• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clearwat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Potential multi-billion dollar contracts at stake, and you think 250 agents investigating was a waste of resources?

If I read the article right it was African "Dollars". At the way OUR government rifles through money, seems we should look internal first for fraud. But I don't expect them to bite the hand that feeds them, my dog doesn't.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    American ethics aside, let's compare the numbers.

The S&W folks marked up the sale of 1800 pistols by 20%.
    At $800 each (which should be pretty steep if you are buying 1800) that comes out to ~$1.4MM.

Now, 250 agents working for 2 years on the project, as the article stated. Let's see what they cost...

• Assuming they work full time (40 hours)
    • Put in 45 weeks a year (even Gov't people have to have a vacation every now and again)
    • Have a base pay of $25/H (~$50K year, pretty meager for special agent pay)

That comes out to $22.5MM in expenses (not including fringes like insurance, 401K, etc.) on a sale of $1.4MM....hmmm

Keep in mind they (S&W) were paying an extra 'commission' (bribing) to an African (fictional) national. These types of payment are very typical in many parts of the world and considered an accepted part of business, to the extent that the 'commissions' are often 'budgeted'.

Hmmm, keep another country safe from the evil S&W empire or use the $22MM to really help America?

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Potential multi-billion dollar contracts at stake, and you think 250 agents investigating was a waste of resources?

From the article:

In the case of the Smith & Wesson executive, Goncalves gave price quotes for two sales, a small one of 25 guns and a larger one with 1,800 pistols.

Where are you getting multi-billion dollars?

Let's say 2,000 pistols at $500 each = $1,000,000.

250 agents X 2 years X $50,000 (assuming they were all at the entry pay grade) = $25,000,000.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008

At $800 each (which should be pretty steep if you are buying 1800) that comes out to ~$1.4MM.

Now, 250 agents working for 2 years on the project, as the article stated. Let's see what they cost...

• Put in 45 weeks a year (even Gov't people have to have a vacation every now and again)

That comes out to $22.5MM in expenses (not including fringes like insurance, 401K, etc.) on a sale of $1.4MM....hmmm

Keep in mind they (S&W) were paying an extra 'commission' (bribing) to an African (fictional) national. These types of payment are very typical in many parts of the world and considered an accepted part of business, to the extent that the 'commissions' are often 'budgeted'.

Hmmm, keep another country safe from the evil S&W empire or use the $22MM to really help America?

You beat me to it, but I'm glad our uncoordinated numbers are reasonably close.

Clearwat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009

Thanks for running the numbers. Like I thought, waste of resources.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Anyone having done business overseas understands it's just part of how business is done in some countries. They call it many different things; but, in the end it is someone getting his cut of the pie. I believe it's called taxes in some countries.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Potentially multi-billion dollar contracts. Just because they got caught with a "small" order doesn't mean that they wouldn't have done the same thing to land the re-armament of (insert your favorite country here). And if you reread the article, you will see that 250 agents didn't work full time on it. It clearly states there's only 20 agents working current cases anyways. 250 probably includes the undercover agents on the other end, all arresting and transportation agents, the investigating agents, and all of the other "part time players" in this sting. I still stand by my position.

sprshggy07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Terre Haute
    I give the guy in Miami props for chillin on the beach while the other 21 were lining up to be arrested. Probably cost a pretty penny just to find that one guy.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    So all commissions are bribes now? :rolleyes:I'm SOOO ashamed of S&W, I'm selling all of mine, at $1500 a gun, plus 20% commission, of course!:laugh: Who wants to buy an $1,800 .38?

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Elvis would have been proud.

elvis-elvis-cool-hair-smiley-emoticon-000203-large.gif

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Potentially multi-billion dollar contracts. Just because they got caught with a "small" order doesn't mean that they wouldn't have done the same thing to land the re-armament of (insert your favorite country here). And if you reread the article, you will see that 250 agents didn't work full time on it. It clearly states there's only 20 agents working current cases anyways. 250 probably includes the undercover agents on the other end, all arresting and transportation agents, the investigating agents, and all of the other "part time players" in this sting. I still stand by my position.
    scheesman you are making up stories and believing them! "Potentially" doesn't mean squat! Have you ever heard the joke about the boy asking his dad the difference between potential and reality? You are naive to the way the OTHER 95% of the world turns. Yes it happens here too, but not anything like other places around the globe.

I am not defending the actions they are charged with, but the entire thing (with what we KNOW at this point) sounds like a real scam, on the part of the government. I will reserve final judgment until more facts are reliably corroborated.

Top Bottom