds. Pulled the bullets, trimmed the brass, then reloaded using the same powder. Seated bullets to same OAL as factory loads.

Doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I too use the .35 Rem with cut down brass in my CVA Scout. Had a Marlin 336 and it was accurate but I had issues with FTF so sold it off and bought the Scout. I think it was problems with my sizing but the Scout shoots great with a 200 gr Corlok over 41.3 gr Leverevolution powder. Only shot one deer so far but it was a big bodied 9 point and dropped him in his tracks.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Buddy of mine uses a 35 Rem with shortened cases and loves it. Easily a 200 yard gun with the right ammo and a decent shooter pulling the trigger. I thought about getting one but opted to just stick with the muzzleloader again this year.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I have two 336s in 35, both shoot 1 1/2" at 100yds.. I also have used a shortened 45/70 in a Marlin 1895 it's just as accurate, just a bit more cumbersome to carry. It's been a fun project working up loads for all three.

Top Bottom