• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Patiently waiting for Saturday. Hiding ice cream in the deep freezer. Kids find everything.

2rz2wr8.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Always been a propane griller. With kids around constantly screaming, I'M HUNGRY!!!, never seemed to be time for charcoal. I've had a ECB (el cheapo Brinkman) charcoal smoker for years that I played around with. It's been modified to the point of being marginally adequate.:rolleyes:

This year for Father's Day the kids got me a Weber.

m0lEPIjl.jpg

I love it. Mainly because it's my first Father's Day gift that I subsidized 0% of the price.;) But the best gift is really gainfully employed kids, both living west of the Mississippi.:thumbsup:

Broke it in with a little pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon and some stuffed portabella muhrooms...

tGT7WXLl.jpg

It did NOT suck.

Tried my luck at some pizza next. Just whatever store bought crust was on sale. Topped with sauce, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto and more portabellas...

n5cE7RFl.jpg

Damn. That was good. It will be awhile until we go out for pizza again. Just the right amount of charred goodness after 5 minutes @450 on the old pizza stone...

hestHQal.jpg

Saturday was rib day. Wife wanted to clean out the attic. So I rubbed them and tossed them in a rib rack over a foil pan with a little water in it and coal on both sides. Checked and adjusted heat every now and then for 4 hours...

PrJg2MZl.jpg

Not bad. But my little brother's ribs, cooked on his homemade, air compressor tank, grill are still better.:xmad:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Cooking on wood or coals is sooo much better than gas. Gassers trade flavor for convenience, and the founders said those that would trade flavor for convenience, deserve neither!

I hear that all the time, surprisingly we win competitions a lot with our propane smokers beating out charcoal and wood almost every time. I like food cooked over wood, but I hate food cooked over charcoal because I always taste the charcoal flavor.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I hear that all the time, surprisingly we win competitions a lot with our propane smokers beating out charcoal and wood almost every time. I like food cooked over wood, but I hate food cooked over charcoal because I always taste the charcoal flavor.
    By charcoal, I mean natural lump, not the little poison briquettes. As far as winning competitions, I’ve got nothing for that, save that many of the BIG competitions, such as Memphis in May, don’t allow anything but wood or charcoal? Just as Indiana chili competitions sometimes allow PASTA?:puke::puke::puke:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    By charcoal, I mean natural lump, not the little poison briquettes. As far as winning competitions, I’ve got nothing for that, save that many of the BIG competitions, such as Memphis in May, don’t allow anything but wood or charcoal? Just as Indiana chili competitions sometimes allow PASTA?:puke::puke::puke:

Somebody get a rope!:xmad:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    First time in a while last night. Ribeyes with balsamic baby Portobello mushrooms, baked potato, and asparagus finished with some butter, honey cayenne, and lime. The wife doesn't like stinky pee (or most vegetables for that matter), so she got her usual canned green beans.
    ipmKsJ5.jpg

Last edited:

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Finally had a chance to post pics. Completely forgot to get a pic before they landed at the beginning. First pic is after 2 hours on and beginning of the wrap.

xetzm.jpg

Next pic is completed ribs.

2iaefdf.jpg

Plated up. No where near as fancy as you all, but still tasty!

a9xqoi.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Cooked some burgers on the Weber tonight. Ground chuck from a small local butcher shop. Life changing.:drool:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The GF is prepping a couple of racks of ribs for the smoker so I think I know what we're having for dinner tonight!:rockwoot:

Almost forgot the most important part; they're BOGO free at Maier right now!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Almost forgot the most important part; they're BOGO free at Maier right now!

I grabbed a couple racks from there this morning and tossed them in the freezer. I smoked two whole chickens and they're resting it foil till dinner. I've got some sweet potatoes and 8 jalapenos and 5 camilla peppers stuffed with a mixture of chorizo, cream cheese and a chihuaha & oaxaca cheese mix which will go on once dinner time draws near.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I did two 10# shoulders for pulled pork overnight and took them off about noon. They’re relaxing in a cooler until time to eat. I did two pans of smoked Mac n cheese plus a pan of baked beans on the BGE. Wifey made some southern slaw to go with. We and our guests will eat good this afternoon!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom