• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.
    Wish I could figure out how to post pictures. I worked up several loads and finally settled on 36 gr. of IMR 4064 and a 200 gr. Hornady FTX for my Marlin. Beleave it or not shot a 5 shot group @ 100 yards and under an inch. 4 of the 5 bullets were touching. Now I am curious to see what it can do @ 200 yards?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Haven't shot any shorties at distance yet.
    Drop off some cases at B&K and have them make me a batch.
    Reg factory 200gr stuff is close to an inch at 100.
    picture.php

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Hookeye,

That thing is crazy-looking! :)

Did you fabricate or adapt that buttstock yourself?

This is my 44RM barrel, legally lengthened to allow it to be set up as a carbine. Do you have a SBR stamp for yours?

TC%2520Contender%252044Mag%2520Carbine%2520002-small.JPG

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It looks better with stock at max close ;)

Sorry man, I can't hang with the cool kids, my bbl is a factory TC Super 16 (16.25") :(
    The grip is from Choate ($70 OUCH!).
    http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/09-03-12

The rear face was not perp so the thing had huge cast off.
    Little Dremel work and it squared up.
    Commercial AR tube with Magpul stock. Changed it to .50" recoil pad (it aint much of one) and added .50 snap on comb. Again, too much $ for what it is.

The gun kicks too much for the kid to use (why I initially went with adj stock).

The forend is for a G2, like the looks of them better. Had to file some plastic for a little clearance to get the action to fully open with the old style but "easy open" frame. Regular forward hinge trigger guard, it opened enough without mod.

I can shoot golf balls at 100 with it. But 20 rounds later I have a waffle print on my shoulder, gone by next day though ;)

Some beer and Krylon and the thing might start looking better, dunno. First test I didn't like so I removed it from the forend. If I go dove hunting today I won't paint it.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Awesome stuff, Hookeye...really dig it! :D

What's funny is that I could shoot the 44RM as a pistol, all day long. I shot 50 rounds through it at the range one day and it didn't bother me at all. As a carbine, the recoil is SHARP! Lots of folks want to try it, cuz it looks so small and cute, but I have to warn every one of them to really hang onto it or suffer a case of scope eye. :)

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hookeye,

That thing is crazy-looking! :)

Did you fabricate or adapt that buttstock yourself?

This is my 44RM barrel, legally lengthened to allow it to be set up as a carbine. Do you have a SBR stamp for yours?

TC%2520Contender%252044Mag%2520Carbine%2520002-small.JPG
    Broom_jm,
    I have a 14” barrel in .357 Herrett I’d like to make carbine legal. How is your extension attached and where did you have the work done.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Broom_jm,
    I have a 14” barrel in .357 Herrett I’d like to make carbine legal. How is your extension attached and where did you have the work done.

Bucky,

The extension is a simple aluminum tube, machined and pinned in place by David White, of D&T Custom Gunworks, out of OK. David has written approval from the BATF for the method he uses, as it is permanently affixed. I've had several projects done by Mr. White and you could not ask for a better riflesmith, or human being, to work on your firearms. I don't know that he'd be able to get to it before this deer season, but if you get ahold of him and ask, he'll give you an HONEST answer...he won't BS you and then not get it done in time.

I think a 357 Herrett carbine would be a sweet little deal for Indiana deer hunting! :)

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Bucky,

The extension is a simple aluminum tube, machined and pinned in place by David White, of D&T Custom Gunworks, out of OK. David has written approval from the BATF for the method he uses, as it is permanently affixed. I've had several projects done by Mr. White and you could not ask for a better riflesmith, or human being, to work on your firearms. I don't know that he'd be able to get to it before this deer season, but if you get ahold of him and ask, he'll give you an HONEST answer...he won't BS you and then not get it done in time.

I think a 357 Herrett carbine would be a sweet little deal for Indiana deer hunting! :)
    Thanks for the info. That sounds like what I’ve been looking for.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You could have this guy thread your bbl and then silver solder on a brake or tube. Excellent rep on other sites, seems like a good dude in my email correspondence. Haven't had work done by him, but if I find the right barrel, will :)

http://www.jpgrips.com/

I thought about doing a Super 14 TC bbl with a 5.5" XM177 style brake (machined to clear .35 cal) , but then found a 16.25" bbl used.
    My bbl is tapered, not full bull, so I won't add the brake to it. Don't need to, but it is rather short and I'd like a little more weight at the front for offhand stability.

BTW, Jp can make a matching extension for you, but it must be "permanently attached" (pinned, welded, or silver soldered) for conversion as regular rifle bbl.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That looks like another good option, Hookeye, but as long as I'm shipping my barrel/guns out to be worked on, I'll stick with the guy I mentioned earlier. He doesn't just seem like a good dude; he's proven himself to me and any type of work I need to have done, that he is willing to do, I'll send his way. :)

johnwayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Lee Factory Crimp Die

For about $25 Lee Precision will make a custom factory crimp die to fit the shortened 35 Rem. Just send them a dummy round and a check for the proper amount.

johnwayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Come to think of it if one uses a powder like Leverolution that is slow enough that there is not enough room in the case to put in too much, a full caseload would make a crimp unnecessary to protect against bullet setback as the powder would take care of that problem.

It will be fun to see the test reports that are coming.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Come to think of it if one uses a powder like Leverolution that is slow enough that there is not enough room in the case to put in too much, a full caseload would make a crimp unnecessary to protect against bullet setback as the powder would take care of that problem.

It will be fun to see the test reports that are coming.

And if the bullet is seated close enough to the lands you shouldn't have any problem with consistent start pressures.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    This question might have been answered but here goes again...If the gun has 35 Rem. stamped on it and a 'by the book C.O." checks the owner will will the CO buy the story the case has been cut down? Or does the hunter have the stamping on the barrel changed to .35 Rem 1.8 just to be safe?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    "By the book" would mean check case length/bullet diameter.

Any CO that goes by barrel stamping alone should soon be saying "Welcome to Walmart".

My Python says .357 Magnum on it. It can also shoot .38 Specials.
    .38 Specials are not deer legal.

The law is ammo based.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This question might have been answered but here goes again...If the gun has 35 Rem. stamped on it and a 'by the book C.O." checks the owner will will the CO buy the story the case has been cut down? Or does the hunter have the stamping on the barrel changed to .35 Rem 1.8 just to be safe?

The law states that the case length must not exceed 1.800". It does not say the head of the case, or the barrel, must be stamped with specific verbiage. ;)

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    shot up my shortened cases this weekend. 2100 fps with H4895 and Hornady 200 FTX. Ballistics calculator says zero for 2" high and I'll be less than 5" low at 200 yards. I wouldn't try a shot more than 200 yards anyhow.

I could not tell any difference between the short case rounds and the rounds with the regular case length.

I had a five shot group of about 2.5 inches with three of the shots touching. That's just about as good as I can get this rifle to shoot.

Works for me!

Total investment:

about $13 for an extra factory crimp die to cut .120" off the bottom.
    about $3 for an extra case length gage to be trimmed down to 1.795"

Total - $16

That's a little out of my price range but what the heck. You only live once!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Finally made it to the range yesterday with my shortened .35 Rem rounds. I put two rounds in the bottom of my Model 8's magazine and then loaded it ip with three rounds of standard ammo. Fired the top three rounds and then loaded three more. Did this again so the bottom two, shortened rounds had been in the magazine for nine rounds fired. Both of them kept their original OAL. I was shooting some Remington 200gr spitzers over 2230 powder for a load that should be close to 1900fps (I didn't have time to bring the chrono with me). I trimmed them to 1.78" on my Forrester trimmer and loaded them with RCBS dies.

The 100 yard range was packed, so I went to one of the pistol ranges. I was limited to 25 yards but got three shot groups that were cloverleafs. I put the info into a ballistic calator and being dead on at 25 puts me about N inch high at 50 Nd an inch and a half low at 100. Where I hunt, you can barely see 75 yards, so I figure hold dead on and I'll be good to go at whatever shot I get! I can't wait to get this old classic back out in the field!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom