2vl309e.jpg

That's an awesome grill grate

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Reverse seared ribeye, baked sweet potatoes with brown sugar/cinnamon/cayenne butter and corn on the cob for dinner this evening.

JOqeroLh.jpg

Fnz20PSh.jpg

UGHOle1h.jpg

E1D2Ngih.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Smoked and smoked/steamed the 6 corned beefs today. Sliced one of each hot but got a point and a flat so not a fair comparison (the smoked point won the blind test, but no surprise there)

Chilled the other four and I'm going to run them through the deli slicer tonight. I have a (pictured) smoked point and a smoked steamed point that I will redo the blind test with.

y68tQj.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Sliced them up today and did an informal blind taste test with the wife, some kids, and HoosierKav who was stopping by to pick up some stuff. Hoosierkav found the smoke point and the steamed flat to be the top two. Smoked point was me and the wife's favorite, but the children preferred steamed point.

I crispedthe outside of the steamed ones under the broiler, but the big factor for me was that the crust and smoke penetration on the smoked only ones was much better.

At the end of the day, I think it is going to come down to a matter of personal preference. Both were tender and juicy and tasted like pastrami should. I broke out the Berkel.

To5v8N.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Put down 45lbs of butts on the Traeger and BGE today, 14 hour’s later, the Traeger butts are pulled and in pans, the BGE butts are stalled at 186*!:(

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    No water pan. The three on the Traeger were a bit smaller than the two on the Egg. But sheesh man the stall lasted until 2 A.M. so about a four and a half hour long stall. NOT fun.

I've not used a Traeger but in looking them over it would seem to provide a drier heat than the moisture retaining characteristics of the BGE (maybe?). Just wondering if that may have had anything to do with it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Decided to try another brisket. I put it on at 6pm and it was done this morning at 7:30. I cooked it at 215* and wrapped it in foil at 145*. The strange thing is that there was no stall whatsoever, just a slow steady increase in temp since putting it on. it's wrapped in foil then a towel and sitting in a cooler till dinner time. It wasn't very flexible raw, hopefully it'll be good.

YZFO884h.png

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My BBQ team (Team 30 Pack) had our first backyard BBQ contest of the year at the Ferdinand Heimatfest.

ueTz4EMl.jpg

cUGWP0Vl.jpg

JUjUd4Al.jpg

lcWaqIZl.jpg

VbQKn3Rl.jpg

I did the ribs and chicken for this contest. We ended up with a 2nd place in chicken, 1st in ribs, 4th in pulled pork, 2nd in brisket, and first overall.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom