• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    Content warning? I mean we're in a thread with more than a few carcasses, but just so you're aware the heart is pictured below.

Gentlemen, I don't think most of you would believe this without a picture, so I took a picture. The story goes that this is my first year of archery and I ended up buying a barnett 370 on sale from Walmart after a little Google fu. Seeing as how I like to consider myself a responsible hunter, I shot probably 35-40 times during site in and learning the process. A lot of rifle skills translate to crossbow, at least in my brief experience, so I didn't have too hard a time with it. I even built a cardboard target that's about 50 layers thick (thank goodness for amazon addiction) and sacrificed a broadhead to ensure accuracy. I say all that to say this and finally present the picture. In all the years I've been rifle hunting I have never failed to split a heart. It's not something I'm aiming for specifically, more just how grandpa taught me to aim. I had an inkling as I'm gutting last night as I was getting closer to the heart. I pulled it out and saw a neat little "X" on both sides. She ran about 30 yards and dropped.

Attachments

• 20241008_234053.jpg
      20241008_234053.jpg
      375.5 KB · Views: 4

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well daughters bow just got set to 35# and got broad heads with lighted nocks she is ready to go now.

Bleachey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2019
    Petersburg
    Well I whiffed on one last night, sent it right over her back at what I thought was 30 yards. Will do some more target shooting to verify it was user error and not anything weird with equipment, but definitely assume it's user error. Monday evening had a little 6 pointer skirt the edge of the woods way out of range, although he would have been safe even if he was in range. Had 2 does come in around 6pm, get to about 50 yards and veer perpendicular to me then circled back to the north away from me. About 7:15 they(pretty sure they were the same 2) came back and walked on the trail 30 yards to the side of my stand. 2nd one was a mature doe so I got into position, she stepped into a window and I sent it. Saw it go right over her back. She did a little hop and then they hung around thick stuff for about 10 minutes before slowly heading out into the harvested corn field and I watched them walk away until it got dark. Other than my bad marksmanship it was an enjoyable first 2 sits of the season. Did have either a young eagle or really big hawk snatch a squirrel in a tree about 15 yards away and have a loud meal for 20 minutes. I saw it fly in, but when it hit the tree could not see it because of foliage to make out exactly what it was.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Me, our youngest and my friend from Lagrange County are all in the lottery for early and late hunts at Chain O Lakes. Last year was tag soup. Hoping for better this year. Staff said the most luck was had setting up on picnic tables in the campground. Might have to try that.

Top Bottom