• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Boyds factory stock had less than good paint job.
    So I redid it in matte black............of course the new can of spray paint wouldn't fully dry, so spent 2 hrs cleaning that off.
    Had some old spray paint in couple camo colors so used those then shot w a couple coats of clear (new can there, same brand as bad black paint, but was fine).
    Need to go with a slightly higher set of rings. Bench gun, more upright, want least stress on my aching neck.

IMG_20240828_115022484_HDR~2.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Of course the Boyds forend contour not perfectly symmetrical, hence the swivel version of leg notch bipod ( Harris ). Bottom " metal " around mag well is thin and rubs side. Just a chinsy design. So proly order DIP version and adj as needed. Bit of work, going w a Savage. Has DIP guard already but sports factory &#@?! Accutrigger.

I have an old Anschutz sporter 64 that had issues too.

Honestly, should skip the cheap or the old and just plunk a couple K on something new thats got recourse should it be put together wrong.

Always wanted a cheekpc, schnabel tipped sporter for hunting. And mine has both issues resolved. But Id prolly been better off never buying the savage or the old sporter and just got a new 1710.

But man that first smack in the wood stock would really sting. Too bad they dont make a synth version.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Only Savage rifle id now consider buying would be a .250 -3000 take down Model 99.
    Had an old EG in .300 and it was OK.

Not a fan of the 110s even though my dad liked em. The TR is a cheap .22 rifle, no matter how ya slice it. Even if it shoots good, it lacks a better look and feel. Life is too short to be only practical.

Hence the 1416 purchase. That was a bit of a hassle but thankfully corrected. Its shoots as good if not better than the heavier Savage rig w higher mag scope.

But neither has had really any ammo experimentation. Yet.

Savage only kept for fam to shoot. Can just move scope back to fit the other members. One of the benefits of a pic rail

Last edited:
    Top Bottom