Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Grilled some burgers and brat burgers. Yummeh.

FYI Meijer has the 26 count boxes of frozen quarter pound patties on sale for $13.99 down from $19.99. I had a choice of $1/patty fresh, or 53c each. Uhhhhhh... (not feeling it for making my own as I mix in herbs and spices and my kids dont really appreciate the difference yet)

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Definitely let us know how it turns out. Kinda related but I steam my chicken wings before I bake, then deep fry them. It's a noticeable difference in moisture content .

Finally the ribs are done. Impatiently letting them rest know.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Question for the experts. Was gifted this smoker. It doesnt appear to fit a slab of ribs. At least not flat. I'd have to put them in vertically.

Could I use this for ribs by somehow cutting the slabs down?

IMG_4230_sm.JPG

IMG_4231_sm.JPG

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've hung them before. I used to have a vertical smoker that I used hooks to smoke ribs. They came out just fine.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sliced the pastrami up this morning and just had my first sandwich, certainly no complaints here. I warmed the meat up in the microwave, put it on rye bread with Swiss cheese and mustard and it was excellent. I'll be doing the other one I have in the freezer the same way.

w0a67nvh.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Sliced the pastrami up this morning and just had my first sandwich, certainly no complaints here. I warmed the meat up in the microwave, put it on rye bread with Swiss cheese and mustard and it was excellent. I'll be doing the other one I have in the freezer the same way.

w0a67nvh.jpg

All that work and you warm it up in the microwave?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Inspired by Phylodog, I broke out six of the corned beef's I picked up at Meier on their 1.99 lb special and all 25+ pounds are now soaking in my sous vide 5 gallon bucket.

I'm going to have to try the steaming thing, maybe I'll do half that way and leave the other three in the smoker and compare.

tEsOE2.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I didn’t steam my attempts at pastrami, and they came out fabulous. I’m interested to see if steaming makes them better? The reason delis steam them is they don’t have the time or resources to smoke them low and slow. Shapiro’s uses an atmospheric steamer on their brisket to get it tender quick. I think that steaming a pastrami may be overkill, as it is not much more than smoked corned beef. The salt and spices in the corned beef brisket break down the meat fiber to make it more tender, and when you rinse, repeat, and season for pastrami, the low and slow heat breaks it down further. My :twocents:, and I may still be incorrect, but the steam thing came direct from the Shapiro’s HMF what is in charge of cooking.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My understanding is that some of the best known delis have steamed theirs for decades. I've not done a comparison of steamed vs non steamed so I'll be interested in hearing how Fargo's experiment turns out. This is only the second pastrami I've done and I don't recall how I did the first one so I really can't compare it to this one. I'm very pleased with how this one turned out so I will be doing more in the future this way unless Fargo convinces me otherwise.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    My understanding is that some of the best known delis have steamed theirs for decades. I've not done a comparison of steamed vs non steamed so I'll be interested in hearing how Fargo's experiment turns out. This is only the second pastrami I've done and I don't recall how I did the first one so I really can't compare it to this one. I'm very pleased with how this one turned out so I will be doing more in the future this way unless Fargo convinces me otherwise.
    Phylo, what internal temp did you steam them to?

My problem is that there are a mix of regular sodium and low-sodium flats, as well as a couple of points in that bucket. I know that the points are both regular, so I will probably use them as my comparison as I don't know how much of a difference the regular versus low sodium will make.

Also, went by Meijer tonight and they have the twin packs of Kingsford blue bag for 9.99 which is about 50% off if anyone wants to stock up. Limit two per transaction.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It was around 190* when I took the pot off of the burner. I let it sit in the pot for another half hour or so to cool a bit before trying to handle it. It went straight into two layers of foil and into the fridge from there.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We've got a couple of ten pond butts all prepped and ready to go into the smoker! The plan is to put the heat and smoke to them at midnight which should have them ready to go by about 4 pm. We've invite d some friends to join us tomorrow so it should be a good weekend. I'll get some pics as we progress but once the lids closed it stays closed; "if you're lookin' you ain't cookin' ".

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Just put 2 racks of baby back ribs on the Egg. Doing the 2-2-1 method, I will provide pics when they're done. Might even get a pic of my custom grill grates as well. ;)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have been lacking in smoking any meat so far this season. But I have a beautiful 14lb brisket sitting in the fridge that will be smoked with a mix of mesquite and oak.

So for general purpoae grilling, I used a weber kettle grill. Here lately the soot/grease build up on the lid has the vent stuck until the heat builds up enough then it slides with ease. So, my question is what do you guys recommend for cleaning a grill/lid?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom